Anyone recieved Scholl Financial Aid package yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Carebear, I'm going to try and call tomorrow...we'll see how far that goes.

I laughed when I saw the "new phone, car, etc". I have a car that I'm praying will get through another year. I never really cared about my phone. I do want a new laptop but thats why I'm working full time this summer. Should be able to get it in another week or so! (And Dell came out with new ones!!) I'm hoping people were kidding about that stuff. I'll be lucky to afford paper to print on, let alone the ink!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was an undergrad I totally donated plasma for beer money! Living in terminal poverty only makes you more creative! Plus my parents are suckers and I can always talk them into taking me to Costco!

Carebear, I'm going to try and call tomorrow...we'll see how far that goes.

I laughed when I saw the "new phone, car, etc". I have a car that I'm praying will get through another year. I never really cared about my phone. I do want a new laptop but thats why I'm working full time this summer. Should be able to get it in another week or so! (And Dell came out with new ones!!) I'm hoping people were kidding about that stuff. I'll be lucky to afford paper to print on, let alone the ink!

I know that last week Office Depot and Circuit City were having sales on laptops. We were looking at them. My husband wanted a new one b/c he was losing the one his old job gave him for work. they were priced around $395-500.00, some had mail-in rebates. They were good brands, like Compaq, HP, etc.

But then he found that his new job is letting him spec out his own laptop and they will buy it for him. I was so jealous!! Must be nice to have a job that buys you a new laptop of your choice.

So you may be able to find some good pricing with back to school sales. :) just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
After researching various tablets, I decided on one and order it (and fixin's) from newegg.com

Great prices, low shipping costs (3-day delivery), and I believe no tax (varies by state). :D

you're kidding right about buying all that stuff?

You may have extra money to spend since you will be at home, right? So that may mean you will be buying us all lunch some days;)

BTW, I just got my new tablet PC. I'm still trying to get used to it. I like the OneNote feature. My hubby discovered it this quarter while he was taking his class. He really likes it. I'll be playing around with it so I can use it for classes.

As for the IPhone, not getting that yet until the price goes down or unless my husband gets some good deal through his job. I think $500-600 is too pricey for a phone, IMO.

As for a new car, I won't be buying one of those. I just paid off my 2 cars last year. So I am happy not to have two $500+ car payments every month. i will driving my cars til the wheels fall off. Plus, I have my Harley, if they break down :banana:

I think there was also the GradPlus loan that we could apply for as well. I did not see that listed on opennet. The loans I saw were only sub and unsub loans. I am not sure if they are included in that amount. I will call fin aid tomorrow to see what's up.

Just make a budget and stick with it. Try to cut down on non-necessities. I have 2 kids to care for so my money goes for their care and things they need before mine. Granted, I have a spouse that will be working but I HAD a fulltime salary making pretty good money. So it will be an adjustment for all of us.

Hey! yes i was kidding about buying all that stuff:laugh:. My parents will kick me out of their home if i borrow such a big loan even after staying in their home:laugh:. I just borrowed around 30k in that 27k will be gone in fees/tution/books and i will get hardly around 2800 for my expenses and that too in august disbursment iam gonna just get $982 something :).

When I was an undergrad I totally donated plasma for beer money! Living in terminal poverty only makes you more creative! Plus my parents are suckers and I can always talk them into taking me to Costco!

Theres no Costco around my undergrad, but theres a Sams Club! Everytime I went home they always took me. I do have my own card too, so if you ever need to go to Sam's, just let me know! I too also tried the plasma route, but they said I couldnt do it, small veins or something. They didnt even try to poke me, just looked at it and told me to leave haha.

Theres no Costco around my undergrad, but theres a Sams Club! Everytime I went home they always took me. I do have my own card too, so if you ever need to go to Sam's, just let me know! I too also tried the plasma route, but they said I couldnt do it, small veins or something. They didnt even try to poke me, just looked at it and told me to leave haha.

Sams has an awesome wine collection! I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have given plasma! Probably go downtown with a guitar case and sing Ace of Base or Wham in the hopes that someone would toss a few quarters my way!

I actually won a karaoke contest singing careless whisper like 2 years ago!

My dear fellow Schollmates. i bring good news to you. I just found out that they are also giving Federal perkins loan (which is not shown on your Sallie Mae.com as Sallie Mae doesnt gives it). You only see on OPENNET only those loans that sallie mae gives.

So for example:

if Mr.Burger had a 3000 scholarship. His breakdown will be like this:

Stafford : 8000
Unsubisdized : 30000
Schoalrship : 3000
Perkins Loan: 2500

But on Salliemae its gonna show that u only got 38000 whereas in reality you will be getting $43500. So wait till Scholl financial award letter comes.

Note: Atleast this is what i heard from Fin Aid people. Now i dont know it will be different for you guys. But i guess we all are getting same aid so it shud be same like this for all.

yeah I was music major for an entire year. Just yesterday at work I danced and sang the entire Off the Wall album followed by the entire Thriller album. I've also been known to instigate the Ricky Martin Power Hour and Robert Palmer/Prince/Justin Timberlake sing-offs!

everybody wang chung tonight!

My dear fellow Schollmates. i bring good news to you. I just found out that they are also giving Federal perkins loan (which is not shown on your Sallie Mae.com as Sallie Mae doesnt gives it). You only see on OPENNET only those loans that sallie mae gives.

So for example:

But on Salliemae its gonna show that u only got 38000 whereas in reality you will be getting $43500. So wait till Scholl financial award letter comes.

Note: Atleast this is what i heard from Fin Aid people. Now i dont know it will be different for you guys. But i guess we all are getting same aid so it shud be same like this for all.

