Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a non trad so I dont have access to a pre-med advisor, so hopefully a few of you can help.

In the work activities, is it necessary to fill out all the areas listed, such as how many hours a week? For some of the stuff, I am in scientific societies that meets maybe once a year, so should I just leave that blank? Also, do I list my GPA anywhere, or do I just do the grades for each class and amcas calculates it? Finally, if I havent finished my pre req's for a few schools yet (biochem because it was just added this year as a pre req), do I need to say that I am taking it this year or do they just assume that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, I appreciate the help from fellow non trads.

Members don't see this ad.

You list the grades and amcas will determine your gpa post-verification.

Hours per week isn't absolutely necessary. I left some of them blank because some of the activities I listed were one time things.

Put down that you're taking biochem as a future class.

Oh but I'm not really non-trad so I guess you don't want my help. :banana:

Where would I write that I am taking biochem in the spring? Also, where do you list your shadowing? Under activities I am assuming, but would you write how many total hours you spent shadowing in the description or the hours per week? THanks again

when classes are listed on the amcas primary, there is an option to indicate that a class has not been complete, I believe the code is "FC" (future course). From what I learned, this is definitely helpful for some schools that want to confirm that, if accepted, the applicant will be able to keep up with the work as they have some familiarity with it already.

I listed shadowing under activities as a separate one (depending on how many you have, I believe only 15 separate activities can be listed). I'd listed I think an average # of hours per week or month, to be clear I'd listed "20 hrs shadowing this MD" on the writeup. I'd suggest writing what you did, why you did it, what you learned, and why it was important/relevant to you.

Don't forget leadership activities, this is a separate drag-down box in the primary under the activities section - I learned (last year) not to list professional jobs separately, but rather to parse out experiences from each job that may be relevant to medicine. Then explain how they are relevant. "lead this many people doing this thing". etc.