App Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben_loper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted one of my apps, but I also just got another job relevant to my application, should I send an updated resume and explain why I sent it, or should I just leave it be? ~ Lope

Members don't see this ad.

ben_loper said:
I just submitted one of my apps, but I also just got another job relevant to my application, should I send an updated resume and explain why I sent it, or should I just leave it be? ~ Lope
Not if you have to pay major $$ for re-applying :D

I'd say call the program(s) in question and tell them you just got so-and-so, and ask if this info can also be added to your App. That's the best I can think of, cause I have never heard of anyone in your shoes.

ben_loper said:

Definitley send it! Look up the email address of either the head of the dept. you are applying for or someone in admissions and email them with it attached as a pdf. All you have to write is something like "please replace my resume with the updated version attached" You don't have to tell them what has changed, just that something has. If they haven't already gone through your file it will just take the place of the old one and no one will know, or if they have gone through your file, they'll just look at it and figure out what has been updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is relevant to your application, go ahead and send the updated resume. I don't think you need to go into great detail about your reasons. I would call or e-mail the admissions contact person -- they are usually administrators or administrative assistants of some sort who are actually the ones making sure all of the pieces of your application are kept together and sent to the right committees -- to let them know it's coming. A simple note to the contact person explaining that you have updated your resume and want the new one to supersede the old one would probably be sufficient. In my experience, contact people were often quite helpful at dealing with little administrative glitches, particularly if you make personal contact with them. If it's too late (i.e. if your full application has already been sent off and can't be retrieved from the faculty, or it doesn't jive with their policy) they might let you know not to bother.

I just got an interview, and in the email requesting I sent this back asking the question, so thanks for the help, and I guess I'll just wait and hear back.

To Whom It May Concern,
Yes, I would be delighted to interview February the 10th. I have one question that possibly you could answer. I recently got a job maintaining the database for the psychology department, which is relevant to my MSHI application; however I sent my resume prior to obtaining the job. Should I send a follow-up resume with the additional job listing, or is this something medial enough to simply bring it up in the interview process? Again, I would be delighted to interview on the 10th, and simply need to know what time and where. Sincerely, Ben Loper