AOBIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has taken AOBIM, what is your advice on preparing for it? Any comparison to ABIM? Any specific OMT covered on exam?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Another AOBIM question. What % of DO's take the AOBIM vs the ABIM? What is the most recent pass rate for the AOBIM exam? (I do know the pass rate for the ABIM exam was 88% in 2021.)

Last edited:
Another AOBIM question. What % of DO's take the AOBIM vs the ABIM? What is the most recent pass rate for the AOBIM exam? (I do know the pass rate for the ABIM exam was 88% in 2021.)
It really is trending down. I read some test maker saying it was a set 64% to pass, but I dont believe any test is like that anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It really is trending down. I read some test maker saying it was a set 64% to pass, but I dont believe any test is like that anymore.
I heard the neurology DO board has a set number. I think it is this way with the IM test

What is the advantage or thought process for that matter of taking one over the other?

What is the advantage or thought process for that matter of taking one over the other?
In my opinion, you should take the ABIM exam if you anticipate no problems passing it. The most current pass rate is 88%. However, if you are a poor test taker, the AOBIM exam is probably easier, so that may be a better path for some.

Attachments

• ABIM certification-pass-rates.pdf
    106.4 KB · Views: 84
In my opinion, you should take the ABIM exam if you anticipate no problems passing it. The most current pass rate is 88%. However, if you are a poor test taker, the AOBIM exam is probably easier, so that may be a better path for some.
All things being equal with passing the exam, why would you suggest taking ABIM?

All things being equal with passing the exam, why would you suggest taking ABIM?
Probably if you don't want to be silently judged or some academic center requires it. Anecdotally a friend applied to a job with UCLA and was told to take ABIM even though the state bans discrimination of this type

Probably if you don't want to be silently judged or some academic center requires it. Anecdotally a friend applied to a job with UCLA and was told to take ABIM even though the state bans discrimination of this type
I assume this will become more the norm in the future.

ACGME often requires ABIM certification for attendings.

Since my fellowship ended up being ACGME after the merger I'm retroactively eligible for ABIM certification. I'm tempted to do it just to keep options open.