Anyone attending Ghana University Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone on this forum attending Ghana University School of medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I will preface this by noting that anything I say is purely anecdotal in nature and based only on my personal experiences living in Ghana and attending the University of Ghana as an exchange student...

Word is that UGSOM is the best medical school in West Africa. The institution as a whole does a good job at educating its students (by somewhat lesser standards than a US institution). The library on campus is also one of the best in West Africa.

If you want to live/practice in Ghana or West Africa or want an education in tropical diseases that you can't get in the US then UG is a good place to do that. (I always tell people that I felt safer being screened for malaria in Ghana than after I got back -- Ghanaian doctors actually know what to look for!)

Now, I noticed that you are a St. Luke student, so no offense intended with the "best medical school in West Africa" comment, it's just what I heard! Are you considering UG instead of St. Luke?

ChE_Babe said:
I will preface this by noting that anything I say is purely anecdotal in nature and based only on my personal experiences living in Ghana and attending the University of Ghana as an exchange student...

Word is that UGSOM is the best medical school in West Africa. The institution as a whole does a good job at educating its students (by somewhat lesser standards than a US institution). The library on campus is also one of the best in West Africa.

If you want to live/practice in Ghana or West Africa or want an education in tropical diseases that you can't get in the US then UG is a good place to do that. (I always tell people that I felt safer being screened for malaria in Ghana than after I got back -- Ghanaian doctors actually know what to look for!)

Now, I noticed that you are a St. Luke student, so no offense intended with the "best medical school in West Africa" comment, it's just what I heard! Are you considering UG instead of St. Luke?

Actually no. I'm happy with St. Luke but I more interested in talking with students from UGSOM. I do have some question that I like to ask in private if you may.

If you want to PM me with any questions you think I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to try my best!