Anyone else applying to University of Colorado?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey k0ni, my advice would be: leave Hawaii and go to Colorado. It will be a great life experience and you will learn a lot about yourself too. I've enjoyed my time in North Carolina after having grown up on Maui for 19 years, which is why UNC was my first choice again for pharmacy school. Good luck with whatever decision you make though.

Members don't see this ad.

But NC has the ocean right there. Denver? That's a looooooong drive to see the ocean. At least from Phoenix its only half a day drive to Mexico or Southern Cali. I didn't grow up near the ocean, but people I know who did seem to always miss it.

Has anyone recieved email whose interview was on march 4th or after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice Voluble. Going from Maui to NC must have been a huge transition for you. Hearing about your move makes me feel better.. Thanks. :)

azPharmD2B-- I guess I'll just have to get my beach fix in before I leave.. At least I can always return home over breaks. :p

On another note.. Did anyone else have to correct their FAFSA and resubmit it because we're not considered professional as a P1? I just did and now I'm hoping that I won't be too short on the federal loans! The tuition for out-of-state is over 30k (including all the fees and what not).

I interviewed March 7 and got my acceptance email today woohoo! Good luck to those waiting!

I live 30 mins from the ocean. Gonna miss it, but I believe colorado is worth it! Got my acceptance today and I'm psyched!:D

pharmit--- when was your interview?

it was 3/14 if I remember right

Did you all get your emails at the same time today? I was just wondering if it was a mass email sent to a bunch of people at the same time or individual emails. Not like it really makes a difference at this point. I'm just wondering why I haven't heard anything yet. I'm so so so tired of waiting. Also, do we know if anyone has received a rejection email yet? It seems like they have all been acceptance emails... which makes me even more worried.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I hope to see you this fall! I received my acceptance notification today.:D

Pharmit--I interviewed with you on 3/14. I have no idea who you are, but I'm glad to hear you were accepted. Congrats!

Yes, it's not yet but they will be. The program looks like it's well on track.

Maybe I'm just dealing with a fear of leaving Hawaii. Lol.

Have you heard anything from UW?

Nothing is a "will be" in the worth of accreditation. The school can say that all they want, but its not up to them. I would be surprised if they didn't, but you just never know.

Nothing is a "will be" in the worth of accreditation. The school can say that all they want, but its not up to them. I would be surprised if they didn't, but you just never know.

True.. You are correct.

Could you suggest any safe areas for housing around the medical campus? Some people had mentioned certain areas to avoid but I have completely forgotten. Something about.. not going east on Colfax? Is that right?

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I hope to see you this fall! I received my acceptance notification today.:D

Pharmit--I interviewed with you on 3/14. I have no idea who you are, but I'm glad to hear you were accepted. Congrats!

I interviewed on the 14th as well and got the email this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)

The university is on track to being awarded "Candidate" status by ACPE. This almost always happens after the first year a new program opens up (during the summer). After that, the university will need to wait until they graduate their first class to be fully accredited.

As for me... I was stuck between Houston and Denver but I went with Houston after hours and hours of thinking

True.. You are correct.

Could you suggest any safe areas for housing around the medical campus? Some people had mentioned certain areas to avoid but I have completely forgotten. Something about.. not going east on Colfax? Is that right?

Most people seem to live in the areas south of the school somewhere along leetsdale or alameda. There are also some people that live near the old 9th ave campus. Frankly there isn't much that is "close" to the school or would I want to live there.

Is there a lot of plane noise from Denver Int'l or the National Guard base nearby?

Is there a lot of plane noise from Denver Int'l or the National Guard base nearby?

Its not too bad. I've never noticed it inside a building and only occasionally when outside. I mostly notice the F-16's since they have a distinct noise from commercial traffic.

How many people are coming from out-of-state? I've started looking online for housing but it's hard to tell if it's really good or not!

Here's a good link:
http://www.cudenverhousing.com/

The housing on there must be alright since it's on the CU site, right? :p

Hey Guys,

So I just got my acceptance package from colorado and I will be moving there from Chicago...WOOOO.....I'm also wondering about housing situations. Is anyone willing to roommate? I am female but I don't mind living with either a guy or a girl. Also what areas are people considering? Just looking for some advice.

