Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@foody Thanks for the info! Anyone hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

@foody Thanks for the info! Anyone hear anything?
I haven't. I called UQ yesterday as well and they basically told me they had no idea when they'll make their decision by. I think we're in for another long wait.

Reactions: 1 user
@panda532, they had no date at all? Oh my god. What if they decide to just not figure it out and then accept other people.....filling the quota...This is so crazy. I guess I'll try and call today and force an answer from somebody if possible...they have to know at least when are the meetings happening

Members don't see this ad :)
@panda532, they had no date at all? Oh my god. What if they decide to just not figure it out and then accept other people.....filling the quota...This is so crazy. I guess I'll try and call today and force an answer from somebody if possible...they have to know at least when are the meetings happening
What's your problem? How about you mind your own business and keep your opinions to yourself and not take your anger out on an online forum. You don't know my situation or my exact reason for calling so how about you show some respect in matters you're ignorant about.

Worst come to worst, I will just physically go to the University in July when I'm there and try to get answers for all of us. Hoping we won't have to wait until then. This is getting pretty ridiculous.

@panda532
What's your problem? How about you mind your own business and keep your opinions to yourself and not take your anger out on an online forum. You don't know my situation or my exact reason for calling so how about you show some respect in matters you're ignorant about.

Wow uhhh I wasn't trying to get angry with you...but at UQ??? In fact I was agreeing with what you said. You took what I said way out of context. Take a chill pill.

edit: Would just like to clarify my issues are with UQ...and nobody else. Sheesh everyone takes everything so personally. And mededpath. I don't like them.

Not a bad idea going in person @evangeline47 that would be great if you got some info from them in person

When you are talking about decisions, is that in regards to application decisions, or accepting MCATs from 2012 thing?

@panda532

Wow uhhh I wasn't trying to get angry with you...but at UQ??? In fact I was agreeing with what you said. You took what I said way out of context. Take a chill pill.

edit: Would just like to clarify my issues are with UQ...and nobody else. Sheesh everyone takes everything so personally. And mededpath. I don't like them.
Hahaha I read that sarcastically for some reason. I'm really sorry about that. No hard feelings :)?

I also asked them based on previous years how long the wait was between each batch of decisions and all I got was an annoyed we don't know.

Been lurking for a while, just wanted to commiserate with my fellow applicants. The wait has been long but I guess what does a couple more months mean? *dies a little inside*

Can any current students comment on their application process/timeline?

Does anyone know the grading system for UQ-Ochsner? Is it pass/fail?

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be the wrong place for this and this might definitely be a very silly question, but what method do internationals go about applying to Australian med schools?

I'm looking to apply for the 2015 cycle. Yes I know that it is a little late, so feel free to throw information at me!

@walkonwater, I have used oztrekk.com to get more information for the Australian schools but it is a service mainly for Canadian citizens. What you can do is go to each Australian website like Monash for example and see the application for internationals. Usually most schools either have a direct application or international representatives in your country to help with the process. If you want a comprehensive list of schools in Australia, wikipedia has it. The UQ-Ochsner program is only for US citizens or US permanent residents. However, Mededpath the company that deals with the application for the program now has an application page for internationals. Hope this helped.

This might be the wrong place for this and this might definitely be a very silly question, but what method do internationals go about applying to Australian med schools?

I'm looking to apply for the 2015 cycle. Yes I know that it is a little late, so feel free to throw information at me!
The way I've applied is through a UQ representative. Just follow the link http://www.uq.edu.au/international-students/international-educational-representatives and call the one closest to you. Good luck!

Just accepted, thought I'd share: (US student)

MS GPA: 3.8; uGPA: 3.07
MCAT: 28
Applied late April, heard back 5/20. Heard back sooner than the 6-8 weeks.

If you have a secondary degree, they do not consider your uGPA. The deposit process has been a bit of a pain--the deposit itself is in USD but the health insurance has to be in AUD. You have to pay for both before your spot is secured. You have 42 days to get it all done, plus choosing your first-year teaching hospital.

