Anyone have recent, reliable data on Peds Subspecialty compensation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also considering a pediatrician has a minimum of 7 years of very grueling post-college training, often with loans. If people in finance and comp sci make six figures straight out of undergrad, I don't think it's unreasonable for a physician to want to make more than that.
There's a cap for comp sci guys, most of them don't cross $150k in their lifetime. Bay Area salaries are different but $150k in CA is more like 80k in the midwest or South East. Also, not all finance guys end up being MDs & partners in investment banking firms. They start at a meager salary of $70-80k as an analyst and 3 years in that role will promote em to be an associate making ~100k. VP position is where it really starts but the base salary is kinda low and bonus is where it's all at. This is primarily possible if they're particularly working in Investment Banking or Securities divisions which have grueling hours. IB guys consistently work 100+hrs/week and if they're performance is not meeting the set targets...they're simply let loose

It's understandable for people to think grass is always greener on the other side but it simply isn't when you have family or friends who are associated with such fields. Again, peds being the lowest paid is ridiculous IMO since we do everything what our adult counterparts do though the complications vary and I feel we should get paid on par with meds

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a cap for comp sci guys, most of them don't cross $150k in their lifetime. Bay Area salaries are different but $150k in CA is more like 80k in the midwest or South East. Also, not all finance guys end up being MDs & partners in investment banking firms. They start at a meager salary of $70-80k as an analyst and 3 years in that role will promote em to be an associate making ~100k. VP position is where it really starts but the base salary is kinda low and bonus is where it's all at. This is primarily possible if they're particularly working in Investment Banking or Securities divisions which have grueling hours. IB guys consistently work 100+hrs/week and if they're performance is not meeting the set targets...they're simply let loose

It's understandable for people to think grass is always greener on the other side but it simply isn't when you have family or friends who are associated with such fields. Again, peds being the lowest paid is ridiculous IMO since we do everything what our adult counterparts do though the complications vary and I feel we should get paid on par with meds
Yeah, my SO is in finance, and again, he made six figures after his bonus straight out of college in a low cost of living area. Versus someone in medicine who won't get to that salary for at least seven more years, working similar hours often with loans on top of it. The extra debt and delayed income puts physicians in a hole early on compared to other high-paying careers, and while the orthopedic surgeon will make it up, an academic pediatrician might not ever depending on their salary and loan burden.

Yeah, my SO is in finance, and again, he made six figures after his bonus straight out of college in a low cost of living area. Versus someone in medicine who won't get to that salary for at least seven more years, working similar hours often with loans on top of it. The extra debt and delayed income puts physicians in a hole early on compared to other high-paying careers, and while the orthopedic surgeon will make it up, an academic pediatrician might not ever depending on their salary and loan burden.

I agree but the number of people who really make it in the finance world are the only ones we're aware off while there are tons of other scrub workers for em who make no more than 80-90k in their lifetimes in cities like NYC. Also, most people move out of finance eventually due to the stress. Certain med specialties like surgical fields and cardiologists are also under a lot of stress but they're satisfied with their jobs. Most of my family and my SO's are in the finance or med industry and none of em say they're professionally satisfied despite making money

Being in a low paying specialty will give you a consistent salary of $180-250k and the hours aren't too bad when compared to our surgical or adult counterparts. Get a fellowship in PICU, NICU, Peds Cards and you'd easily make another $100k more. Invest wisely, maybe in ancillary businesses and you could make significantly more than your base salary. While most people are awestruck with Ortho, Cards, Neuro folks making $600k-1mn...they make 2-4 times as much from their side hustles like contracts with pharma and med devices companies, ancillary businesses, re-investing in their PP groups and expansion etc. If a major healthcare group ends up buying their PP, which is happening a lot lately...they just won the lotto

Members don't see this ad :)
With regards to loans etc... I agree loans certainly take a toll on individuals. But, to play Devil's Advocate... no one forced an individual to take out loans with a 6-7% interest rate or to chose a lower paying specialty like pediatrics, FM or IM. Life is all about decisions and those decisions shape our future. If you are smart enough to get into medical school, pass the STEPs and get into residency, you are intelligent enough to do almost anything without obtaining all of these crazy loans. If anything, we need to provide our children with better financial knowledge about loans etc and the reprocussions about clicking accept when these loan sharks make them available to us. Just my 2 cents.

With regards to loans etc... I agree loans certainly take a toll on individuals. But, to play Devil's Advocate... no one forced an individual to take out loans with a 6-7% interest rate or to chose a lower paying specialty like pediatrics, FM or IM. Life is all about decisions and those decisions shape our future. If you are smart enough to get into medical school, pass the STEPs and get into residency, you are intelligent enough to do almost anything without obtaining all of these crazy loans. If anything, we need to provide our children with better financial knowledge about loans etc and the reprocussions about clicking accept when these loan sharks make them available to us. Just my 2 cents.

It feels like you're speaking out both sides of your mouth here to some degree. You're wanting people to be financially saavy with loans, but not their income? Of course the decision to go into pediatrics is a choice, but it should be an informed decision just like the decision to take on the loan burden needed for med school. I would love to hear your strategy for how most individuals can avoid accumulating a substantial debt by pursuing medical school though. The average in state tuition works out to 150k over 4 years without accounting for COL. You could go to college on scholarship, pursue engineering, get a solid 70-80k job of which you'll take home about 55. You live adequately but frugally on 20k a year of that, invest the remaining 35k/yr, with some quality investing and get 10% return a year until you reach the point of being able to pay for school. In the time that takes, why is that the logical decision as opposed to pursuing your desired career from the get go and just taking on the debt? Having passion for your career and being an advocate for yourself with regard to income are not mutually exclusive paths