Anyone get in with a 7 on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgweEmeka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future med students..so as some of you may know or not, the beloved mcat scores came out yesterday and I got the worst possible score i could have ever gotten, 11 PS 11 BS 7 VR WR Q (29Q). This is not representative of my actual ability because I was averaging a 32-34 on the AAMC exams and some Kaplan exams. I guess my question is what schools do you think are willing to overlook the 7 VR. The physical and bio are obviously good enough and they are representative of my abilites because they correlate with my science GPA which is higher than my overall. I guess my problem with something like the verbal is that it is really hard for me to focus and consequently understand the passages well enough to choose an answer. I usually strain my brain to even get through the passages, not because they are necessarily hard to read, but more so because I cannot get myself to focus and read something I am not interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools look at only the average (so, you averaged above a nine on each MCAT section...). I have a friend who was accepted to two allopathic schools with a 7 PS, 11 BS, and 13 VR.

If retaking isn't an option (which it sounds like it isn't), go for it! Just be sure to check any schools that have a minimum on any section (I know MCW does, but I'm not sure if it's a 7 or an 8) and apply to schools with lower MCAT averages.

It is very hard to get in with a 7! Med schools are looking for reasons to reject people and a 7 is a "red" flag. If you were doing well on your practice tests then I would retake in August and try to pull that 7 up to atleast a 9. I know from personal experience that a ow verbal score can sink you as it did when I applied the first time. It can be improved though and I would retake before applying. Your other scores are good and of course some people get in with 7's on verbal but there are a lot more who get rejected than the occasional applicant who gets accepted with a 7. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem as you. I got in to two schools with that verbal score. I'd say that it really depends on which school you are trying to go to. If your out for Harvard or Wash U, that verbal school could be a problem, however at most other schools, your overall score is pretty good. You might have to explain well why your verbal score might be lower than the rest. If you feel like takin it again you might want to throw in some advanced literature into your preparation. Also look to see if you have enough time this summer to adequately prepare. Your score looks good in the sciences now, so be careful that if you take it again, you keep studying for all your sciences as well as often, one or two sections scores increase while the others decrease.

appreciate all your input, you guys are seriously the best. I think i am leaning toward Dr. Phenomena's suggestion. I think i am going to take a shot with that score hopefully my 3.5 overall and 3.75 science gpa, 2+ years of research with publication on the way, tons of volunteering and extracurriculars(unique ones including intercollegiate sport) and as much as i try not to consider it, but being a URM (african american) should hopefully get me into my state school. Thanks again all.

I know I guy (non-URM) who got into Baylor last year with a VR 7, but he had a composite 31 and had an outstanding application overall. It is possible. :thumbup: :luck:

dr.z said:
Jefferson doesn't take anyone with subscore of 7. I was told that every section had to be 8 or more.

I got in to several schools with a verbal score of 7 (31 total though, 12,12,7) and an O in writting....... but English is NOT my first language and I told the ADCOMS that!!

You are in good shape. I know one person get 6 and another one got 7 on verbal, and both of them got into a medical school. You can as well.

I've met a few...... and they weren't even URM's.

i got in with a 7. i took both april and august exams last year and still got a 7 on both. I made small improvements in my practice, but still screwed up on the test. You can still get in and I'm definitely not URM!!! Don't let it keep you from applying by any means. Although the MCAT can be a huge factor in your application, it is not your application period. Adcoms will consider your grades and everything else. Best of luck and hang in there.

Don't worry, I got in with a 6 in VR. Applied to 7 schools, withdrew from 2, and got into 3. Kill your interview. Good Luck. BTW I am not a URM either.

I got into two schools with a 7 VR. I had a 30 O overall. and an okay GPA. One school I got into I was considered a legacy admission, but I will not be going there. It is possible but it was a red flag at my state schools (NC). I had a great interview at MUSC though.

I was in the same boat as the OP. I can't focus on stuff that I don't care about. I have to be interested in it to do well. I took the kaplan prep course and raised my score 2pts from the diagnostic :thumbdown: . Not very impressive. I would do well on the passages in which I was interested, but did poorly on the ones I did not like. The margin for error on the verbal is much smaller than that of the science sections because there are less questions and people tend to do rather well on it.

Just so you know I am not technically a URM. I grew up speaking english even though my father's first language was not english.

MDapplicants will make you feel that you have to have a 12 in every section to get into just a state school. You don't. Good luck, stick with it and stay away from the pre-allo section. Those people will rip you a new one.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, got in with a 7 in verbal. got waitlisted though at most schools (probably cuz of it, cuz the rest of my app was great)

You have a very competitive application overall, so don't let a 7 on the verbal bum you out. =)

With a 29 you will definitely be invited to a handful of interviews, but just be prepared to explain why you think you only acheived a 7... And I would probably not do it by stating that you don't score well on subjects that disinterest you (even though it's so true). Just shrug it off as you being overly cautious in reading the passages so unfortunately ran out of time - but definitely say that you reflected on that mistake and therefore adapted and did super on the subsequent sections.

Also, it really helps by pointing out undergrad reading/writing intensive courses that you did well in to reassure the interviewer your verbal abilities.

OR, they might not even bring it up at all. Good luck, and make sure you apply to a few safety schools to cover all grounds.

I got in with a 7. I know people that got 5 and 6's on the verbal and got in. If the rest of your application has no red flags, I wouldn't worry about it.

i agree. didnt get a whole bunch of interviews, just tulane and vcu with a 29L, 7V not URM. took the mcat in 2003 too, just too tired to retake it in 2004. schools didnt ask about it.

It really depends on your aspirations if you should re-take. If you're going for a highly competitive school, then you should re-take it and do massive amounts of verbal practice. If you are aiming at a school that averages lower MCAT scores overall, then just go ahead and apply, I doubt your verbal score will be the defining feature of your app, especially at a school that accepts students with slightly lower average scores.
On the other hand, I got a 6 on my first verbal (courtesy of a fire alarm going off for 10 minutes during the section), which didn't correspond to my other scores at all. I re-took the test, (after re-doing every princeton verbal section I could get my hands on) got a 10, and had no problems from there, other than explaining the difference at every interview. Overall I usually recommend not rushing the application process and going for the higher score if you are at all shaky about your situation. You just have to decide what type of school you want to attend and go from there.
Good luck

a friend of mine who is currently in his 2nd research year of an MD/PHD program got into great schools, including Duke and Dartmouth, with a 14B -14P- 8V

hes from zimbabwe, though.

check out MSAR it has the spreads of scores-Jeff didn't take anybody with lower than an 8. Drexel took someone with a 4 in VR though so check that out to figure where to apply-beefballs

beefballs said:
check out MSAR it has the spreads of scores-Jeff didn't take anybody with lower than an 8. Drexel took someone with a 4 in VR though so check that out to figure where to apply-beefballs

Something isn't kosher with a verbal score of a 4 at Drexel. I am sure that there is something else that we don't know about, such as taking the MCAT another time and getting a much higher score.

albinomidget said:
Something isn't kosher with a verbal score of a 4 at Drexel. I am sure that there is something else that we don't know about, such as taking the MCAT another time and getting a much higher score.

The person at Drexel could have gotten in through the post-bach program. I know someone at my school that got in with a 4 in verbal through the post bac program (were they don't count your MCAT as much).

I got in with a 7 verbal, but I also minored in english...I'd like to think that that helped.

I got a 7 verbal, but my overall was a 30. Don't worry about it as long as you got plenty of other stuff going on (experience, other degrees/minors, etc.) It never came up at a single interview