Spoke to the MedEdPath people, the grading system is the 7-point scale as mentioned above. She said that most students grade a 6, and that 7's are rare because of the lack of grade inflation...sounds like they grade on a strict curve.

@walkonwater, I have used oztrekk.com to get more information for the Australian schools but it is a service mainly for Canadian citizens. What you can do is go to each Australian website like Monash for example and see the application for internationals. Usually most schools either have a direct application or international representatives in your country to help with the process. If you want a comprehensive list of schools in Australia, wikipedia has it. The UQ-Ochsner program is only for US citizens or US permanent residents. However, Mededpath the company that deals with the application for the program now has an application page for internationals. Hope this helped.

It does! I am a Canadian but I wasn't sure if I should trust ozztrekk since I had never heard of it until I googled it. I think I'll apply through there.

More questions, if anyone is willing to answer them:
Will I need to convert my GPA before applying? Can you even convert and find out if you have a shot?
Is there a PS like there are for US schools?
Is it also on a rolling admissions system with a shorter application cycle?

Thanks for all the help so far!

@abe07

Congratulations on your acceptance!

For those of us awaiting the MCAT decision, can you tell us when you wrote the MCAT?

@walkonwater, Ozztrekk is very helpful and also if you apply through them you don't have to pay any application fees. You can convert your gpa (I think a 5=2.7 GPA) but I think Ozztrekk can help you do all that. Not sure about the other stuff

@Xenophon I took it January 2012.

@Xenophon Took it Jan 2012. Signed up for July.....but I might back down and take a year off. MCAT studying is going nowhere

@foody

If I don't hear anything by the end of the day today, I am signing up for the MCAT, probably late June or early July.

I am starting to feel uncomfortable about UQ's MCAT decision. My application was complete and received by mededpath on March 7. It has been 12 weeks. Such a long period of silence makes me feel that they are going to change the MCAT requirement.

@Xenophon, I have a strong feeling you are right. I would be very surprised at this point if they didn't change it. Hadn't even thought of it like that.

@foody
Yeah, it's actually 12 weeks to the day since my application was received. Completely ridiculous and unnerving.
I figure there must be some serious debate within the faculty about the decision if it has taken this long. If they were all on one side of the debate, it would have taken them five minutes to decide (either way) and we would have heard by now.

I'm considering applying for the traditional 4 year program now too since this is taking forever. I spoke with global links and I was sent some information. I came across the entry requirements and they changed the MCAT date to after January 2013. This may not mean anything and I certainly hope that even if it has changed, they will still take the MCAT scores of those that already applied and were awaiting the decision.

Here's the link:

http://www.degreesoverseas.com/upload/file/Canada/Medicine/UQ_MD.pdf

@Xenophon

I'm not exactly sure what the MCAT fiasco is that so many people are talking about, but I do know that with some of the bigger issues/questions I've had, I talked to a number of people. Whitney Bennett is great about returning calls, and Alex Marshak I believe is the applications manager, so she'd be good too (responds to emails quickly). Thea Volpe and Toby Hudson are helpful too. I know this because I made a mistake on my app, and they cleared it up, no problem. I got in, May 20th.

So since people are asking and stuff:

GPA Undergrad: 3.73
MCAT (August 2013): 31

My understanding from what they told me is that they don't look at ECs and LOR now, but when you match, they go over it to find the matches for you. I sent one anyways, just for completions.

I wish you nothing but the best!

Last edited:
Sorry did you say you took your MCAT in August 2012? Not 2013?

Agreed, he has created quite the bit of confusion for everyone. It's disconcerting if they do not accept MCATs, especially considering the flyer (though it's nice the GPA has gone down from 3.0).

Sorry there...I took it twice, and i got the scores mixed up in my head...i did take a 2012 one, but my idea is that my better score in 2013 was what they used. I edited the post since.

Agreed, he has created quite the bit of confusion for everyone. It's disconcerting if they do not accept MCATs, especially considering the flyer (though it's nice the GPA has gone down from 3.0).

What do you mean the gpa went down?

