Anyone know this???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsu1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If endometrial cancer is estrogen dependent...i.e more estrogen, more risk of endo ca....

then how does Tamoxifen, an estrogen blocker increase your risk of endo ca????

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh, well, I think I figured it out myself for those who are interested.

Tamoxifen is a mixed AGONIST/antagonist of estrogen receptors....so it must have to do with the AGONIST portion.

lsu1000 said:
Ahhh, well, I think I figured it out myself for those who are interested.

Tamoxifen is a mixed AGONIST/antagonist of estrogen receptors....so it must have to do with the AGONIST portion.

you are correct. tamox is an antagonist in the breast, and agonist at the bone, heart, and uterus. Another similar drug (i.e. SERM- selective estrogen receptor modulator) raloxifene is thought to have less risk for uterine cancer, although I have not seen this used in breast cancer, just usually in osteoporotic women.

ElZorro said:
you are correct. tamox is an antagonist in the breast, and agonist at the bone, heart, and uterus. Another similar drug (i.e. SERM- selective estrogen receptor modulator) raloxifene is thought to have less risk for uterine cancer, although I have not seen this used in breast cancer, just usually in osteoporotic women.

Raloxifene is currently being studied as a potential replacement to Tamoxifen for the treatment of breast cancer, due to its antagonist effects at breast and endometrial tissue, while still having agonist effects in bone. I think the uncertainty is if its estrogen blocking effect in breast tissue is equal to that of tamoxifen, which in the case of cancer treatment is probably important. :idea: But, im definately not a oncologist.