APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? Not the VA Connecticut?

That's a very close second. I have more experience with the Memphis VA. I've had multiple former trainees (prac students and interns) go there for internship and postdoc over the years and have reported good things. Both sites have at least one faculty member from whom a good letter will open doors in the neuro field, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who didn’t match OR matched but are disappointed, how are you coping today?

I matched far down my list and am feeling grateful for matching but disappointed. Hard not to compare to others and the stats!
Be happy and thankful that you matched. Keep a positive attitude and excel at your site. It is not a life sentence, only a year and you get what you committed years achieve your goal to be a psychologist. Instead of comparing with others who you think got 'better deals' think of others who did not match at all. Do not be like a kid who screams because he did not get his favorite color of candy.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
That don't sound good...
APA accredition is the most important thing and it is only for a year. People do live in cities in the US which have high crime rates. You just have to be a little more cautious.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same boat as you, years ago, and felt all the same feelings. Since then, I've worked at one site that passed on me and now am in a leadership position in another one that passed on me. Don't think this is the end of the story! It's just the beginning.
Thanks for your comment. Especially for those of us who did not get #1 and are feeling miserable. Like you say it is not the end of story, maybe it could be the best for many as it was for you.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Be happy and thankful that you matched. Keep a positive attitude and excel at your site. It is not a life sentence, only a year and you get what you committed years achieve your goal to be a psychologist. Instead of comparing with others who you think got 'better deals' think of others who did not match at all. Do not be like a kid who screams because he did not get his favorite color of candy.
To be frank, this is incredibly invalidating. Many of us have worked hard and received results that are truly disappointing. It has been a very challenging year on top of that, and we have to allow people to voice their feelings. To compare those of us who overcame genuinely challenging situations to children throwing a tantrum about candy is just condescending. Maybe try to channel some empathy, and if you cannot, perhaps rethink your fit with the field of psychology yourself.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
To be frank, this is incredibly invalidating. Many of us have worked hard and received results that are truly disappointing. It has been a very challenging year on top of that, and we have to allow people to voice their feelings. To compare those of us who overcame genuinely challenging situations to children throwing a tantrum about candy is just condescending.
This ^^ Disappointment is valid.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Go Away GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
To be frank, this is incredibly invalidating. Many of us have worked hard and received results that are truly disappointing. It has been a very challenging year on top of that, and we have to allow people to voice their feelings. To compare those of us who overcame genuinely challenging situations to children throwing a tantrum about candy is just condescending. Maybe try to channel some empathy, and if you cannot, perhaps rethink your fit with the field of psychology yourself.
This 100%. This process was INCREDIBLY stressful and anxiety-provoking, as I think we can all attest to (given how much time most of us spent on here). I have never felt the level of anxiety I felt in the 24 hours before getting my match. We all poured our lives into this for so many months/years and it is completely valid to feel however we feel after it's over. AND no one else can understand this process, as well as all of us can for having gone through it, we need to support each other, not invalidate each others feelings!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
It really grinds my gears when others tell someone to "rethink their fit within the field of psychology" like how can you judge someone else you don't know based off of a comment they made on a thread?

Emotions are running high, people are having all sorts of uncomfortable feelings - which is normal given such an awful process. I agree though, we ALL should be empathic to how our fellow colleagues are feeling regardless of the match outcome

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to add something that I hope can be helpful for others. When I experience bittersweet moments instead of just purely happy or upsetting moments, it can be confusing for my body and sometimes create feelings of guilt or frustration. I find it helpful to first acknowledge that both gratitude and disappointment can exist simultaneously and then secondly ask myself which emotion needs tending to most urgently. Perhaps before I can fully and genuinely celebrate, I need to fully experience a grieving process for the fantasy and hopes that I created for myself and are now lost. Once I do this, I might find it easier to focus my attention on my new path and find ways to find beauty in the gratitude that exists for me. Or perhaps before I can fully grieve, I need to allow myself to feel relief and happiness for the newfound sense of safety that I feel. I repeat this process as often as I need to as it's common for celebration and sadness to move in cycles.

To me, I find the most success in approaching my self with a sense of curiosity and desire to listen to my body's sudden needs even if they don't make sense to my brain. Of course, it's important not to completely shut off my sense of judgement, but if my impulses are just strange and not harmful, I tend to give into them if that's what I need to do.

