Anyone taking the OAT this Aug?

SightIsPrecious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking it mid-Aug. I still have gen. chem and o.chem to fully review... how far are you guys? I'm working full time so it's pretty much some weeknights and weekends for me. I have exactly 1 mo. left, and started about 3 weeks ago. I guess I am starting to get a bit nervous about this..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm signed up to take it August 3rd in Boise, ID. I have been studying since mid April for about 20 hours a week. This is what I've done:

Read the entire comprehensive MCAT book
Listened to and transcribed audio cassettes (audio learn)
Taken 5 practice sets for each of the sciences (from the Kaplan Course)

For the next three weeks I'm going through the OAT destroyer, taking the practice tests from Top Score, and the practice tests from the Kaplan OAT book. If I have time I'll go through the destroyer for a second time.

Not sure what else I can do besides get Achiever, but I don't think I have time for any more practice tests.

hey, I am preparing for the OAT also. I am registered to take it on Aug 25..but if I don't feel ready by then, I may push it to mid-September.. Regarding the original poster, I am also in your shoes, I haven't finished all of my review materials yet. I'm still working on QR + RC, but have finished the sciences..I just have to go back and do many practice questions after I finish working on qr+rc.
How have you guys been preparing? I have been using the kaplan book from the course and their practice tests.. I also bought the destroyer since it seems to have a good rep on this forum, but haven't worked through much of it yet. Where are you guys planning on applying? I am applying to SUNY, ICO, NECO, and PCO..hopefully I'll get into SUNY as it is my #1 choice.. :scared:

gosh I am not even looking at the application stuff until I am done with the OAT (only around 3 weeks left). but I am applying to SUNY, SCCO, and UCBSO.
As far as study materials go, I have been using the kaplan DAT review book and a comprehensive MCAT book. I think reviewing the material again from a different test book is beneficial. I am using the thin kaplan OAT book for practice problems.

Good luck with your studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
i took the oat on june 23rd. it was not so good. i did bad, 310. that was the first time i've taken this test, but i think i would have prefered the paper and pencil version. the computer version did not take nearly as much time but still. you can go from page to page easier and underline things and right on the margins, etc.

i'm taking the OAT on Monday....eeeee! i'm both scared and ready to take it and move on to bigger and better (and less daunting) things!

i took the oat on june 23rd. it was not so good. i did bad, 310. that was the first time i've taken this test, but i think i would have prefered the paper and pencil version. the computer version did not take nearly as much time but still. you can go from page to page easier and underline things and right on the margins, etc.

I feel the same way about taking it on the computer - the paper version is just much easier on the eyes!;) And I like being able to underline things too. I also think they should allow a simple calculator. They already know we can do arithmetic - all those calculations just add soo much time! SightIsPrecious, I am taking mine the end of August, hopefully... :cool: I am feeling very nervous about it as well. I just think I've over-booked myself this summer doing research, etc. when I should have spent more time on the OAT prep! :(