MPH SOPHAS app help with academic dishonesty on record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flawedmph

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could help me with a slightly rare and very embarrassing question.

I do have academic dishonesty and a suspension on my transcript for a charge of plagiarism (from 2013). I was a ridiculously irresponsible student and wrote a paper that was half the length it was supposed to be and I didn't pay as much attention to in-text citations as I should have. I think about it every day and want to shake my past self for not caring enough about grades and putting out good work. Needless to say, I failed that class and the rest of my grades aren't very impressive either (have a cumulative GPA of 2.9 even after taking some post-bac classes).

I have learned and grown a LOT since then. Went back the following semester to get my degree and have been at a good public health-adjacent job since. I want to represent myself accurately on SOPHAS and be forthcoming about what happened. Problem is - the box that asks you to explain the incident and lessons you've learned only allows for 500 characters. Would it be appropriate to talk about it more in depth in the Additional Experience section (even though this only allows for 600 characters). I still plan on mentioning it in my SOP but don't want to dwell on what happened and only want to touch on how the incident and what followed shaped my desire to be a public health practitioner.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the most important things are to be honest about the situation and convey how you've grown. I also think it's completely reasonable to include a longer explanation in a separate document. Best of luck in your application process!