Application- New Pre PT student-Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,:)

Ok I just recently decided on doing DPT so I'm not too familiar with the whole application process. I just logged into PTCAS.

Can someone tell me approx. how many hours of observation we need? What's a good number? I know it varies between schools!

Under the the work category on the PTCAS site, do we list only Physical therapy related jobs we had?

Can we use anyone in the reference section or only Physical Therapists?

What is the licensure/certification section for?

& most importantly it seems like only the application for the 2008-2009 year is up.. :When does the 2009-2010 application cycle begin? :confused:

Please, Please help.

and lots of Good Luck/Karmic pts for anyone who responds.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me approx. how many hours of observation we need? What's a good number? I know it varies between schools!
Requirements vary greatly between schools, so there really is no good number. Take a look at every possible school you may apply to, and be sure to clearly surpass the highest number. Some schools have further requirements concerning your hours, so be sure to do some research beforehand.

Under the the work category on the PTCAS site, do we list only Physical therapy related jobs we had?
All work experience, PT related or not. Though PT related work experience should ALSO be listed in the PT experience section,

Can we use anyone in the reference section or only Physical Therapists?
This depends entirely on the schools you are applying to and what they require.

What is the licensure/certification section for?
Applicants may have professional licenses or certificates. For example, I included my state teaching license in this section.

& most importantly it seems like only the application for the 2008-2009 year is up.. :When does the 2009-2010 application cycle begin? :confused:
It began in August last year, but that was the first year for PTCAS. It may be different this year, but should still be somewhere around mid to late summer.

In addition, the "FAQ" section of the PTCAS website has loads of information, in addition to the "instructions" section. Almost everything you may need is covered there.
Good Luck!