For those of you who did not match, you're in a tough position where you most likely need to grieve, but also have little time to do so if you want to get a jump on participating in Phase II. Even through the chaos, I hope you find time to tend to yourself and be gentle when possible. I know when I'm in similar situations, my body has the tendency to shove down the feelings until I deal with what's in front of me, and then unloads everything on me later in one sudden wave. If that sounds like you, my own experience would suggest that making sure that you tend to basic needs (sleep, food, hydration) and relying on some kind of support system will help mitigate the upcoming stress.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Just wanted to jump in and say I too am part of the “matched with a lower rank site”. It’s a pretty invalidating place to be. You’re disappointed, but don’t want to seem ungrateful because you did match with a good program which was the goal.
At the same time though, I am disappointed. I am mourning that disappointment. I really wanted to go to one of my top 2 sites... I loved the programs and had started envisioning what it would be like. To match with my 6# site was a bit shocking for me and initially opened the email I felt guilt for being unhappy. I matched after all, with an accredited site. That’s the goal! But seeing cohort mates, most of the tweets and posts out there, all saying matched with 1 or 2 spot makes you feel sad. But there’s no space for your sadness cause “at least you matched”.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 24 users
Just wanted to jump in and say I too am part of the “matched with a lower rank site”. It’s a pretty invalidating place to be. You’re disappointed, but don’t want to seem ungrateful because you did match with a good program which was the goal.
At the same time though, I am disappointed. I am mourning that disappointment. I really wanted to go to one of my top 2 sites... I loved the programs and had started envisioning what it would be like. To match with my 6# site was a bit shocking for me and initially opened the email I felt guilt for being unhappy. I matched after all, with an accredited site. That’s the goal! But seeing cohort mates, most of the tweets and posts out there, all saying matched with 1 or 2 spot makes you feel sad. But there’s no space for your sadness cause “at least you matched”.
I'm in the same boat! I matched with my #7 spot and I hadn't mentally prepared for matching below my top 3. I definitely agree how disheartening it is to see others post about matching in their top 2 or at sites that I had ranked higher (although I am happy for others). I'm allowing myself to just go through the different emotions about it this week. I'm sure everything will work out fine but the disappointment is real!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
It’s great to hear these validating comments :) I will continue to process how I feel about matching at the bottom of my list, which includes working with thoughts like I worked so hard all of grad school and jumped through hoops just for this less than ideal site.

I also am seeking out some info that would help me make the most of internship. What aspects of internship are the most important for postdocs, especially research heavy ones?

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
It’s great to hear these validating comments :) I will continue to process how I feel about matching at the bottom of my list, which includes working with thoughts like I worked so hard all of grad school and jumped through hoops just for this less than ideal site.

I also am seeking out some info that would help me make the most of internship. What aspects of internship are the most important for postdocs, especially research heavy ones?

I didn't attend a research-heavy postdoc, so I'll certainly defer to others who did. But my initial response would be either trying to get involved with some kind of research project at your internship site (even a pub may be unrealistic), or staying involved with ongoing research projects at your graduate program.

The likelihood of getting a new project off the ground and completed on internship is pretty minimal, but if there are ongoing projects, you may be able to jump on to one of those. Or you could start something new with the goal of staying involved after you complete internship, but with the understanding that there may not be much productivity from it during the year you're there.

I don't know if there are funding lines you can look into starting to apply for on internship, but that may also be an idea.

But before all that, if you haven't yet finished your dissertation, that should by far be your #1 priority.

Piggybacking off @AcronymAllergy do whatever you can to turn your dissertation into posters/pubs. Even if those pubs are listed under "Under Review" it will still help. That data is probably the easiest for you to turn around in the time given. Something else you can do if you have the time (assuming your dissertation is in a good spot) is to ask ahead to the internship site to see if there is a way to get involved with research prior to getting there. Whether that's becoming familiar with the projects, lit review, whatever. So that if there are projects ongoing, you can hit the ground running.

I'm in the same boat! I matched with my #7 spot and I hadn't mentally prepared for matching below my top 3. I definitely agree how disheartening it is to see others post about matching in their top 2 or at sites that I had ranked higher (although I am happy for others). I'm allowing myself to just go through the different emotions about it this week. I'm sure everything will work out fine but the disappointment is real!
It's really validating to see that I'm not alone, so I appreciate these comments. :) <3 It has been difficult for me to get into the swing of things this morning (practicum/research work) while trying to still process my match results. I too matched at my 7th site and didn't prepare (enough?) to match below my 4th. I even took an extra year to enhance my application in hopes of really solidifying my chances at matching with specific sites (jumped through so many hoops). I know we will likely all succeed in the end and appreciate our internship experiences, but keeping that in mind is difficult! Wishing you all the best moving forward!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
What aspects of internship are the most important for postdocs, especially research heavy ones?
I also didn't do a research-oriented postdoc but know some people who did (or went into academia).

