Anyone received invites for psych interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also heard from Cornell today. It was weird, I got an email saying that they had sent me an invitation to interview over a week ago and if I didn't reply by the end of this week they were going to give my slot to someone else. But this is the first I've heard of it. Anyway, it's settled now.

Make sure that your junk mail filter is OFF. I've heard about people missing interview invites b/c of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by willow212
Stanford by e-mail on 10/10

Mt. Sinai by phone on 10/13

Anyone know anything about Stanford's program?

I did a visiting clerskhip at Stanford as a 4th year student. I think their program is okay. They spend most of the entire first year at the VA hospital, which is sort of bad since they don't have any chance to learn SUMC until their second year. About half of the residents seemed happy, and the other half had quite a few complaints. Overall, I felt the patient population to be a plus, and most of the faculty is helpful. I wouldn't rank this program #1, but probably top 10 or so, especially since it is in Palo Alto.
I hope this helps.

I have heard from:
Yale - e-mail
Alabama - reg mail
Georgetown - phone
Florida - e-mail
Emory - e-mail
KUMC - e-mail
Kentucky - e-mail
Johns Hopkins - e-mail
Missouri-Columbia - reg mail
Wash U - e-mail
Mississippi - phone
Duke - e-mail
UNC - e-mail
Cincinnati - e-mail
Penn - phone
Vanderbilt - e-mail
Baylor - reg mail
UTMB - e-mail
UTSW - e-mail
Utah - e-mail
Virginia - e-mail
Washington - reg mail
Wisconsin-Madison - e-mail
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by aldorvie
I did a visiting clerskhip at Stanford as a 4th year student. I think their program is okay. They spend most of the entire first year at the VA hospital, which is sort of bad since they don't have any chance to learn SUMC until their second year. About half of the residents seemed happy, and the other half had quite a few complaints. Overall, I felt the patient population to be a plus, and most of the faculty is helpful. I wouldn't rank this program #1, but probably top 10 or so, especially since it is in Palo Alto.
I hope this helps.

Aldorvie - thanks for weighing in. That was helpful.

I have heard from:
Yale - e-mail
Alabama - reg mail
Georgetown - phone
Florida - e-mail
Emory - e-mail
KUMC - e-mail
Kentucky - e-mail
Johns Hopkins - e-mail
Missouri-Columbia - reg mail
Wash U - e-mail
Mississippi - phone
Duke - e-mail
UNC - e-mail
Cincinnati - e-mail
Penn - phone
Vanderbilt - e-mail
Baylor - reg mail
UTMB - e-mail
UTSW - e-mail
Utah - e-mail
Virginia - e-mail
Washington - reg mail
Wisconsin-Madison - e-mail
:)

:eek: how many interviews to do you plan to go to?

So the big three (Columbia, UCLA and MGH/McLean) have not started interviewing yet?

Originally posted by Thewonderer

So the big three (Columbia, UCLA and MGH/McLean) have not started interviewing yet? [/B]

I have heard that Columbia does not start looking at apps until Oct 20...

I had an interesting e-mail from this program today. Just asking when I would be taking COMLEX 2 and when my board scores would be available. That was it! Didn't say that they were thinking of interviewing me or anything. Very strange and rather rude, I thought!

I had an interesting e-mail from this program today. Just asking when I would be taking COMLEX 2 and when my board scores would be available. That was it! Didn't say that they were thinking of interviewing me or anything. Very strange and rather rude, I thought!
The great thing is, with the wide-openness of getting into a psych residency, you can basically tell 'em to shove your ERAS up their ***es (assuming it's not one of your top choices).

:eek: how many interviews to do you plan to go to?

So the big three (Columbia, UCLA and MGH/McLean) have not started interviewing yet?

I hope to go to as many interviews as I can during Dec and Jan.
I have not heard from Columbia or MGH/McLean. I did not apply to UCLA.:cool:

I hope to go to as many interviews as I can during Dec and Jan.
I have not heard from Columbia or MGH/McLean. I did not apply to UCLA.:cool:

You are not going to all 23 interviews and counting, in two months, are you? ;)

That leads to another question I have. How many interviews are good? I have heard of residents only interviewing at 5-6 programs. My own school's PD also told me that unless I have some skeletons in my closet, I should not need to go to too m any interviews. Obviously, I will try to attend at least 10 interviews, but I am not sure after that. After all, each interview lasts one day each and I have better things to do than sitting in info sessions where they tell you how great their programs are.

Is there a consensus?

U of Illinois (about time I heard from somewhere in Chicago; I guess now that the Cubs are out of it they have less important things to do).