Thanks
Danielle

That website is still going by the downtown location. I would find an apartment listing company and do a search based on the new campus address. I would also try calling the student services office located at CU and see if they have any recommendations or if there are current students that need roommates as well.

Yes, the site does go by the downtown location. I've just been searching by region (using the map and clicking on the lower right quadrant for the area by "the fitzsimons campus").

I should just get one of those two story foreclosed homes nearby, toss some bunk beds in the bedrooms and make it into a PharmD dormitory, lol.

There's a trailer park across the street that looks pretty cozy. I've been thinking about that option.

Personally, I live in the Capital Hill neighborhood close to downtown. There are a lot of aparments in this area, some good and some bad. The neighborhood is pretty urban and densely populated - not everyone likes that. It's a pretty safe neighborhood considering how urban it is. I'm about a 20-25 minute drive from campus. I can get there by bus in about 45 minutes.

Generally, most areas of Denver Metro are pretty safe. Don't rent anything you haven't checked out thoroughly. Hang out in the neighborhood a bit to get a feel for the area. Denver's one of those cities where the vibe of an area changes block by block (except for the suburbs which are pretty homogenous).

You can see crime statistics for different areas for the City and County of Denver here (suburban cities may have something similar on their web pages):

Denver Crime Statistics (you have to click the acknowledgment at the bottom to proceed)

While I'm at it:

Register Your Car

Turn on the Lights

Phone home

Watch some TV (over the air broadcast is pretty good in Denver though)

Good luck on your moves, everybody. Welcome to Colorado!

For those that received acceptances via email.. Did any of you receive the admissions packet yet? I need the official admission letter with my name on it for WICHE.. and they're meeting sometime this month!

Edit-- nevermind, received the packet just now.

For those of you on the waitlist keep your hopes up. I'm going to be declining my offer from CU as I just got an opportunity for a full scholarship to Creighton's distance program. Good luck to you all!

For those of you on the waitlist keep your hopes up. I'm going to be declining my offer from CU as I just got an opportunity for a full scholarship to Creighton's distance program. Good luck to you all!

haha and you were stressing so much over getting accepted

Has anyone received any more correspondence from UCHSC since turning in their paperwork for acceptance? I still haven't gotten back my financial aid stuff. :confused:

Oh and some questions for current students.. How's the traffic over there? I was looking at some apts about 10 miles south of the campus and wondering how the commute is.. How's the parking situation on campus too?

And another thing... Please tell me there is a starbucks somewhere near the campus. The student who gave my group's tour told us there was no starbucks on campus. Why?! :eek:

And another thing... Please tell me there is a starbucks somewhere near the campus. The student who gave my group's tour told us there was no starbucks on campus. Why?! :eek:

There is not a starbucks on or very close to campus. There are several school run coffee places on campus, but they are pretty blah. Children's hospital has a Peaberry coffee in their lobby. There is also a Caribou coffee across from campus.

Ya I am very unsure about driving and parking as well. I've also been looking at living about 5-10 miles south of the University I guess it would be in the Cherry Creek area? Or Lowry neighborhood?? And I am thinking about a commuting drive because the bus system seems quite inefficient. But I keep hearing different things about parking. The administration people keep telling me that its hard to park on the campus but I've also heard from some students that commuting and parking on campus is not that bad and you can always find a parking place. So now I don't know what to believe or where to live. The administration people also told me that car pooling would be a good way to secure a parking spot. Is that true? Do people car pool if they live in similar areas? Just looking for some input.

Has anyone received any more correspondence from UCHSC since turning in their paperwork for acceptance? I still haven't gotten back my financial aid stuff. :confused:

Given that they probably got 100+ packets back in the span of a week, they are probably waiting to process them all, then send everything out at one time. Makes it easier to keep track of things.

Everyone I talked to during my tour said lots of new stuff should be open by this fall. Keep your fingers crossed!

I sent them an email on Friday morning and they confirmed today that everything of mine was received. So that's a step anyway :)

I sent them an email on Friday morning and they confirmed today that everything of mine was received. So that's a step anyway :)

Haha, yeah.. I called them this morning and found out everything was received too. I spoke to the financial aid dept and they told me the award letters will probably go out sometime at the end of May.