If your internship is at an AMC or VA, there are likely ongoing projects that need somebody who is willing to devote large chunks of time and effort. You're likely to be able to find a mentor who doesn't have enough personal time to work on the project but would be willing to supervise/support.

If you don't have access at your training site, I would echo advice on finishing and then publishing your dissertation. I also know people who continued to stay active in lab projects at their school or continued to work with other previous collaborators.

A lot will depend on how much work will be left on your dissertation, how much of your free time you want to devote to research (especially if it's not part of a structured internship rotation), and the fit between new project opportunities and what you'd like to focus on during postdoc.

Anyone else shocked by the stats this year? Like biggest gap in supply and demand since 2015 😲

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else shocked by the stats this year? Like biggest gap in supply and demand since 2015 😲

There's been a pretty steady run up in positions in recent years, so there was always likely to be a plateau and maybe a pullback as places see how much these positions cost them. Additionally, the financial hits taken by the pandemic. Honestly, I'm surprised the loss of positions wasn't more pronounced.

Sending good vibes to the many excellent candidates going through Phase II and those applying next year <3 You have GOT this!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Sending good vibes to the many excellent candidates going through Phase II and those applying next year <3 You have GOT this!

LOVE your profile pic and accurate to my current feelings😂 Seconding this message - good luck to everyone with Phase II and for those who matched lower than expected, I hope you give yourselves some time to grieve (and when you're ready, open up to see the strengths of your program and the new experiences you'll gain).

• Love
Congrats to everyone who matched and sending waves of strength and motivation to all who are focused on Phase 2!

I was definitely a whole mess of sad/excited/conflicted about not making my Top 2 (while being immensely grateful for matching at all), but I'm working on reconciling my feelings around that because I know that the quality of training offered by my #3 will serve me well in my career development as a future health psychologist. Still tough to get back to work and focus on report writing today though -- which is why I'm here 👀

ANYWAY... here are my stats in the event that they may be helpful in the future!
Applied: 17
Interviews: 6
Matched: #3

**Question for Peds Neuro peeps**
My best friend and cohort-mate didn't match and is going into phase 2. Any recommendations/resources for finding APA accredited sites for peds/neuro that may not be part of APPIC? I want to be as supportive and helpful as possible!

I would like to add something that I hope can be helpful for others. When I experience bittersweet moments instead of just purely happy or upsetting moments, it can be confusing for my body and sometimes create feelings of guilt or frustration. I find it helpful to first acknowledge that both gratitude and disappointment can exist simultaneously and then secondly ask myself which emotion needs tending to most urgently. Perhaps before I can fully and genuinely celebrate, I need to fully experience a grieving process for the fantasy and hopes that I created for myself and are now lost. Once I do this, I might find it easier to focus my attention on my new path and find ways to find beauty in the gratitude that exists for me. Or perhaps before I can fully grieve, I need to allow myself to feel relief and happiness for the newfound sense of safety that I feel. I repeat this process as often as I need to as it's common for celebration and sadness to move in cycles.

To me, I find the most success in approaching my self with a sense of curiosity and desire to listen to my body's sudden needs even if they don't make sense to my brain. Of course, it's important not to completely shut off my sense of judgement, but if my impulses are just strange and not harmful, I tend to give into them if that's what I need to do.

For those of you who did not match, you're in a tough position where you most likely need to grieve, but also have little time to do so if you want to get a jump on participating in Phase II. Even through the chaos, I hope you find time to tend to yourself and be gentle when possible. I know when I'm in similar situations, my body has the tendency to shove down the feelings until I deal with what's in front of me, and then unloads everything on me later in one sudden wave. If that sounds like you, my own experience would suggest that making sure that you tend to basic needs (sleep, food, hydration) and relying on some kind of support system will help mitigate the upcoming stress.
Well put, thank you!!

• Care
I'm currently on internship and got a postdoc at a Center of Excellence with 75% research, feel free to DM if you want to talk more!

**Question for Peds Neuro peeps**
My best friend and cohort-mate didn't match and is going into phase 2. Any recommendations/resources for finding APA accredited sites for peds/neuro that may not be part of APPIC? I want to be as supportive and helpful as possible!

