SAMs and Patient Safety course no longer required by ABPath for MOC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Path or bust

I like meat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did not see topic below. Surprised to find out through a CAP email.

Hello,

On June 22, the American Board of Pathology (ABPath) announced that effective January 1, 2021, ABPath is removing the SAM requirement.

In light of this information, the College of American Pathologists will no longer offer SAM credits for activities that release after November 1, 2020. For those interested in fulfilling their 2020 SAM requirement, please visit the current SAM offerings on cap.org. Activities released prior to November 2020 will remain as released through December 2020, allowing participants completing the course by the end of the year to claim SAM credit.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].

Here it is

ABPath Announces Changes to the Continuing Certification Program for 2021

June 22, 2020 - The American Board of Pathology (ABPath) is announcing two changes to the Continuing Certification (CC) Program that have been approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties.

Beginning in 2021, the ABPath will no longer require:

• Self-Assessment Modules (SAMs) for Part II Lifelong Learning of the CC program
• a Patient Safety Course.

The “SAMs” requirement was developed by ABPath to ensure that at least 20 of the required 70 CME credits had a self- assessment activity. Since ACCME accreditation requires that the CME provider analyzes changes in learners (competence, performance, or patient outcomes) achieved as a result of the overall program's activities/educational interventions, having a SAMs requirement is no longer necessary and is burdensome for diplomates and CME providers. ABPath’s CertLink® longitudinal assessment has been approved by ABMS as a permanent change to our CC program in 2021 and this provides diplomates with self-assessment of medical knowledge as well. Diplomates will still be required to complete and report a minimum of 70 AMA PRA Category 1 CME credits for each two-year CC reporting period. Participation in Patient Safety CME will be encouraged, but no longer required.

For more information on the CC Program visit American Board of Pathology

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The patient safety course was biggest waste of time and money. Too bad I already completed that requirement for this 10 year cycle!

We SHOUD BAND TOGETHER AND SUE THE ABP!!!

FPN!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should change your name to 'Thrombosis'. It has a much better ring to it than 'Magic Man' and I don't think the new member who took 'Thrombi' is going to give the name justice.
you need to change your name. We already have someone here name keratinpearls. I recommend calling yourself thrombi.
Done, thanks.

• Love
Did you choose Magic Man 72 because you like the Heart song? Or are you a magician?

The patient safety course may still be required by state medical licensing, be careful!

There are many states for which the CME and other requirements are actually more stringent than the ABPath requirements. Be careful because they can audit you and fine you.

The patient safety course may still be required by state medical licensing, be careful!

There are many states for which the CME and other requirements are actually more stringent than the ABPath requirements. Be careful because they can audit you and fine you.
One of my states requires a patient safety CME. But there are many free sources to obtain this CME. Unlike the ABP which had approved something like 5 sources, offered by the CAP, ASCP, and the like that all charged around 175 bucks for a couple of hours of CME credit.

the ABP required patient safety module was a total money grab / shake down / sham.

Glad to see it go.

Reactions: 2 users
I also completed that mind numbing course before they got rid of it. On another note, are the CertLink assessments mandatory? I’ve been doing them, but I have no idea what they count towards, if anything.