About how many interviews to attend- here's my take, for what it's worth. I applied to every school I thought I may even possibly want to go. That allows the freedom of not going to some and for the "why the heck did I apply there" factor. My plan is to interview at as many programs as is humanly (but more limited by financially) possible. To me, it is impossible to rate a program based on reputation and website. I feel like there are many programs where I can get a great education, but I can't tell if I will be happy until I visit, see the location, and meet the residents and faculty. Just my thoughts. Ask me again after December or January and I may be exhausted and think it was a mistake, but it makes sense to me now. What does everybody else think?

I applied to 19 programs -- I don't figure I will get interviews at all of them, as long as I get enough interviews to rank 10 of the programs I will feel okay. Unfortunately I only have one week off in December (1st week), and I already have three interviews scheduled there. So, I guess the rest of the time I will have to hope my attendings are kind enough to let me take a day off here or there for interviews. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
MUSC emailed me today.

As for number of applications/interviews, I applied to 27 and have 17 invitations so far. Of those I plan on going to 15 of them. The ten programs I've not heard from yet include my med school which I'm expecting an invitation from. Six of the others I don't plan at this point of accepting if I get invited based on the programs location. The remaining three include programs that I'll interview at if asked but I'm not really that thrilled about so if I don't get an invitation I won't be upset.

I'm taking all three of my vacation months off for interviews. So far November is pretty much fly in one day, get back home, fly out the next. December will be a little bit easier as I have several in the same region scheduled close to each other. I only have one in January so far which sounds good because I'm beginning to think that this whole process will be pretty tiring!

I had to apply to many programs due to couples match. Some I've heard from that have not yet been posted include:
Arkansas, Colorado, Medical college of Georgia, Boston U, New Mexico, Albany, Wake Forest, Univ of OK, Jefferson Univ, Eastern VA, Med. College of VA, Henry Ford, Wayne State, and Milwaukee.
Hope all is going well for everyone...

Cornell and Columbia invited me by email today. I also heard from my med school.

Heard from BU by e-mail on 10/20 and Dartmouth by snail mail (with a very nice personalized letter from the res director) on 10/21.

Tennessee (Memphis) sent out by email today.

via e-mail today......

I am still waiting to hear about Dartmouth.......funny thing is I have a subI set up there next month. I contacted the residency director there to see if I could set up an interview, and his reply was iffy at best.

Has anyone heard from Geoge Washington or UC Davis?

I heard from Univ of Vermont and Univ of Alabama today.

University of Chicago emailed me.

You are going to be one busy interviewing fool, huh? :p I envy you having so much time off for interviews. I am really having a problem scheduling mine and hoping that my attendings are going to allow me time off to actually make the interviews. :rolleyes:

You are going to be one busy interviewing fool, huh? I envy you having so much time off for interviews. I am really having a problem scheduling mine and hoping that my attendings are going to allow me time off to actually make the interviews.
That's why you schedule the easiest electives that you can from Nov thru Jan.

they are easy electives, but how exactly do you approach your attending on the first day and say "I need to take two days off this week for interviews." There is no guarantee that the attending is going to be nice about it.......

Yeah, I would personally just take a month off or something. Also, there is no point interviewing at more than 10 programs, unless you are doing couples match.

I am starting to turn down interviews or at least postpone them until Jan and wait to see if other programs' invitations roll in before then.

of taking a month off..........wish i did, but i am booked solid with rotations in order to finish by graduation........our school gives us zero time off

We have a few vacation months our senior year. Many people use them for studying for step 2 or trips in the spring. I went ahead and scheduled them for the interview season because I didn't want to deal with trying to get permission from attendings or reworking call schedules.

Anyway, I don't plan on going to all the interviews although I do want to go to a great many of them. There is no one program (or couple of programs) that I'm dead-set on and I would hate to limit my opportunities this early in the game. Plus, when I applied I really didn't expect to get as many invitations so I applied to just about any program that looked interesting and was in a relatively decent (in my opinion) location.

All the places I've heard from, have already been listed earlier on this thread. I'm still waiting on a good number of places, but then, my file isn't complete (I have a few LoRs that seem to be missing, and I haven't tracked them all down).

So, in answer to number of interviews: I applied to about 15 places where I'd be interested in interviewing. One of my residents told me he ended up interviewing at about eight places, and he said that you just hear on the interview circuit about various programs, which will help you narrow down your list if you've got too many places to go to.

And a question: Has anyone heard from MGH/McLean or Cambridge Hospital yet? I know Longwood's site says they don't issue invites till November, but is that true of all the Boston programs?

