Program-Specific Info / Q's Anyone hear anything from NYU or Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for sharing, Sophocles. Perhaps the checklist is sent out to applicants according to their application date?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the checklist exactly? Is it the section in the application that shows all of the necessary documents and prerequisites?

It is an email they send you, with an attached list of the prerequisites and the ones you have completed X'd off. It is separate from the list on the application that you can log in to view.

I submitted my application after Christmas, and also had/have courses in progress, so not sure if that affected things either. Fun to speculate.

On another site, I did notice that someone reported being accepted to the program on the 13th. You can check it out Here. (If I did it right)

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my application on the last possible day and got my prereq checklist on 3/12. I'm not sure if there's a pattern...

Does anyone know if NYU or Columbia are off this week for spring break and maybe that means they're not sending out any decisions this week?

Got an email yesterday afternoon from Columbia saying to log into the application for a decision letter- Very happy to have been accepted.

Wife hasn't checked but saw that she also received an email from Columbia today stating that decisions were out.

I just checked my account and didn't see anything =/. Sophocles, where did you find your letter?

Got an email yesterday afternoon from Columbia saying to log into the application for a decision letter- Very happy to have been accepted.

Congrats! Do you mind posting your stats? I checked my application and didn't see anything

Sure. I feel nervous, as no doubt this identifies me, but in the hopes that it helps others who may not feel they "fit the mold" here goes.

I'm 33. I've got a BS in wildlife biology from SUNY ESF, with a GPA of 3.82. Never calculated the pre-req GPA, but it's similar or better. I took 2 online classes (to fulfill missing pre-reqs) this fall/winter, and currently have another in progress at a local school. I have an MA in Science Ed from TC.

Other than breaking my hand and being an OT patient last year, (best thing I ever broke!) I have no direct or volunteer hours in an OT setting. I was a bus driver for 6 years, and one of the companies I drove for specialized in special needs transportation. I currently work full time for a local school district providing home instruction in science for middle and high school students who are out of school for suspension or medical reasons.

Columbia was the only school I applied to. I was worried, as some of my pre-req's were over 10 years old (some more animal vs human-centric) , and my OT related life experiences were not quantifiable as hours of OT experience. I felt like I didn't find OT, it found me, the external validation of which felt like a weight being lifted in it's own right.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife also got accepted. She got the email to her regular email address. You log onto your account and at the bottom of the page is a link for the decision letter. Good luck everyone!

My wife also got accepted. She got the email to her regular email address. You log onto your account and at the bottom of the page is a link for the decision letter. Good luck everyone!
Thanks for the info. Congrats to your wife!

Hey everyone, I just heard back from NYU on March 14th. I got accepted!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted to NYU today and I'm so thankful =). Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats, Karixel! So, do you think you'll go? If you don't mind me asking, will you need to take out tons of loans to pay for it? Unless someone is independently wealthy or has a relative or friend paying their way, I just don't know anyone can take on so much debt. And that's not even taking into account the cost of living in NYC. Frightening!

Got accepted to NYU today and I'm so thankful =). Good luck to everyone else!

Just got my acceptance today too from NYU. Super thankful and excited but I dont know about the massive loans I will need to take out too... PLUS cost of living in NY is super expensive :(

Congrats, Karixel! So, do you think you'll go? If you don't mind me asking, will you need to take out tons of loans to pay for it? Unless someone is independently wealthy or has a relative or friend paying their way, I just don't know anyone can take on so much debt. And that's not even taking into account the cost of living in NYC. Frightening!
Congrats to you too! I will have to take out lots of loans...but I did not get into a cheaper school so I will just have to work it out somehow. I live in NYC at home with my mom so I won't have to worry about cost of living as much. If you're willing to maybe take the subway to school or something, living in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan might be cheaper.

Congrats to you too! I will have to take out lots of loans...but I did not get into a cheaper school so I will just have to work it out somehow. I live in NYC at home with my mom so I won't have to worry about cost of living as much. If you're willing to maybe take the subway to school or something, living in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan might be cheaper.

the cost of living in new york scared me away from applying to any nyc schools. you're so lucky your mom lives in such a great city and you can stay with her while attending school!

For those of you that have been accepted to NYU, have any of you received any info about your financial aid offer? Or have any insight about this?

Are there other applicants on here who have not heard back yet? I haven't heard anything and I'm nervous that's a bad sign!