Awesome! Thanks for looking into this for us :thumbup:

yeah I was music major for an entire year. Just yesterday at work I danced and sang the entire Off the Wall album followed by the entire Thriller album. I've also been known to instigate the Ricky Martin Power Hour and Robert Palmer/Prince/Justin Timberlake sing-offs!

everybody wang chung tonight!

man after my heart :love:

love that 80's music!!!

So for example:

Hurrah! Thanks for finding this out!

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone actually received their packet in the mail? Same thing with the orientation packet. I'm getting worried because I'm leaving my current residence in a week!

So has anyone actually received their packet in the mail? Same thing with the orientation packet. I'm getting worried because I'm leaving my current residence in a week!

Not me... :(

i was just told that packets were mailed last Friday. So hopefully they will be arriving this week. i'm hoping today or tomorrow.

i was just told that packets were mailed last Friday. So hopefully they will be arriving this week. i'm hoping today or tomorrow.

I got my packets in the mail yesterday. Did you know that the biochem pretest counts for 3% of our grade?:eek: I've never had biochem and the link for the study materials hasn't been activated yet!

Reactions: 1 user
I got my packets in the mail yesterday. Did you know that the biochem pretest counts for 3% of our grade?:eek: I've never had biochem and the link for the study materials hasn't been activated yet!

yes, i did. that why i am really pissed off that we didn't get them sooner. i don't like having my grade jeopardized, when it is no fault of my own. :mad: At least you have your packet, i still don't have mine yet. :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: 1 user
What? The orientation test actually means something to our grade??? I haven't got my packet yet :(

Every year they don't seem to get those packets out in ample time...

Once you get your packet and the link works, you have enough time to read the biochem material and get sick of it before the test, and you will see that 3% is not that big of deal in the long run.

what i think is hilarious about the slow packet/failure to give students information situation is that we are anal, type A medical students who want to be organized and have our information. It's pretty annoying, but things get more organized once you are at school.

what i think is hilarious about the slow packet/failure to give students information situation is that we are anal, type A medical students who want to be organized and have our information. It's pretty annoying, but things get more organized once you are at school.

I agree bex, I consider this drinking out of the sprinkler to get us used to drinking out of a firehose. 3 more weeks!

yes, i did. that why i am really pissed off that we didn't get them sooner. i don't like having my grade jeopardized, when it is no fault of my own. :mad: At least you have your packet, i still don't have mine yet. :mad::mad::mad:

The packet doesn't have anything useful in it. It is a link...which hasn't been activated, as well as a very basic outline for orientation and where to go for your ID. Not at all what I was expecting.

Every year they don't seem to get those packets out in ample time...

Once you get your packet and the link works, you have enough time to read the biochem material and get sick of it before the test, and you will see that 3% is not that big of deal in the long run.

I hope they have it soon because I am leaving for a trip in which I will not have any access to the internet until Aug. 5th. So, being the anal type A person, this is driving me nuts!

The packet doesn't have anything useful in it. It is a link...which hasn't been activated, as well as a very basic outline for orientation and where to go for your ID. Not at all what I was expecting.

does the packet include a password? when you click on the link for the two classes (Anatomy and Biochem) a login window pops up.

i'm still waiting for the mailman to show up.

Hey guys and gals, I know the username and password to login. PM me if you need it and I'll give it to you.

Hey guys and gals, try this to login to the study material...

The username is "" and the password is"...

that should get you access!

yeah, i got my stuff yesterday afternoon. i don't know if it's okay to post the username and password info.

yeah, i got my stuff yesterday afternoon. i don't know if it's okay to post the username and password info.

Thanks txlioness! You're right, I didnt even realize.
I edited my previous post.

not a problem.

if everyone got their letters, they will see the login info on the last page of the orientation letter.

Oh really? Okay. I thought people didnt have that info. I dont know bc my packet was mailed to my parents house, not my current address so I never actually read anything for myself. I just emailed Mandy and asked her for it.

Nevermind then, haha :)

Well, you'd think with all the tuition we pay they would staff the place with competent professionals---(not to bash too much on my own school or anything).
Unfortunately...you just have to get used to this kind of stuff happening at Rosalind Franklin University---I'm starting my 3rd year here, and I've already had so many mishaps with my Financial Aid that it blows my mind. I mean, how can you screw that many things up with the tiny amount of students they have to deal with?

Just know that you have to stay on their backs all the time---make sure they are doing what YOU pay them for. It all sorts itself out in the end, but it unfortunately adds a lot of stress. I came from a school that was on top of things like this (and we had 30,000+ students) so I guess I'm spoiled.

Anyways, this just seemed like a good place to rant about that---and to tell ya'll not to worry about it until you get here--there's plenty of time to sort it all out...

Have you guys gotten the Financial Aid Packet yet? I haven't gotten mine yet and I tried to call them but all I got was the answering machine. I did check with Sallie Mae but I want a hard copy of info from them.

I did get the orientation packet and that's all.

Have you guys gotten the Financial Aid Packet yet? I haven't gotten mine yet and I tried to call them but all I got was the answering machine. I did check with Sallie Mae but I want a hard copy of info from them.

I did get the orientation packet and that's all.

I got both the same day. I would definitely keep trying to contact them. There is a form in the fin aid letter that you have to sign and send back(fax or mail) accepting or declining your fin aid.

If you are coming from out of state and are arriving before classes start I would run over there in person. That's what I plan to do when I get into town. That way they can't get away from you. :D I plan on getting my parkig sticker, check on a few other items, etc before classes start. That way there will be a few things i will bypass during orientation.

I'm pretty good at hunting people down to get what I need done.

thx. i'll keep calling....for the time being. I like your idea of getting lot of the extra work out of the way before orientation. I plan to move into the housing the weekend before so i'll see if i can get any of the things out of the way too.