Vacation.......what's that? LOL

I hear what you are saying about applying to so many programs because you weren't sure you'd get that many interviews.....isn't it weird? We spend 4 years in med school being "nobodys" and now everyone wants us! :cool: I guess now is the time to enjoy it since we'll be lowly interns soon enough. :laugh:

Heard from MGH-McLean late evening 10/24 by e-mail. Also heard from BU earlier, but am waiting on most of the other Boston programs myself.

Cool, it seems that columbia and MGH-McLean have replied people but UCLA has not....

I talked to my program's director a couple months ago and asked her which programs are good. Her answer was pretty vague. She just gave me a couple programs on the East Coast and then said that you can get quality education at all the programs. Therefore, I have started to push a couple programs I might not be interested in terms of location back in Jan.

I also talked to my friend at Brown med. Apparently, they have 2 months of time where you can do reading electives (she was a little vague about it; something to do with doing a project with a prof but you can get credits for it and can fly around all you want). And those 2 months count toward the 8 months 4th year electives. In my med school, all 8 months have to be clinical electives. So med schools do vary in giving students some leeway in terms of time away for interviews.

An attending of mine who went to NW for med school and Rush for fellowship told me to stay away from U of Chicago's program, citing it being in financial trouble with unstable internal politics and relying on IMG's for residents. Can anyone in Chicago verify that?

1. Thanks for the response, Willow212. Was your file complete by the time you heard from MGH? I'm wondering which of the places that haven't contacted me might be waiting for my last few letters.

2. In the same vein, for everyone who's heard from UCSF: Was your file complete at the time? (Of course, I also turned in the supplemental application on the late side, because I didn't know what dates to put down, but now, not knowing if I'll get an interview at UCSF on one of those dates is making it hard for me to schedule other interviews then.)

3. Regarding UCLA: Their brochure (with last year's dates) said they would start sending out e-mails to confirm interview dates starting on November 5 (which will mean November 4 this year). Apparently they wait for the Dean's letter to figure things out.

4. As for good programs, here's what one of my advisors said about quality: UCLA and UWashington are "up-and-coming." Baylor, Northwestern and Mount Sinai are about the same level. Stanford is "not quite up there," and Michigan was below all of the above.

It was inevitable, I guess, but I got the first rejection letter in today's mail from Univ. of Iowa. Oh well.............:confused:

What kind of an attending would have a problem with 4th year med students who are doing electives taking time for interviews? Isn't that what 4th year is all about?

i have scheduled most of my interviews going on the assumption that all the attendings will be okay with it:p

Originally posted by leaf
1. Thanks for the response, Willow212. Was your file complete by the time you heard from MGH? I'm wondering which of the places that haven't contacted me might be waiting for my last few letters.

Hi leaf. Yes, my files was complete at MGH (except dean's letter, of course). Did you get their email saying they received your application and would send out invites late Oct/early Nov?

Good luck to everyone else waiting for interviews too... it does seem like there is a group of schools waiting for dean's letters.

4. As for good programs, here's what one of my advisors said about quality: UCLA and UWashington are "up-and-coming." Baylor, Northwestern and Mount Sinai are about the same level. Stanford is "not quite up there," and Michigan was below all of the above.

I thought that people in general consider MGH/McLean, Columbia and UCLA as the top 3 programs in psychiatry.

I also heard an attending who did residency at Columbia raving about the program there. He also stated that his fellow residents liked it at Cornell and NYU but Mt. Sinai's did not seem so happy.

One resident who interviewed at Hopkins before was not impressed by their psychotherapy training but they had great psychopharm and even general medicine training. Some people also thrive at their way of practicing psych (i.e. sneer at DSM-IV and instead, focus on treating the individual sx's) while that turned some people off, who consider that as arrogance.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/jhhpsychiatry/perspec1.htm (the four perspectives).

As for the Cambridge program (Harvard-affiliated), some found the environment to be very very supportive and I heard rumors that residents made above $60k while moonlighting. But another resident who interviewed there thought the program is for "psychiatrist who found out that they want to be psychologist after all and do psychotherapy all the time."

Anyone else has some interesting scoopes? I am trying to find any reason to cut down the interview list :confused: People probably have more to add after interviewing at a couple programs.

Isn't this the program that Samuel Shem (House of God) was writing about in "Mount Misery"? At least that what I thought I remembered reading in another post..........if so, I don't think I'd want to go anywhere near that program if it is at all like he portrays in the book! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by willow212
Hi leaf. Yes, my files was complete at MGH (except dean's letter, of course). Did you get their email saying they received your application and would send out invites late Oct/early Nov?

Yes, I got that e-mail, but ever since hearing about rejections on this post, I've somehow convinced myself that the e-mail was a rejection, a sort of "don't call us, we'll call you." Which I realize of course is a completely paranoid reaction (med student personality disorder, serious Axis II pathology, of course). :p I'm hoping that the delay is mostly because my application isn't complete yet and was on the late side anyway.