I was starting to wonder if I had dreamt this all up. Lol.

All that's left to do now is.. immunizations and renew my CPR/First Aid certs. Have fun everyone!

I was notified that I had been wait-listed for Class of 2012 acceptance. Does anyone have any stats or information on the wait list? I know that the deadline for accepted students to reply was last week. Have they sent out another batch of acceptance letters? Are they going to? The waiting is seriously killing me.especially since I have no idea if I even have a chance. Any information from anybody would be extremely helpful. Thanks! :scared:

I would suggest doing the CPR classes that are offered through the school. Its a good way to meet a few people before classes start.

Will they give that info out with confirmation papers? Are they giving confirmation papers? I figured they would but now realize that I didn't see anywhere them actually saying they would...

To the waitlisted:
All I can tell you is that you aren't the only one and you're best bet is to not bug them too much. A friend of mine is also waitlisted and they told him pretty much point blank, "don't call us, we'll call you."

Congrats everyone! Pat, maybe this class will be cool. I think it skips a year.

To the waitlisted:
All I can tell you is that you aren't the only one and you're best bet is to not bug them too much. A friend of mine is also waitlisted and they told him pretty much point blank, "don't call us, we'll call you."[/quote]

Thanks. Congratulations to all those accepted! I've e-mailed UCHSC twice and I was kind of thinking that I shouldn't bug them anymore due to Beverly Brunsons very short e-mail reply. Does anybody else have any info for my obsessive mind?

Will they give that info out with confirmation papers? Are they giving confirmation papers? I figured they would but now realize that I didn't see anywhere them actually saying they would...

I do believe they will send out info about the classes via email eventually. Most of them were offered right before school started.

I would suggest doing the CPR classes that are offered through the school. Its a good way to meet a few people before classes start.

Awh man. I already dished out $69 for a Red Cross class and there's no refunds. Maybe next year. :p Thanks for the info.

Awh man. I already dished out $69 for a Red Cross class and there's no refunds. Maybe next year. :p Thanks for the info.

a bit too eager k0ni

a bit too eager k0ni

Yeah, really. I'm dreading the long drive and the extra gas I'll be using too. The gas prices are killing me. It's at 3.74/gal here. My car doesn't like regular gas either. Hahah

Yeah, really. I'm dreading the long drive and the extra gas I'll be using too. The gas prices are killing me. It's at 3.74/gal here. My car doesn't like regular gas either. Hahah

seriously. is it that long a drive? maybe the money you would save on gas by not going would pay for the cost of the class

seriously. is it that long a drive? maybe the money you would save on gas by not going would pay for the cost of the class

Lol. It's not that far. Maybe this island living has spoiled me. Anything taking longer than 30 minutes of driving feels far away to me. It's about 10 miles but there's a lot of traffic going that way (it's near Waikiki).

Hey does anybody else still need to get their hep B injection series still? I'm getting the first shot this week, but it's impossible for me to have the whole series finished before June 1st....that should be ok right?

And thanks for the info about when we'll be getting our award letters. I've been so anxious about that, because we'll have to make arrangements for whatever $$$ we can't get thru financial aid. And we will need more money; my old senior tech is a P1 now and she said that she had to get a secondary loan from astrive.com to cover the rest because of the whole undergraduate status p1 loophole thing.

Does anyone know when we'll be getting a letter of matriculation stating we're enrolled? Because according to the state board I can't become licensed as a pharmacy intern until I send them a letter of enrollment signed by the dean, or my actual schedule. This is a bummer because I can make around $4 more per hour if I have that license. Any info?
Thanks, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Does anyone know when we'll be getting a letter of matriculation stating we're enrolled? Because according to the state board I can't become licensed as a pharmacy intern until I send them a letter of enrollment signed by the dean, or my actual schedule. This is a bummer because I can make around $4 more per hour if I have that license. Any info?
Thanks, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

According to this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6508962&postcount=13
we will only be getting that letter of enrollment after orientation. I've also talked to a P4 at the pharmacy I work at who confirmed this. Even though when I checked the UCHSC SOP's website, the FAQ (http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/pharmd/7.Admissions/4.Resources/4.FAQS.html#working) still says you can apply once you send your confirmation form + fee... Might be worth giving the school a call to see what the deal is.