Anyone keep a gaming desktop in med school? Or just laptops?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is keeping a desktop feasible in med school at all?

I want to build a gaming comp to blow off Steam every once in a while. And keep a thin laptop/tab for portability reasons.

I'd rather have strong specs from the beginning that can last me all 4 years.

The gaming laptops seem like an in-between option, but they're usually heavy and have limited upgradeable parts

Members don't see this ad.

med school is all-time consuming. you shouldn't be gaming in medical school.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If that's your hobby, go for it. You have downtime in medschool.

Reactions: 2 users

I want to build a gaming comp to blow off Steam every once in a while. And keep a thin laptop/tab for portability reasons.

The gaming laptops seem like an in-between option, but they're usually heavy and have limited upgradeable parts

For a laptop, portability is the most important thing. Majority of gaming laptops are ugly monstrosities that won’t be as convenient in classes. Razer Blade Stealth might be an exception, but not sure if that’s enough power for you.

No reason not to get a desktop if you have space and money, and you can always access your desktop remotely from your laptop if you need access to its files.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a desktop. Have done both the laptop and the desktop route, and the laptop inevitably always had problems. Yeah, I don't get to play as much as I want, but having it there when I want to blow off steam and play with friends is needed.

I've got a gaming rig that I use pretty regularly. I highly recommend it. Don't bother with gaming laptops, they're expensive for terrible battery life, half the specs, and heavy weights. Twice the money for half the computer. For the cost of a decent gaming laptop you can get a high-quality desktop build and a high-portability laptop.

Also, check out /r/doctorsofgaming on reddit and join the doctorsofgaming discord. There's dozens of us.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 10 users
I completely support gaming in med school (I spend too much time doing it), but you should definitely make sure to at least have a usable laptop. You'll want to bring it to lectures, PBL, studying in the library etc.

Hell yeah. I gamed all throughout med school, residency and as an attending. Screw the naysayers, they don’t even lift. Honestly a strong desktop is so much more efficient than a laptop at everything, I rarely even used my laptop. Ironically the best laptops for studying are also gaming laptops as they are insanely powerful, fast and just so much better than the generic pieces of crap they sell to students. My current gaming laptop is super thin, lightweight, and pretty effective:

I’d recommend having both desktop and laptop but I am a total computer geek.

Also, there is going to be a pretty big advance in gaming monitors this year so I’d wait until Black Friday before any big purchases as I suspect the current top end generation monitors will go down by 30-40% in price. Prime day and Black Friday/cyber Monday are also great times to build new setups. Any specific questions I’m more than happy to answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a gaming rig that I use pretty regularly. I highly recommend it. Don't bother with gaming laptops, they're expensive for terrible battery life, half the specs, and heavy weights. Twice the money for half the computer. For the cost of a decent gaming laptop you can get a high-quality desktop build and a high-portability laptop.

Also, check out /r/doctorsofgaming on reddit and join the doctorsofgaming discord. There's dozens of us.

I never knew about the doctorsofgaming group. Thanks!

curious to know @gamerEMdoc thoughts on the matter :playful::bookworm:

I'm not a fan of gaming laptops. Just from an expense standpoint. You'll pay more for a less powerful machine, and why game on a smaller screen. I get the portability, but its not like you are going to game that much on the go that much to justify it. Get a high end gaming desktop, and then just get a regular laptop if you really need a laptop (though I actually prefer an ipad pro, keyboard, pencil).

All that assumes you are a PC gamer. Still nothing wrong with gaming on consoles, and way less costly. I still game on my PS4 pro sometimes, sometimes on PC. Rarely on Xboxone. Rarely on switch.

You should have hobbies in medical school, residency, and life. If gaming is that hobby, then you shouldn't give it up. I gamed a good bit in medical school and even more in residency.

Reactions: 6 users
You should have hobbies in medical school, residency, and life. If gaming is that hobby, then you shouldn't give it up. I gamed a good bit in medical school and even more in residency.
I personally love gaming - not sure how other attendings would think of it especially in a residency interview

I bought a gaming laptop that I use for all my med school stuff as well. It’s very thin, easily portable, and runs all my games flawlessly. I got an ASUS republic of gamers laptop. Ive played LOL, POE, PubG, Mtg Arena, various Steam games, and Origin games on it.

Disagree. Med school isn't that all time consuming that there isn't time to game, especially during the first two years. I thoroughly enjoyed my preclinical years and did a significant amount of gaming too.

I've used my gaming desktop throughout medical school, and I've done fine so far. I play games with some of my classmates fairly regularly. I say go for it.

There's plenty of time to game in addition to other hobbies. As silly as this might sound I'm absolutely convinced that having my desktop with me and being able to play grand theft auto saved my sanity (and my score) while studying for step 1.

I recommend the gaming desktop + portable laptop combo if your resources permit. Buying even a "mid" range gaming laptop is not cost efficient considering the specs you could get for the same money spent on a desktop computer. Furthermore gaming laptops are heavy af, bulky, and can't last more than 1-2 hrs without needing another charge. I recently upgraded my 7 year old laptop which held max charge of 30 minutes. My new one can last the entire work day without charging and it's 2 lbs lighter. The quality of life gain has been night and day.

