Anyone ever been placed on academic probation and or academically suspended

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently this year academically suspended/placed on academic probation after fall semester 2002. However I was reinstated back into the university after the dean of the college saw that I had sufficient reason for a return. There were many personal problems that affected my life and caused that to happen. I was wondering how much do you think this will affect my chances of medical school. I will certainly be explaining to the adcoms what happend. My academic performance this past year was not a result of my inability to learn the material and pass those classes but was due to more personal problems. Fortunately these circumstances have been tooken care of and I am now able to do the best at what I am able to do. I also would like to know if anybody else have been through similar circumstances and if so how did you overcome them especially those that have gotten accepted to medical schools. You can send PMs if you like.

Members don't see this ad.

I was expelled form college in my junior year after having had a very difficult personal year that included the murder of a high school friend that I attended college with.

So, I'll start with the good news: I was accepted MD/PhD (3rd tier) 14 years later , completed an MS in Chemistry 13 years later, and was readmitted 4 years later to the University that kicked me out, and graduated with departmental honors. I also earned a second bachelors degree in Chemistry 8 years after was initially expelled.

Now for the bad news: The absolute BEST thing you can do to get admitted to medical school after suspension/expulsion is to put some space between the time you were suspended/expelled and your application to medical school. This means I don't think it's wise to apply anytime within the next 3-5 years because your academic difficulties with be fresh on the minds of the adcoms. I also think I would be a good idea to get an MS in hard core science like Anatomy or biochemistry remembering to take a few upper level courses with undergraduates to address the "graduate grade inflcation" issue. Pm me if you want more info.

Good Luck !

I was placed on academic probation after a semester I had not finished because of a serious medical condition. I later received a medical withdrawal from the semester....wonder if it is still on my record. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
A bump for those of us whom experienced this unfortunate situation.

I was kinda wondering about that myself. I was put on academic probation after my first semester freshman year (this was 13 years ago). A few years ago, I ordered an unofficial copy of my undergraduate transcripts and there was nothing about it on there. I think a number of people did poorly their first semester, so I wonder if Hopkins omits that purposely?

Anyway, I explained in my AMCAS applications about my personal issues at that time, which should cover the problem should it arise. Plus, my more recent post-bacc grades are really good. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that on one of my secondaries, I can't remember which, there was a question asking if any academic disciplinary action had ever been taken against me, and I answered no. To be honest, it wasn't really a big deal and it kinda slipped my mind. Plus, seeing as there was no reference to it on my transcript, why dredge it up?

I'm not super worried about it, but it did occur to me later. Since I can't even remember which school it was, I couldn't even fix it if I wanted to. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I was on AP my freshman year, almost double AP'ed my second semester (and thus almost booted). I had no particular reason for it, but I'm in several schools now, and interviews at some I that totally blew me away (I didn't think they would touch me with a 10 foot pole)

I spent a year doing research, got an MPH, and and working on a MS now.

there is hope.

Originally posted by exmike
I was on AP my freshman year, almost double AP'ed my second semester (and thus almost booted). I had no particular reason for it, but I'm in several schools now, and interviews at some I that totally blew me away (I didn't think they would touch me with a 10 foot pole)

I spent a year doing research, got an MPH, and and working on a MS now.

there is hope.

Very Impressive Exmike and congratulations!!!

If I remember correctly...exmike also got a 35 on the MCATs. I think that might have had an influence on his admissions because he scored higher than over 95% of the test takers for his test date.