AOFAS approved Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stafocker

DPM=Foot Ankle Authority
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to read about these fellowships because only a handful (5-6) are approved by the ACGME certifying board. AOFAS' stance on podiatry is that our residencies need to be approved by ACGME... kind of a double standard if you think about. Anyways, these are not the only Orthopedic foot & Ankle fellowships our there, just the ones associated with "Match" (NRMP.org, National Residency Matching Program). Since our residencies are not in the NRMP, most likely Pods aren't allowed in the "Match" process, but someone would have to confirm this for me.

One of them most notable Fellowships not listed is the Rubin Institute (Dr. Paley of Baltimore MD). Apparently, that one is not a comprehensive Foot & Ankle Fellowship, but mostly research, biomechanical, and some surgical (please correct me if i'm mistaken) so it is not considered a true Orthopedic Foot & Ankle fellowship. It's notable because Dr. Bradley Lamm was one of the first DPM's (I think the only) that went through it and is now on STAFF at a prestigous institution. Dr. Lamm (West Penn grad) is not the only DPM to be accepted by a fellowship by an Ortho, but he's probably the most mentioned. I believe this is the website for the fellowship, though I may be mistaken. Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/body_rubin.cfm?id=1541

There are several Foot & Ankle Fellowships by DPM's for DPM's, but this thread is to address ones set up by MD's (orthos).

I've attached AOFAS Orthopedic Fellowships for viewing. Here is the website for more information:

http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4432

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2009_2010_Fellowship_Programs_9-27-07.doc
    160 KB · Views: 314
It's interesting to read about these fellowships because only a handful (5-6) are approved by the ACGME certifying board. AOFAS' stance on podiatry is that our residencies need to be approved by ACGME... kind of a double standard if you think about. Anyways, these are not the only Orthopedic foot & Ankle fellowships our there, just the ones associated with "Match" (NRMP.org, National Residency Matching Program). Since our residencies are not in the NRMP, most likely Pods aren't allowed in the "Match" process, but someone would have to confirm this for me.

One of them most notable Fellowships not listed is the Rubin Institute (Dr. Paley of Baltimore MD). Apparently, that one is not a comprehensive Foot & Ankle Fellowship, but mostly research, biomechanical, and some surgical (please correct me if i'm mistaken) so it is not considered a true Orthopedic Foot & Ankle fellowship. It's notable because Dr. Bradley Lamm was one of the first DPM's (I think the only) that went through it and is now on STAFF at a prestigous institution. Dr. Lamm (West Penn grad) is not the only DPM to be accepted by a fellowship by an Ortho, but he's probably the most mentioned. I believe this is the website for the fellowship, though I may be mistaken. Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/body_rubin.cfm?id=1541

There are several Foot & Ankle Fellowships by DPM's for DPM's, but this thread is to address ones set up by MD's (orthos).

I've attached AOFAS Orthopedic Fellowships for viewing. Here is the website for more information:

http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4432

It is good that you post a listing of the Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Fellowships. The topic of DPMs that have done Orthopedic Fellowships have been address in a previous thread. One can read more about it at:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-446899.html

In regards to Dr. Paley's fellowship, it is NOT a foot and ankle fellowship. It is a fellowship in Limb Deformity. Dr. Lamm is not the only DPM to have done this fellowship. There have been some other West Penn graduates that have completed fellowship. I believe that Krabmas had also mentioned that a NYCPM grad is either completing or have completed the Dr. Paley's fellowship.

It is good that you post a listing of the Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Fellowships. The topic of DPMs that have done Orthopedic Fellowships have been address in a previous thread. One can read more about it at:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-446899.html

In regards to Dr. Paley's fellowship, it is NOT a foot and ankle fellowship. It is a fellowship in Limb Deformity. Dr. Lamm is not the only DPM to have done this fellowship. There have been some other West Penn graduates that have completed fellowship. I believe that Krabmas had also mentioned that a NYCPM grad is either completing or have completed the Dr. Paley's fellowship.

Thanks, I've posted in that thread before and then removed my post earlier for conflicts of interest. But I just wanted to point out the AOFAS approved Foot & Ankle Fellowships and give ppl an actual reference for them. We constantly here about these fellowships, but I wanted to allow ppl to see for themselves at AOFAS.

the AO fellowship is another one that should be mentioned, too. A UPMC grad has just been accepted for an AO fellowship. I don't have any details, but I can ask him if ppl have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I've posted in that thread before and then removed my post earlier for conflicts of interest. But I just wanted to point out the AOFAS approved Foot & Ankle Fellowships and give ppl an actual reference for them. We constantly here about these fellowships, but I wanted to allow ppl to see for themselves at AOFAS.

the AO fellowship is another one that should be mentioned, too. A UPMC grad has just been accepted for an AO fellowship. I don't have any details, but I can ask him if ppl have questions.

