AOBIM sues ABIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AOA Files Suit Against ABIM

I love it when one board fights another. It's like rivaling drug cartels going at it. You avoid the both of them and hope they kill each other.

Ya know, if we got rid of or at least de-emphasized board certification, recognizing that it's an un-necessary credential, we wouldn't have such conflicts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
AOA Files Suit Against ABIM

I love it when one board fights another. It's like rivaling drug cartels going at it. You avoid the both of them and hope they kill each other.

Ya know, if we got rid of or at least de-emphasized board certification, recognizing that it's an un-necessary credential, we wouldn't have such conflicts!
Unless there is a super easy path for AOA certified doctors to become ABIM certified then this lawsuit has merit.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless there is a super easy path for AOA certified doctors to become ABIM certified then this lawsuit has merit.

Any dig at the ABIM and their monopolizing tactics, I am for! It's unconscionable that at this present time, somebody might lose their job, especially a much-need PD in a leadership position--b/c they're not ABIM BC'd.

Ya know, I had a patient once, a very smart Harvard MBA. She asked me what my 'Board' was affiliated with, what exactly did they govern? The hospital credentialing, the local university, the state licensure? (she was trying to draw analogy to her company, and it's 'Board' of directors, with whom she meets every week and discusses company issues).

I explained to her none of the above, it's a Board for the sake of a Board! It's somewhere in Philly, and most of us will never meet it's officers. Except for our performance on a test, they know nothing about us and what we do!

She expressed her bewilderment and how, from a business model, that made no sense, and how stupid doctors/institutions are for buying into it.

Yeah, no kidding!

Members don't see this ad :)
ABIM’s proposed policy doesn’t make sense (sorta) because look at ABIM’s own Pathway D:

Candidates for Special Consideration | ABIM.org

Pathway D: Graduates of AOA-accredited training programs who have completed ACGME-accredited fellowship training​

A graduate of an ACGME-accredited fellowship program who has successfully completed training in internal medicine in an AOA-accredited residency program may become eligible to achieve ABIM Board Certification in Internal Medicine as a candidate for special consideration.
AOBIM Certification does not meet the underlying certification requirement for ABIM Board Certification in a subspecialty.
Who is Eligible?
Eligible fellows will have:
  • Completed three or more years of verified graduate medical education training in internal medicine in an AOA-accredited residency program and/or certified by the AOBIM.
  • Completed all required subspecialty training in an ACGME accredited fellowship program.
  • Satisfactory subspecialty training must be attested for each year of subspecialty fellowship training via ABIM's FasTrack Clinical Competence Evaluation System. Those who pass ABIM's Internal Medicine Certification Examination would then become eligible for subspecialty certification.

Soooooo if they allow AOA trained people to take the ABIM board, why not have an AOA trained person have a PD position , especially after the merger? They are kinda contradicting themselves a bit.

ABIM’s proposed policy doesn’t make sense (sorta) because look at ABIM’s own Pathway D:

Candidates for Special Consideration | ABIM.org

Pathway D: Graduates of AOA-accredited training programs who have completed ACGME-accredited fellowship training​

A graduate of an ACGME-accredited fellowship program who has successfully completed training in internal medicine in an AOA-accredited residency program may become eligible to achieve ABIM Board Certification in Internal Medicine as a candidate for special consideration.
AOBIM Certification does not meet the underlying certification requirement for ABIM Board Certification in a subspecialty.
Who is Eligible?
Eligible fellows will have:
  • Completed three or more years of verified graduate medical education training in internal medicine in an AOA-accredited residency program and/or certified by the AOBIM.
  • Completed all required subspecialty training in an ACGME accredited fellowship program.
  • Satisfactory subspecialty training must be attested for each year of subspecialty fellowship training via ABIM's FasTrack Clinical Competence Evaluation System. Those who pass ABIM's Internal Medicine Certification Examination would then become eligible for subspecialty certification.

Soooooo if they allow AOA trained people to take the ABIM board, why not have an AOA trained person have a PD position , especially after the merger? They are kinda contradicting themselves a bit.
Not kind of, it's definitely a contradiction.

AOBIM vs ABIM vs ABPS vs NBPS.

They're all like religions .... Each with it's own set of rules, none of them depicting any reality.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
For those who don’t know , you could go work at the VA and avoid the ridiculous ABIM rip off

I don't see the contradiction. Pathway D lets DO grads that did an AOA residency take the ABIM exam. The PD policy allows ABOIM certified program directors take the ABIM exam. The issue here is whether ABOIM certification should be "good enough" or is the ABIM exam required. Personally, I would have allowed all ABOIM certified docs to be PD's, then require the ABIM exam when they get to their recertification.