I figure you would, given that you're a gamerEMdoc ;) I wonder how the majority of attendings would feel about it, though.

Depends on the generation. If its a field/program with a bunch of 60 year old faculty, then they probably would look down upon it. But those who are 30-40's grew up with video games. Its a gaming generation.

I personally love gaming - not sure how other attendings would think of it especially in a residency interview
You can still game and not put it on the CV. No one will know until they ask about your hobbies and you casually drop that you've commanded an army of aliens to consume the known galaxy and beyond.

• Haha
But why keep it out of your hobbies? They are hobbies. You are supposed to have hobbies, that's why they ask. Should golfers not tell anyone they like to golf for fear that someone will think they golf too much and not work hard enough? Should readers not say they like to read because some attending may think they won't read medical stuff if they are already reading too much fiction? The whole point of having hobbies is to do something not medical, to have some sort of work life balance. If you weren't supposed to have any hobbies outside of medicine, then their wouldn't be a hobbies section on the CV.

Not a med student yet- matriculating in August. I was thinking about that too. I decided to keep my desktop (it is a very nice mac), and just get a cheap laptop. I dont really believe in laptops durability, i feel like they do not really last a long time, so i just decided to get the cheapest one. Now, for gaming i use ps4, but in your case i would definitely advise you to build a nice desktop, and get a cheap laptop in july (when back to school sales kick in).

But why keep it out of your hobbies? They are hobbies. You are supposed to have hobbies, that's why they ask. Should golfers not tell anyone they like to golf for fear that someone will think they golf too much and not work hard enough? Should readers not say they like to read because some attending may think they won't read medical stuff if they are already reading too much fiction? The whole point of having hobbies is to do something not medical, to have some sort of work life balance. If you weren't supposed to have any hobbies outside of medicine, then their wouldn't be a hobbies section on the CV.
I completely agree with you. My issue is that how are the majority of attendings supposed to take it as? I feel like there is definitely some preconceived notions that many people have about gamers

Idle games are life when studying :)

Not a med student yet- matriculating in August. I was thinking about that too. I decided to keep my desktop (it is a very nice mac), and just get a cheap laptop. I dont really believe in laptops durability, i feel like they do not really last a long time, so i just decided to get the cheapest one. Now, for gaming i use ps4, but in your case i would definitely advise you to build a nice desktop, and get a cheap laptop in july (when back to school sales kick in).

I mean its like any other hobby. No one held it against me on my CV 10 or more years ago, and many of that older generation of docs is retired now. Just about everyone practicing emergency medicine now grew up at least to some extent around video games. I don’t think it carries the same stigma that it may have in the past.

• Love
I’m in my 40s and game a bit so it’s not that I’m against it.

But gaming can be different than other hobbies IMO. My other hobbies have included fishing, exercising, and reading. None of those (for me) can turn into a 12 hour time-suck bender like gaming can. And afterward I’m kind of foggy like a hangover.

I’d say do some gaming in med school if you have the discipline to know when to turn it off. If you tend to end up skipping studies and having a poor social life due to gaming, then just don’t do it.

Kind of like alcohol...some can drink socially with no ramifications. Others cannot drink without getting smashed and wasting an entire weekend. Know yourself and what you can handle.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the responses.
I think due to smaller case options, building a desktop and keeping alongside a thin laptop should work.

I think another good reason for a workstation, could be the multiple screens for studying. PDFs/powerpoints on one screen, videos/web browse on the other

I’m in my 40s and game a bit so it’s not that I’m against it.

But gaming can be different than other hobbies IMO. My other hobbies have included fishing, exercising, and reading. None of those (for me) can turn into a 12 hour time-suck bender like gaming can. And afterward I’m kind of foggy like a hangover.

I’d say do some gaming in med school if you have the discipline to know when to turn it off. If you tend to end up skipping studies and having a poor social life due to gaming, then just don’t do it.

Kind of like alcohol...some can drink socially with no ramifications. Others cannot drink without getting smashed and wasting an entire weekend. Know yourself and what you can handle.

Sure, its about balance. If you golf every single day, thats 5 hours of your day. There's many hobbies that, if you take them to the extreme, can be a giant time sink. But the average gamer doesn't game 12 hours a day. The average gamer probably doesn't even game daily. I'd venture to guess that the average gamer consumes games much like the average reader consumes books. Hardcore gamers can be a different story. But its all about finding balance.

At my stage of my career, if I'm interviewing someone for residency, I'm pretty certain they don't game 12 hours a day, every day. Because they got through med school, I have their transcripts. If someone can get through med school and do really well and still game 12 hours a day, all the more power to them. Its none of my business what anyone spends their spare time on. Its their spare time. As long as it doesn't effect their work. And if someone has been successful in medical school, I'm pretty sure their hobbies haven't affected their work.

Current MS2 here, just finished MS1 year. I fully support a gaming desktop. As far as studying, it has helped immensely. I have a 2 monitor hookup which has been awesome in that regard.