I thought that people in general consider MGH/McLean, Columbia and UCLA as the top 3 programs in psychiatry.

Hm. I've heard some people put UCSF on the list instead of UCLA, but they may have been ranking competitiveness instead of quality. Other top tier/most competitive schools (which I didn't list in my earlier post) would include Cornell, NYU, Pittsburgh, Penn, JHU, Longwood, Cambridge, and Yale, according to my school's program director. I know Emory's program is supposed to be excellent, but I don't know where it falls on the list.

I also heard an attending who did residency at Columbia raving about the program there. He also stated that his fellow residents liked it at Cornell and NYU but Mt. Sinai's did not seem so happy.

Columbia is good for people who want exposure to both psychotherapy and pharm. Cornell is a bit heavier on psychotherapy. I've heard NYU is good for those who are more independent learners. As for Mount Sinai, I don't know if people are happy there, but I gather the program is getting better, especially as it's just attracted a couple of faculty from Columbia.

Another thing about Columbia: Go check out its salaries. It's the only school I've found so far that has an inexplicable bump in salaries in the PGYIII year. I can't figure out why, but as one resident I worked with (not at Columbia!) said, it's a big inducement.

One resident who interviewed at Hopkins before was not impressed by their psychotherapy training but they had great psychopharm and even general medicine training. Some people also thrive at their way of practicing psych (i.e. sneer at DSM-IV and instead, focus on treating the individual sx's) while that turned some people off, who consider that as arrogance.

I've also heard that Hopkins has its own particular way of thinking, which is basically very different from the way anyone elsewhere in the country thinks. Also, it's a very biological place.

As for the Cambridge program (Harvard-affiliated), some found the environment to be very very supportive and I heard rumors that residents made above $60k while moonlighting. But another resident who interviewed there thought the program is for "psychiatrist who found out that they want to be psychologist after all and do psychotherapy all the time."

:) Funny description. I've heard that it's really slanted toward psychodynamic therapy, and one attending I know said she felt it was kind of "foofy" when she interviewed there. I think it has a good community psych component, though.

Longwood has been highly recommended to me by a couple of residents, who said that it was their second choice. I'm not sure why, but I guess they liked the feel of it, and it's also strong in community psych. Yale is rather research-oriented, but I hear it's a nice place where people are happy. Stanford is very research-oriented and biological.

I know Emory's program is supposed to be excellent, but I don't know where it falls on the list.

Another thing about Columbia: Go check out its salaries. It's the only school I've found so far that has an inexplicable bump in salaries in the PGYIII year. I can't figure out why, but as one resident I worked with (not at Columbia!) said, it's a big inducement.

Longwood has been highly recommended to me by a couple of residents, who said that it was their second choice. I'm not sure why, but I guess they liked the feel of it, and it's also strong in community psych.

I also heard good things about emory program.

someone told me that the salary for columbia is high because you are somehow defined as being employeed by the state of NY (i.e. at the New York State Psychiatric Institute) and therefore you are paid on-par with that scale of pay (rather than the lowly resident's pay).

Doesn't Longwood program have some problems with funding esp moving their inpt out of Brigham?

Has anyone but Asher heard from Columbia?

Also, can someone who applied to NYU tell me, do they have a supplemental application?????

Originally posted by doc_gmd
Has anyone but Asher heard from Columbia?

Also, can someone who applied to NYU tell me, do they have a supplemental application?????

Asher might be the first to hear from columbia. not sure about others.

nyu does not have a supplemental application. It appears that UCSF is the only one I applied to that has a supplemental app.

I'd also been told to ask about the Longwood funding situation, though I hadn't heard about the issues in the depth you had; I just knew there were questions surrounding it.

Regarding New York schools, I heard from Columbia on Friday. As far as I know, NYU does not have a supplemental application, or at least it's issuing interviews without supplemental material, contrary to what the (outdated) brochure on their website would suggest.

I did an elective month at Columbia and can confirm that the residents there seem very happy. Also, one of the residents there has a fiance in his PGY3 year at Mt Sinai in psych and she says he loves it.
As previously mentioned, Mt Sinai has a new residency director who came from Columbia and they are very excited about him.

Has anyone heard from NYU?

I'm interviewing at Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, but I haven't heard from NYU.

Originally posted by Basma-Naaba
Has anyone heard from NYU?

I'm interviewing at Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, but I haven't heard from NYU.

I think quite a few people have heard from NYU already.

I am interviewing at NYU and Mt. Sinai, waiting to hear from Columbia and Cornell. You wanna trade with me??? :D