Application process question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internetwop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Gotta question. I'm taking the MCAT in August & applying for fall 2005. Can I start applying this summer to schools before I take the MCAT? I know I probably won't get my scores back until I guess October & ofcourse don't want to wait that long to apply. Also, do they send the scores directly to AMCAS or to the student, or both? Ok, just 1 more question, do schools only ask for your LOR's with your interview (if you get one) or can you send them with the application. Just some issues I wasn't completely clear on yet & just spending some time on the computer procrastinating going back to the Kaplan review book-having a hard time staying motivated to study for this test since I just finished the semester!! Peace & thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely apply before you take the MCAT but they won't review your application until your scores come in.

I believe the med schools want your LORs with your completed secondary and check.

in reply to your question.

for what it's worth...
according to a long, longtime med school advisor/dean at Brown University, an application with a late MCAT score will put you at a serious disadvantage (lethal i think was the word he used, but i wouldn't go that far), i.e. apply at your own peril. better to wait a year (and enjoy it/do something useful with your time, etc) and apply in sink with the process. i took the august MCAT, followed his advice, and it worked wonders come applying time (following this advice from Dean Riply = good solid acceptances at all the schools i applied to the year after).

good luck, whatever path you choose. :)

You can definitely send in your apps before your scores get back. I will be in this situation if I have to retake ( I took it in April). I think when you get your scores, you decide then where and if, to release (i.e. AMCAS). The letters I believe are w/ your primaries or secondaries (I've heard both, but some schools do not require secondaries). I plan on sending in my apps as soon as I have everything together that I can get together, and hope my scores are good *fingers crossed*
As a brief sidebar, if you're procastination leaves you feeling unprepared for the MCAT, consider waiting till April. This, of course, will put you in the entering class 2006, but it would be worth doing it once and doing it well. You could also gain valuable experience during that "off" time. Something to consider. :cool:

Well, I don't think I'm procrastinating to bad, I just finished the biology section of the MCAT Kaplan review book & now starting on the chemistry part. I really want to apply for Fall 2005, so now I'm really going to study everyday!! Thanks for advice all.