Aside from school, it's great for downtime as well. I have always been a PC rather than console gamer so for me, a PC was no question.

Lastly, I built my own. Built this guy ~8 years ago and it still compares to (usually beats) pre-built PCs coming out today. If you buy quality parts your build can last a long, long, long time. Definitely the way to go IMO! Disclaimer - my school provides a laptop so didn't need to buy that. I use it pretty much exclusively to take exams.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

For those with laptops, do you have an iPad as well? Do you think it's worth it to get a laptop + notebook, or should I just opt to get a 2-in-1 like a Surface Pro?

For those with laptops, do you have an iPad as well? Do you think it's worth it to get a laptop + notebook, or should I just opt to get a 2-in-1 like a Surface Pro?

Personally I never found a need for both a laptop AND a tablet

All these "Desktops are more bang for your buck" people are totally correct and if you're up for having that and a laptop (or tablet) for classes, that's a good route.

I wasn't and had some money saved, so I went for a device that can do everything (which is scary, to put all your eggs in one basket) and got a Surface Book 2 15", which has a 1060. If you do this, get the maximum warrantee available. I have been reasonably happy with is so far, and only ever have to worry about 1 device for notes, studying, and gaming. So would recommend if you value portability and battery life over, like, everything else. The spacebar is really good for Anki.

Hey guys, I'm clueless when it comes to gaming computers but I decided to get one for med school. I'll be using it for classes/ notes (along with an iPad) plus the occasional game (I'm mostly waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 next year).

That being said, which of these sounds like the better choice?

The new Helios Predator 300:

• 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h 6-Core Processor (Up to 4. 5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
  • 15. 6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz refresh rate, 3ms Overdrive response time, 300Nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 8GB), 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M. 2 slots | 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 - Available hard drive bay
  • Backlit keyboard | LAN: Killer Ethernet E2500 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AC 1550 802. 11AC | 4th gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D fan

or the new HP omen 15

• Intel Core i7-9750H Processor 2.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 512GB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Multi-format Digital Media Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 2x2 Realtek WiFi 6+Bluetooth 5.0 Combo
  • 15.6" Full HD 144Hz IPS Anti-Glare Micro-Edge WLED-backlit Display

They're both the same price. I'm a little worried about the Omen because it apparently has some thermal/heat issues

Hey guys, I'm clueless when it comes to gaming computers but I decided to get one for med school. I'll be using it for classes/ notes (along with an iPad) plus the occasional game (I'm mostly waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 next year).

That being said, which of these sounds like the better choice?

The new Helios Predator 300:

• 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h 6-Core Processor (Up to 4. 5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
  • 15. 6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz refresh rate, 3ms Overdrive response time, 300Nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 8GB), 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M. 2 slots | 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 - Available hard drive bay
  • Backlit keyboard | LAN: Killer Ethernet E2500 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AC 1550 802. 11AC | 4th gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D fan

or the new HP omen 15

• Intel Core i7-9750H Processor 2.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 512GB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Multi-format Digital Media Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 2x2 Realtek WiFi 6+Bluetooth 5.0 Combo
  • 15.6" Full HD 144Hz IPS Anti-Glare Micro-Edge WLED-backlit Display

They're both the same price. I'm a little worried about the Omen because it apparently has some thermal/heat issues

Why not learn how to build your own? Along with saving a TON of money and being able to have a better bang for buck, you will know your computer inside and out and if anything goes wrong later you can troubleshoot and repair it yourself. I learned how to make one over the course of about a weekend and it took about ~2 days to build it. Modern day PCs are essentially like adult legos that are made to be modular and piece together. I'll link a good youtube guide from Paul's hardware that will show you everything you need to know for building a PC (just watch through the series) and also a website will will show you the best parts that synergize toghether for every pricepoint you can imagine.

www.logicalincrements.com

Last edited:
Idiotic reply. Ignore.

The deal is thus: Spend your entertainment time how you please. You just need to decide how much - 1 - money do you have to spend on building a new rig, and 2 - time you want to spend after you've spent the money on parts. You really have to determine ahead of time how exactly you're going to spend on this hobby. As a med student you have to seriously meter out how much sleep you REALLY need per day (this is not not repeat NOT a segment of your 24 hour cycle you want to short yourself on), how long it takes you to acquire and prepare healthy food (critical), when you're going to do that 30-60 minutes of exercise per day (something you ignore at your peril), how long it's going to take you to get from A to B and so on, how much time it takes to do your morning bathroom routine, and how much time it's going to take to attend classes, study and do all the other million things you didn't think you had to do in med school. You will quickly find that your gaming career is effectively reduced to a few hours on weekends when there isn't an exam looming on the horizon. If you're good with that, then gaming and med school are compatible.

Personally, I made my peace with it and put my rig in storage. The 4770K is already obsolete as is the GTX1070 Seahawk. By the time I see it again, I expect all the water cooling to fail immediately from disuse. It might be a dedicated server at that point (this is when I finish residency sometime in the 2026-2028 timeframe) and can do a ground-up build with all the future latest new hotness.

It's about priorities.