By definition, APA accredited sites are APPIC members. You can’t find any outside of the APPIC system.

Another reminder that taking a year and reapplying is much better than taking a non-accredited site in terms of future career.

By definition, APA accredited sites are APPIC members. You can’t find any outside of the APPIC system.

Another reminder that taking a year and reapplying is much better than taking a non-accredited site in terms of future career.
There are several sites like Loudon County Public Schools that are APA accredited but are not participating in the APPIC match. They (Loudon County) have even stated they are interested in people applying to them for internship. I did talk to the faculty at my school to see if they would let someone apply there who did not match in Phase I and I was told that my program would not allow that.

So I wanted to write about my experience in the Match Process as it may help some. Stats wise, I applied to 21 sites, I got 5 Interviews, I ranked 5 sites, and I got my #1. I didn't want to rank my number 5 site because we did not fit, but with only having 5 sites to list, I felt I needed to rank all 5 so I improved my chances at a match.

I knew, prior to interviews, I was not the strongest candidate. I had over 500 direct hours of therapy but very few assessment hours and I was unable to do a third year practicum. Covid prevented me from increasing my assessment hours as the last site I was at had no way to do remote assessments. I am not published and am not research oriented so, for some sites, I suspect they considered that a weakness. I also have 10 years of work experience in other fields prior to going the Psy.D route. I was happy with 5 interviews but wished I had more.

I spent weeks writing my essays as I knew that was they way I would convince people I was at least good enough for an interview. I had lots of feedback from friends and family and also got feedback from professors. Much of that feedback from professors was conflicting because they all have their own opinions but I made the best of it.

I knew what my weaknesses were going into the interview phase. I wrote down every question that may come up in the interview. I wrote at least two answers down for every question. I wanted the interviewers to know I had great experiences with a variety of patients and didn't talk about the same patient for every question. I got faculty and others in my cohort to do mock interviews with and then got feedback to my answers and used that to improve myself.

When the interviews came, I was still surprised by some questions that I didn't expect but thought I did well. I also spent time, when available in the interviews, to ask questions about the site to see if they provided opportunities that I was interested in or if I was a personality fit for the program.

Group interviews were eye opening experiences for me to see about other candidates. Candidates were openly critical of other candidates or schools on the calls with the interviewers. Some of people seem to take the interviews about ad serious as ordering from McDonalds or a team meeting with friends. They were dressed in Tshirts and look like their was little to no self care (basic grooming and cleanliness). One person was basically like a deer in headlights for the group interview and I can only hope she shined in her one on one sessions. Maybe in your interviews you say stuff that you can improve on or witnessed stuff that you want to emulate or avoid.

For those of you in round two, please reach out to friends for as much help as you can get. Don't be fake and put your best foot forward. I wish you the best.

Candidates were openly critical of other candidates or schools on the calls with the interviewers.
Yikes. This is more morbid curiosity than anything else, but what do you mean? I can't imagine pulling that off gracefully. Did the interviewers react well to that kind of thing? I think I would be pretty shocked if that was directed at me or if I witnessed it o_O

Yikes. This is more morbid curiosity than anything else, but what do you mean? I can't imagine pulling that off gracefully. Did the interviewers react well to that kind of thing? I think I would be pretty shocked if that was directed at me or if I witnessed it o_O
This was last year, but I had a group interview at a VA and the question was about PCMHI and what info we wished the doctor gave us before seeing the patient. I gave my answer and another applicant said “do you even think that would be helpful?” I was shocked. I told him the reason for my answer, but dang, people can be rough in person too.

I’m sorry there was a bad experience and I’m sure the interviewers recognize it.

• Haha
This was last year, but I had a group interview at a VA and the question was about PCMHI and what info we wished the doctor gave us before seeing the patient. I gave my answer and another applicant said “do you even think that would be helpful?” I was shocked. I told him the reason for my answer, but dang, people can be rough in person too.

I’m sorry there was a bad experience and I’m sure the interviewers recognize it.
Yeah, I'm sorry that happened to you. That was def uncalled for :/

Hi everyone,

Here are some numbers from a peer:
Applied to 19 sites ALL neuro
1 interview

They matched phase I and it is a great site. The point is, for those of you who are going into phase II, will apply again next year, are internship class of 2022, or are just lurkers that need some faith-don't give up hope. All it really takes is one site.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Not sure who all is aware, but ANST and SBN are hosting a webinar tonight (in about an hour - so sorry for the late notice) about navigating phase II. Greg Keilin is one of the presenters and there will be a recording available as well, here's the information from the email:

"The webinar will be live on the SBN YouTube channel at 7:30pm EST/4:30pm PST. bit.ly/soblackneuroyoutube. A recording will also be available for viewing after the event, but we strongly suggest attending the live event in order to submit questions for the panelists."

