AP Credits and Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maido

Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify if we use an AP class like chemistry as a prereq, do med schools count that as a semester of inorganic lab experience? Not sure if high school teachers are forced to incorporate lab into the course but you definitely didn't need a ton of lab experience to get a 5 on the test.
Also a question for HMS specifically (not that it's anything but a pipe dream rn): the chem requirement asks for "two years of chemistry including inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry" and says "lab experience required." Does that second bullet point mean that the biochem class needs to have a lab component? I have AP chem, orgo I & II, and an advanced inorganic chem with lab so I have two years of lab experience already if AP chem counts.

Members don't see this ad.

All the info can be found on MSAR so if you haven't bought that already would recommend buying it, it's very affordable for the amount of info you get.

Whether a school accepts AP credit for pre-requisites is up to the school so you'll have to do some digging for the schools on your list through MSAR. Specifically for HMS, they do not require lab for biochem according to MSAR.