AP credit question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin05

Reaction score
My undergrad counts the intro bio course and its lab as separate credits. I used my AP to get out of the first semester of intro bio but still took the lab and got credit. I did the second half of the intro bio and lab the next semester. I took upper-level biology courses after this—no labs. If med schools say that I need a year of biology with lab, would this count?

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad counts the intro bio course and its lab as separate credits. I used my AP to get out of the first semester of intro bio but still took the lab and got credit. I did the second half of the intro bio and lab the next semester. I took upper-level biology courses after this—no labs. If med schools say that I need a year of biology with lab, would this count?
What did your prehealth advisors tell you? It's hard to answer without confirming your transcript or what options your biology department gave you.

Reactions: 1 user
What did your prehealth advisors tell you? It's hard to answer without confirming your transcript or what options your biology department gave you.
They said it was generally fine. But their answer isn't specific to any school. General bio is taught in one year (bio 1 & 2) and labs are separate classes. AP credit transfer only gets you out of the lecture section. Labs are rare for biology courses at my undergrad (e.g. Bio major only had labs on their transcript from general bio). Biochem, genetics, human phys all do not have labs. Transcript says:

Bio 1: AP credit transfer
Bio 1 lab: completed in college
Bio 2: completed in college
Bio 2 lab: completed college

I have 3 upper-level bio courses and a bunch of upper-level neuroscience courses. I am not sure if this fulfills the requirements if the language goes like this: "one year of biology with laboratory."

Members don't see this ad :)