Anyone listening to MOC Webinar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Bennett is giving a detailed explanation of it. It seems pretty straightforward although part IV seems a little complicated. She also explained the options for the retest.

The fifteen minutes of Q:A was incredibly informative and really helped explain a lot of things. People presented some scenarios, that you could tell the board hadn't really considered.

The good news is that if you are an academic organ specific pathologist, you can get by just taking modules (even up to two on that organ) and then some general modules. You won't have to be forced to take something you haven't seen much of in awhile.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was listening to it. I really didn't follow the description of the modules, especially with the different colored circles and squares. I hope they have a "Chinese menu" explanation of it on the website when the time gets closer. Like one from column A, two from column B, etc. I thought I was done going to Tampa, though. What a money maker for that hotel, this MOC will be.

I was listening to it. I really didn't follow the description of the modules, especially with the different colored circles and squares. I hope they have a "Chinese menu" explanation of it on the website when the time gets closer. Like one from column A, two from column B, etc. I thought I was done going to Tampa, though. What a money maker for that hotel, this MOC will be.
I think the point was that you can basically take different combos of general/specific modules in both AP and/or CP.
You can basically tailor the test to the wheelhouse of your practice.

Members don't see this ad :)

I listened to the webinar and quite literally asked about half of the questions they answered (If you listened, I asked the stuff about that involved dermpath, when the next 10 years start after the test, certifying AP/CP and dermpath at the same time, what does it mean that dermpath isnt modular, how CME needs to be divvied up, and a question about how the AP and CP modules can be divvied up. Maybe I asked some other questions, but those are the ones I remember that I asked.)

Anyway, this is how I understand it.
1) If you are only recertifying in AP, then you can choose any six modules from AP. They can all be categorized as general AP, specialty AP, or any mix of both.
2) If you are only recertifying in CP, then you can choose any six modules from CP. They can all be categorized as general CP, specialty CP, or any mix of both.
3) If you are recertifying in both AP and CP, then you have to take at least one general module or two specialty modules from AP and CP each as part of the 6 modules total. For instance, lets say your job is all AP and you want to avoid CP. You can either take 5 AP modules of your choice plus 1 general CP module, OR you can take 4 AP modules of your choice plus 2 specialty CP modules. What you CANT do is take 5 AP modules and only 1 specialty CP module (or 6 AP and no CP, obviously).

Hope this helps!

I listened to the webinar and quite literally asked about half of the questions they answered (If you listened, I asked the stuff about that involved dermpath, when the next 10 years start after the test, certifying AP/CP and dermpath at the same time, what does it mean that dermpath isnt modular, how CME needs to be divvied up, and a question about how the AP and CP modules can be divvied up. Maybe I asked some other questions, but those are the ones I remember that I asked.)

Anyway, this is how I understand it.
1) If you are only recertifying in AP, then you can choose any six modules from AP. They can all be categorized as general AP, specialty AP, or any mix of both.
2) If you are only recertifying in CP, then you can choose any six modules from CP. They can all be categorized as general CP, specialty CP, or any mix of both.
3) If you are recertifying in both AP and CP, then you have to take at least one general module or two specialty modules from AP and CP each as part of the 6 modules total. For instance, lets say your job is all AP and you want to avoid CP. You can either take 5 AP modules of your choice plus 1 general CP module, OR you can take 4 AP modules of your choice plus 2 specialty CP modules. What you CANT do is take 5 AP modules and only 1 specialty CP module (or 6 AP and no CP, obviously).

Hope this helps!

thanks for the good questions. even if they didn't apply to me, I found them informative. What was the answer to the question about if you take the test early, does your certification expire early or is it ten years from the last certificate. I was signing out with my resident and missed the answer as we were listening to the webinar.

Did you ask the questions about what would be the lifetime coast for MOC? And did you ask the question about did they have any idea if this was going to be beneficial in anyway to patient care? I thought those were brilliant questions and didn't believe Bennett's answer at all. Personally I feel like MOC is a good idea but basically has just turned into a moneymaker for the ABP and SAM providing community. It doesn't really do anything for the pathologists, as what they ask us to do, we are already doing, but now they get to charge us for it.

Last edited:
thanks for the good questions. even if they didn't apply to me, I found them informative. What was the answer to the question about if you take the test early, does your certification expire early or is it ten years from the last certificate. I was signing out with my resident and missed the answer as we were listening to the webinar.

Did you ask the questions about what would be the lifetime coast for MOC? And did you ask the question about did they have any idea if this was going to be beneficial in anyway to patient care? I thought those were brilliant questions and didn't believe Bennett's answer at all. Personally I feel like MOC is a good idea but basically has just turned into a moneymaker for the ABP and SAM providing community. It doesn't really do anything for the pathologists, as what they ask us to do, we are already doing, but now they get to charge us for it.

The ten years starts at the end of the last certificate. So, for instance (to use my personal example which I had asked during the webinar), if one got their AP/CP certification in 2007 and took the recertification test in 2015, their recertification would now last until 2027 (assuming they fulfilled the other requirements for MOC). The reasoning they gave was that since the test was only one part of the MOC process, passing the test doesnt mean that the MOC process has been completed for the cycle. It is only completed when all of the requirements have been fulfilled over the entire 10 year cycle.

I did not ask those two questions you mentioned, but I agree that they were very good questions and that she sounded like she was squriming a little.