If you have any questions about the AO fellowship, you are welcome to ask me about it. I did my AO Fellowship in Switzerland back earlier this year. Two of my residents will be doing their AO fellowship as well. One will be doing his at Switzerland and the other will be doing his at Germany.

If you have any questions about the AO fellowship, you are welcome to ask me about it. I did my AO Fellowship in Switzerland back earlier this year. Two of my residents will be doing their AO fellowship as well. One will be doing his at Switzerland and the other will be doing his at Germany.

Is it true that there is a waiting list every year for the AO fellowship? How many do they take a year? Thanks.

Are their any other notable fellowships that haven't been mentioned? Is the Ilizarov course a fellowship or just a course? Are their any TAR fellowships out there? thanks.

Is it true that there is a waiting list every year for the AO fellowship? How many do they take a year? Thanks.

Are their any other notable fellowships that haven't been mentioned? Is the Ilizarov course a fellowship or just a course? Are their any TAR fellowships out there? thanks.

It is true that there is a waiting list every year for the AO Fellowship. On the average, it is about a 2 - 3 years waiting list. According to the AO/ASIF Fellowship Coordinator in US, they have somewhere between 5 - 8 slots for DPMs every year. If you are interested in doing your AO/ASIF Fellowship, you would need to apply for your AO Fellowship as soon as possible. I ended up doing my AO Fellowship approximately 6 months after completion of my residency training. In order to apply for the AO Fellowship, you must complete one of the AO Principles' courses. For DPMs, they will accept the AO/ASIF Basic Podiatry Course or the AO/ASIF Advanced Podiatry Course, in lieu of the AO Principles' course. My current second year resident, who applied earlier this year, has been accepted for the AO Fellowship for 2009. Of course, there are certain residency programs, such as Seattle, have arrangements directly with some of the AO/ASIF Fellowship sites in Europe. If you have any questions specifically about the AO Fellowship, feel free to ask.

There is an Ilizarov Fellowship at Kurgan. However, Smith & Nephew has decided not to sponsor the fellowship program. Hence, it is not available and you no longer see the Ilizarov Fellowship advertised on ACFAS. Of course, I am sure that some people can contact the Ilizarov Institute in Kurgan to set something up. The resident that just graduated from my residency program did the Kurgan Ilizarov Fellowship and had said that it was a great experience and he had learned a great deal.

To my knowledge, I do not know of any TAR fellowship out there. There are some training courses, such as DePuy Agility TAR course and other implant courses.

There are several other opportunities out there for DPMs to do their fellowship. Several of the residency programs have set up one month rotations with various sites in the world. For example, there is a residency program in Florida that sends their residents to Israel. I am not sure if that program still does this or not. There are other programs that send residents to Rome or Germany for a month. I know of an Orthopedic Trauma fellowship in Europe that is open to DPMs. But this fellowship is not focused on the lower extremity only.

It is true that there is a waiting list every year for the AO Fellowship. On the average, it is about a 2 - 3 years waiting list. According to the AO/ASIF Fellowship Coordinator in US, they have somewhere between 5 - 8 slots for DPMs every year. If you are interested in doing your AO/ASIF Fellowship, you would need to apply for your AO Fellowship as soon as possible. I ended up doing my AO Fellowship approximately 6 months after completion of my residency training. In order to apply for the AO Fellowship, you must complete one of the AO Principles' courses. For DPMs, they will accept the AO/ASIF Basic Podiatry Course or the AO/ASIF Advanced Podiatry Course, in lieu of the AO Principles' course. My current second year resident, who applied earlier this year, has been accepted for the AO Fellowship for 2009. Of course, there are certain residency programs, such as Seattle, have arrangements directly with some of the AO/ASIF Fellowship sites in Europe. If you have any questions specifically about the AO Fellowship, feel free to ask.

There is an Ilizarov Fellowship at Kurgan. However, Smith & Nephew has decided not to sponsor the fellowship program. Hence, it is not available and you no longer see the Ilizarov Fellowship advertised on ACFAS. Of course, I am sure that some people can contact the Ilizarov Institute in Kurgan to set something up. The resident that just graduated from my residency program did the Kurgan Ilizarov Fellowship and had said that it was a great experience and he had learned a great deal.

To my knowledge, I do not know of any TAR fellowship out there. There are some training courses, such as DePuy Agility TAR course and other implant courses.

There are several other opportunities out there for DPMs to do their fellowship. Several of the residency programs have set up one month rotations with various sites in the world. For example, there is a residency program in Florida that sends their residents to Israel. I am not sure if that program still does this or not. There are other programs that send residents to Rome or Germany for a month. I know of an Orthopedic Trauma fellowship in Europe that is open to DPMs. But this fellowship is not focused on the lower extremity only.

Great info! Thanks for everything!