So I wanted to write about my experience in the Match Process as it may help some. Stats wise, I applied to 21 sites, I got 5 Interviews, I ranked 5 sites, and I got my #1. I didn't want to rank my number 5 site because we did not fit, but with only having 5 sites to list, I felt I needed to rank all 5 so I improved my chances at a match.

I knew, prior to interviews, I was not the strongest candidate. I had over 500 direct hours of therapy but very few assessment hours and I was unable to do a third year practicum. Covid prevented me from increasing my assessment hours as the last site I was at had no way to do remote assessments. I am not published and am not research oriented so, for some sites, I suspect they considered that a weakness. I also have 10 years of work experience in other fields prior to going the Psy.D route. I was happy with 5 interviews but wished I had more.

I spent weeks writing my essays as I knew that was they way I would convince people I was at least good enough for an interview. I had lots of feedback from friends and family and also got feedback from professors. Much of that feedback from professors was conflicting because they all have their own opinions but I made the best of it.

I knew what my weaknesses were going into the interview phase. I wrote down every question that may come up in the interview. I wrote at least two answers down for every question. I wanted the interviewers to know I had great experiences with a variety of patients and didn't talk about the same patient for every question. I got faculty and others in my cohort to do mock interviews with and then got feedback to my answers and used that to improve myself.

When the interviews came, I was still surprised by some questions that I didn't expect but thought I did well. I also spent time, when available in the interviews, to ask questions about the site to see if they provided opportunities that I was interested in or if I was a personality fit for the program.

Group interviews were eye opening experiences for me to see about other candidates. Candidates were openly critical of other candidates or schools on the calls with the interviewers. Some of people seem to take the interviews about ad serious as ordering from McDonalds or a team meeting with friends. They were dressed in Tshirts and look like their was little to no self care (basic grooming and cleanliness). One person was basically like a deer in headlights for the group interview and I can only hope she shined in her one on one sessions. Maybe in your interviews you say stuff that you can improve on or witnessed stuff that you want to emulate or avoid.

For those of you in round two, please reach out to friends for as much help as you can get. Don't be fake and put your best foot forward. I wish you the best.
I was reading your post and thinking "when did I write this? 👀" My experience was exactly the same as yours from how many sites I applied and interviews I received and feeling like I wasn't the strongest candidate because of a lack of assessment experience.

All in all though, I learned that being your authenticate self and trusting that you will end up at the place you're meant to be in very important. Sometimes it's hard to keep this in the forefront but it's so true. I know some people who had only 1 or 2 interviews and matched and I know people who had 7 or 8 interviews and did not match anywhere.

Defend and publish your dissertation!!!!

Anyone know how long after apps are due until sites start contacting applicants for interviews (Phase II)?

Has anybody else not received the appointment letter we are supposed to receive from TD within 7 days of match?

Has anybody else not received the appointment letter we are supposed to receive from TD within 7 days of match?

me, but I think my TD specified it’d be snail mail, which should be postmarked by the 7-day deadline

I applied for Phase 2 andam waiting for responses but assume we won't hear back until at least Monday.

• Care
me! I was thinking about this today. If I don't get it emailed by tomorrow afternoon I think I am going to reach out and ask the TD if I should be expecting it over email or snail mail.

One of the questions was specifically around practicum sites and experiences. Another question was around what was one of the more significant aspects of your schooling to prepare you for internship excluding the practicum experience. There were 3 or 4 students attending competing schools in the same metro area and after one person would answer, the next person would criticize the first candidates answer saying that was a bad praticum site or bad school etc. The interviewer basically acted like nothing happened and kept on going.

• Wow
  • Haha
Ew. That type of un-collegial behavior only reflects poorly on that person (and believe me, interviewers notice it as a big red flag).

For those of you who participated in Phase II: Happy Phase II Match Day! I’m thinking of you all. How did it go?

• Care
What’s with the “Easter egg title”?! 😂
I’ve seen random Easter and bunny-related phrases throughout various threads. Not sure what we’re supposed to do with that! Nobody else has mentioned it so far lol