Anyone who applied to ICO last year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bd722

ICO class of 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was just wondering who applied to ICO in the last year's cycle and heard really late from ICO after applying?

I applied about over 5 weeks (Aug. 26th) I still haven't heard from them! I am getting really worried because ppl who applied after me on this forum are already getting interviews.

I have a 370 TS 380 AA (all subscores over 350) and a decent GPA, experience working with an ophthalmologist and an optometrist, good ECs, etc. I called them twice in the past two weeks and they keep telling me "You should hear from us soon"...my application is complete and I have taken all the pre-reqs.

Do you guys know what might be going on or what they might be looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree......it's very hard during this time of the cycle...but you must be patient. I can only imagine the number of applications they must be going through on a daily basis...so it does take time, but hopefully the waiting pays off for you in the end. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I call them again or would that be too annoying? It just doesn't make sense why especially since I applied so early...I feel like people on this forum who applied late in September have already heard from them...

Jay12:

what do you like about ICO? what made you pick that school to apply/attend? were you deciding between any other schools?

Jay12:

what do you like about ICO? what made you pick that school to apply/attend? were you deciding between any other schools?

I heard really good things about the school.....particularly the clinical experience.......I've heard many say that "If you don't see it at ICO (i.e. a particular clinical case), you won't see it anywhere else."

Plus, not having any knowledge about Chicago or the surrounding area, its great to have the RC complex right across the street....and believe, when you have those 8:00 a.m. exams, you're really thankful you chose to come here..........I wake up 5 - 10 minutes before an exam.....take the exam.....and come back and go to sleep :D

Having the Illinois Eye Institute built into the school also has its perks, since I don't have to worry about transportation to get there (i.e. buying a car, transferring buses, asking people for rides, etc...) when it comes time for clinicals, unlike other schools that have their clinics situated throughout their city.

Overall, I just got a really good vibe from everyone when having come for the interview......

Oh......we just got to see the newly renovated third floor of the school (with all of the labs), and I can honestly say that it is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! Anyone that comes here for the interview must definitely check it out...

Hope that helped somewhat.....if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Good luck :thumbup:

Those are all the reasons why ICO is my first choice!

Jay12-Do all the first year students get to live in the RC? Is there enough room for everyone in their first year? I am asking this because I am not sure if it matters when you decide to accept their seat or get accepted. Does getting accepted earlier help you get a room in the RC?

Is it possible that I might be getting one of those emails from them saying they are unsure and they want to do a second review in Jan/Feb?? But that doesn't make sense...It's so hard to be patient at this point! :(

I really want to go to ICO...I was accepted at SCO a couple weeks ago and I just interviewed at IU this past Monday...

bd722,

im interviewing at IU in a couple of weeks. any thoughts? was it stressful? questions asked? thanks.

It was good...not that stressful...very casual...PM me if you have any specific questions

Those are all the reasons why ICO is my first choice!

Jay12-Do all the first year students get to live in the RC? Is there enough room for everyone in their first year? I am asking this because I am not sure if it matters when you decide to accept their seat or get accepted. Does getting accepted earlier help you get a room in the RC?

Yes.....the school goes to great lengths to ensure that all incoming students can get a room at the RC. However, regardless of when you got your acceptance, forms (contracts) for living in the RC do not arrive to you until late May or early June........the earlier you send those in, the greater the chance of obtaining a single room (which I would highly recommend!!!!), but your pretty much guaranteed of obtaining a double room regardless of what happens. :thumbup:

So I called ICO yesterday again for the third time and they told me my app is in the final stages of the review! This is so ridiculous! they are still reviewing my file like 6 weeks later! Now, I am really worried I am getting bad news because I feel like most people who got interviews heard from them within 3-4 weeks!

All this waiting is killing me! :mad:

wow bd722! I can not believe its taking them that long. I hope this does not happen to me. I just applied a week ago but my friends who got in last year did not apply until November and got interviewed and accepted to ICO in January. Their grades were ok... but still I just cannot imagine ICO is this slow!

I FINALLY got my ICO interview after exactly 8 weeks of waiting not so patiently!!