Anyone out there a NHSC med school scholar starting in the 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcitygrrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who received the NHSC scholarship starting in their 3rd year of medical school? I'm asking because the NHSC is denying tuition payment for the 1st term of my 3rd year due to the fact that I became a NHSC scholar starting in my 3rd year and my 1st term of my 3rd year started 3 weeks before July 1st. However they specifically list in their rules that although they only pay for schooling after July 1st 2007, they will pay for a term that starts before July 1st, if the term lasts through July. It would be helpful to know if other NHSC recipients are getting shortchanged or if not, how to appeal this.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone out there who received the NHSC scholarship starting in their 3rd year of medical school? I'm asking because the NHSC is denying tuition payment for the 1st term of my 3rd year due to the fact that I became a NHSC scholar starting in my 3rd year and my 1st term of my 3rd year started 3 weeks before July 1st. However they specifically list in their rules that although they only pay for schooling after July 1st 2007, they will pay for a term that starts before July 1st, if the term lasts through July. It would be helpful to know if other NHSC recipients are getting shortchanged or if not, how to appeal this.

I also won an NHSC scholarship after 2nd year. Since my school started 3rd year rotations on July 5th, this isn't an issue for me...

Sorry about this. :( They're incredibly difficult people to deal with - is there a phone number anywhere on their website that you can call?

I would suggest emailing your state liasion or contact regarding this. I don't know what to say since I got my NHSC scholarship prior to starting my 1st year of med school. Best of luck to you!