Anyone been in my shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arrector Pili

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my undergraduate degree in Biology in 1996 at the age of 21, with the intention of eventually going to medical school. By age 22 I left school to open my own business, one that I had always dreamed of owning, but realistically never thought would be possible. So here I am now 29 years old, with a successful business, but still inside I feel there is something missing. So I decided last year to go back to school. I started taking classes this semester with the intentions of going to Nursing school. But I don't know if this is the right thing to do. I have about 30 credits and am not sure if I should go to Nursing school, get my BSN, and then take my pre-med courses. Or should I go pre-med now, and if things just don't work out try an accelerated BSN program later, like maybe during my glide year? And of course, I am very concerned about my age. I'll be 32 by the time I finish up my undergrad, add on another 8 years for med school and residency, now we're talking 40 years old !$@#!!! Am I nuts for wanting to do this? I also have my wife and young child(18 months) to consider... She says she'll support me with whatever decision I make, but I don't know if she realizes the sacrifices we might have to make... Anyway thanks in advance for any replies ...

Members don't see this ad.

If the option is nursing and then maybe med school vs working on pre recs now I'd go with doing pre recs.
Have you considered doing all the pre recs for med school doing the MCATs hopefully doing very well in both departments and trying to apply to med school early with out a degree? It's risky but not impossible.

First off, Don't let the age thing be a burden (i'm 32).....now with that said lets give you a little direction......

With only 30 credits down you have quite a bit further to travel before you are prepared to make the transition to medical school. With the ever growing applicant pool, the chances of you getting accepted without a degree are slim to none....like saying you would hire a guy that bought a flight similator game but never played it to fly your family to london....just not going to happen. Now I have my BSN, actually it was my second degree, but that is besides the point. What I am trying to get at here is that you can nail down the majority of your premed requirements while getting your BSN.

So work towards them both, that way if you don't get into medical school on your first try then you can establish a solid network of medical professionals that will gladly back your application all the while gaining valuable experiences in the healthcare field in prepartion for your next application cycle.

Good luck,

Mark

LECOM c/o 2009