PassionateOT, I haven't heard back as well! I've already been accepted to a school in Massachusetts, but I would like to stay in NYC if possible..

AmyOT, thank you for responding. Do you feel like you have a good chance of getting in? I think I meet and exceed the required stats to get in, but since I haven't heard from either school, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

To be honest, no. My stats are pretty average. However, I know someone who was accepted and they haven't taken A&P 1 and 2 yet! (They're taking A&P 1 now though) So I guess there's always a slight chance, right?

I'm waitlisted at NYU.. Heard back on 3/19 via email.

To those admitted, when's the deadline to respond?

The deadline for putting down a deposit is 3 weeks from notification of admission, or April 17th, whichever is later.

Haven't heard back from NYU either :/ However, my Columbia app finally says "complete" online. Wonder if that means I'll be hearing soon >.<

Just got waitlisted at NYU as well. Still waiting on Columbia though

Hi...

First post here... just came across this forum. I applied on Dec 31 to Columbia, still waiting to hear. Does anyone know how much longer it will take for all of their notifications to be sent out?

Trying not to bite my nails too much... this is pretty nerve racking!

Wait listed last night for NYU too. Oh well :/. Got my fingers crossed for Columbia!

Hi all, Just got my acceptance from Columbia!! I'm so thankful and excited to be headed there in the Fall :D Good luck to all of you still waiting on it. There is still HOPE! Here are my stats:
cum-GPA: 3.21
sub-GPA: 3.59
pre-req GPA: 3.75
Work experience/Volunteer: Lots of leadership roles during my undergrad (Red Cross, Student Council, Operation Smile, Peer mentor), volunteered at a physio clinic one summer (200+ hours), shadowed an OT for a day, research assistant at a psych lab, the children's aid society and an anatomy lab

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats OTBound! :)

I was wait listed for NYU as well. Better than a rejection, I suppose :)

Hi all, Just got my acceptance from Columbia!! I'm so thankful and excited to be headed there in the Fall :D Good luck to all of you still waiting on it. There is still HOPE! Here are my stats:
cum-GPA: 3.21
sub-GPA: 3.59
pre-req GPA: 3.75
Work experience/Volunteer: Lots of leadership roles during my undergrad (Red Cross, Student Council, Operation Smile, Peer mentor), volunteered at a physio clinic one summer (200+ hours), shadowed an OT for a day, research assistant at a psych lab, the children's aid society and an anatomy lab

Congrats on your acceptance to Columbia!! Did they send you a prerequisite check list first? And if they did how long until they told you about your decision?

Thank you all for the wishes!
Hey Bruinbear - I received my pre-req checklist on Mar 14 and it took them two weeks to get back to me with a decision!
PassionateOt - I applied to Columbia, D'Youville and a bunch of Canadian schools. D'Youville filled up before I sent my application and I haven't heard from any of the Canadian schools yet. I didn't do my GREs so NYU was out of my scope.

Thanks for answering OTBoung217. When did you apply to Columbia? A friend told me that the pre-req checklist was only sent to those who applied closer to the deadline in January.

Got my acceptance to Columbia Friday night! Very excited as well. I had received my checklist about a week prior.

Congrats SunnyDee37! Is Columbia your first choice, or are ya waiting on others?
Not a problem PassionateOT! I applied in January - sent my online app in on Jan 1st and my recommendation letters/transcripts around mid/late Jan (before the 31st of course!).

Congrats SunnyDee37! Is Columbia your first choice, or are ya waiting on others?
Not a problem PassionateOT! I applied in January - sent my online app in on Jan 1st and my recommendation letters/transcripts around mid/late Jan (before the 31st of course!).[/QUOTE
I am waiting on Kean after an interview last week. Of course I believe Columbia to be a much better program, but there is the cost factor to consider with Kean. But if no word from them, then I will be accepting Columbia and taking the 3 year option.

Thanks for the information OTBound217, and congratulations SunnyDee37. I hope I hear back from Columbia soon!

This waiting game is tough!
Anybody know if Columbia is still sending more acceptance letters, or if it is time to give up hope?

Just heard back from Columbia - wait listed

I just got wait listed from columbia as well.
Was accepted to NYU about 3 weeks ago.

For the people who got accepted to Columbia, when do you have to decide by?

I also was waitlisted this morning. I called and they said that the wait list is unranked (which doesn't really make sense to me..curious if this is just what they tell you) and that they will review all waitlisted applicants when there is a position available.