Boost resume for application in four years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR. Tran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the OK from my doctor that medical school is possible for me. I'm in tech wanting to work for the next four years to pay for my medical school education, and have some spending money while going through the process. What are some things I should do these four years to make the process be smoother and more successful?

Undergrad: Did poorly because of health issues. I have a cumulative of 3.32 gpa and sgpa maybe 3.0.
Masters in CS: 3.867 gpa taking computer science courses.

I know I need to retake classes or potentially do a special masters program (trying to avoid this cause I rather work and take classes). Do you guys have any recommendations?

Also, I'm 34 and I plan to have 2 babies from now until med school starts. (Also, input from mothers in med school would be appreciated as the second option is wait until my kids are kindergarten / elementary school age to start medical school).

I think if I wait a bit I would pay off a smaller cheaper house as well and my kids will be busy with school as I go through the process. Regardless, I need to prepare and would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess a career changer postbac or masters would be a good option. What are your medical school options closest to you? Having children and caring for a family limits your options geographically so I would make sure I'm in the right location where family and child care/schooling is convenient. Definitely not impossible but it does require a little discussion.

Just throwing out a question: would being a PA be appealing?