Anyone willing to look at a personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitch Warner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I careen headlong towards my first application deadlines, the only part of my apps I'm still feeling quite insecure about is the personal statement. Is there any kind, experienced soul out there willing to take a look at what I've got and offer any thoughts? I'd be forever in your debt! If you're willing, I'll happily private-message or email it to you.

Either way, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what for me is a very central question: as I am applying to 5 Psy.D.s and 3 very clinically-focused Ph.Ds (CUNY, Adelphi, and LIU Brooklyn), is it okay for me to make fairly plain that my ultimate career interests run toward clinical/private practice, or is it essential that I express serious interest in research, even to highly clinically-oriented Ph.D.s?

(I know, I know: some of you think no one should apply to ANY Ph.D. without a passion for research, but that's not really what I'm asking here.) :)

Many many thanks.
-MW

Members don't see this ad.

i applied to the same schools last year and i think, unfortunately, that you need to slightly tailor the statement to each school - look, for instance, at the cirriculum - what you will be asked to study at CUNY is very different than what you will study at a top PsyD program - although CUNY is a clincially-oriented program, you still need to take all of the PhD research type courses (which, incidentally, will do nothing to make you a good clincian) - while everyone at CUNY intends to become clinicians, they are not really comfortable stating this to faculty

email me your personal statement - i would be pleased to give you my two cents

i applied to the same schools last year and i think, unfortunately, that you need to slightly tailor the statement to each school - look, for instance, at the cirriculum - what you will be asked to study at CUNY is very different than what you will study at a top PsyD program - although CUNY is a clincially-oriented program, you still need to take all of the PhD research type courses (which, incidentally, will do nothing to make you a good clincian) - while everyone at CUNY intends to become clinicians, they are not really comfortable stating this to faculty

email me your personal statement - i would be pleased to give you my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget you can ask your undergrad prof's to review your statement. How about your letter writers?

As I careen headlong towards my first application deadlines, the only part of my apps I'm still feeling quite insecure about is the personal statement. Is there any kind, experienced soul out there willing to take a look at what I've got and offer any thoughts? I'd be forever in your debt! If you're willing, I'll happily private-message or email it to you.

Either way, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what for me is a very central question: as I am applying to 5 Psy.D.s and 3 very clinically-focused Ph.Ds (CUNY, Adelphi, and LIU Brooklyn), is it okay for me to make fairly plain that my ultimate career interests run toward clinical/private practice, or is it essential that I express serious interest in research, even to highly clinically-oriented Ph.D.s?

(I know, I know: some of you think no one should apply to ANY Ph.D. without a passion for research, but that's not really what I'm asking here.) :)

Many many thanks.
-MW

Could I look at your PS for reference since I'm trying to edit my PS?