I am more inclined to trust a website that gives averages rather than a flyer. A flyer is there to encourage your to apply. There are US Medical Schools who say they will accept a 24 or higher.

A flyer tells you what they are willing to look at. Averages tell you what they are looking for. Just my opinion though.

http://www.mededpath.org/our_students.html

This link has averages posted, but idk how or if there is any conversion to Canadian scores.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here! I would really like to get accepted to UQ Ochsner, and I recently got an e-mail that my application was complete and received! Hope I get in, and best luck to all of you guys applying as well!

I have a question - does anyone know how strict they are about the MCAT? Last year, I didn't do too well because I had major test anxiety... and I got a 24, but an 8 in all sections. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The GPA cutoff is just that, just as the MCAT cutoff is. It doesn't mean you'll be accepted, but it means that without meeting it, you won't be considered. The 3.0 I believe is an average (I can't find where you all are getting that from, but it's in line with past reports of average GPAs, similar to MCAT ave being in the high 20s while the cutoff is 24).

I've said this a few times before in rebutting know-nothings claiming that anyone can get in with mere cutoff scores, but rolling admissions at UQ operate like anywhere else -- schools that use them still have approximate intake quotas and make estimates of number of expected applicants and their scores throughout the season, adjusting their acceptances based on availability of remaining spots at each 'batch' review. This explains why some people with a 24 MCAT have been accepted in past years, while others with same in the same year did not. The more (less) popular the program gets, the greater (fewer) the number of applicants who meet the cutoffs will ultimately be rejected.

To give you an example: For Australian students UQ advertise their minimum cutoff score on the Australian entrance exam (GAMSAT) as "at least 50". The actual cut off for Australian students last year was about 70 (so the top 1% ish of anyone sitting the entrance exam). It's just an absolute minimum they'd consider if there was no competition and it varies each year depending on who applies.

@pitman, I have a 2.7 and 26 mcat..applied right when the app opened...got put on hold due to old mcat score (2012)...do you think I could still get in? Planning to retake it in July but only because they might change the requirement for when we can take the MCAT (three years old might not be accepted).

The GPA cutoff is just that, just as the MCAT cutoff is. It doesn't mean you'll be accepted, but it means that without meeting it, you won't be considered. The 3.0 I believe is an average (I can't find where you all are getting that from, but it's in line with past reports of average GPAs, similar to MCAT ave being in the high 20s while the cutoff is 24).

I've said this a few times before in rebutting know-nothings claiming that anyone can get in with mere cutoff scores, but rolling admissions at UQ operate like anywhere else -- schools that use them still have approximate intake quotas and make estimates of number of expected applicants and their scores throughout the season, adjusting their acceptances based on availability of remaining spots at each 'batch' review. This explains why some people with a 24 MCAT have been accepted in past years, while others with same in the same year did not. The more (less) popular the program gets, the greater (fewer) the number of applicants who meet the cutoffs will ultimately be rejected.

Speak the truth! I posted a link in a previous post, but the average gpa is closer to 3.4

@pitman @BubblegumPop Thanks for your guys' replies! My GPA is a 3.81, and I have a lot of extracurricular activities (scribe supervisor, volunteered at the hospital since I was 17, a lot of research awards, local medical internships, honors, etc.), but I have major test anxiety. :( I really hope I can still get accepted to UQ-Ochsner because I like the program, and I have a lot of family members in Australia!

Has anyone heard of anyone getting rejected?

I have read somewhere around here that people have been rejected...I'll try to find it again for you. But if anyone can chime in on this question..that'd be great

3.0 Ugpa, and 3.8 graduate gpa in a masters of public health program looking to apply for 2016 since i have a year left in my MPH. My practice MCATs have not been that strong and I'm taking it soon. Does anyone know how the feel about retakes, if I were to do badly and have to retake my mcat will they only look at the later score? I also have very strong recs and extracurriculars and I've read here that they don't really take that into account which worries me....can someone tell me if thats true?

i have a lot of test anxiety and scored a 21 the first time, and 32 the second time, and have been accepted to the program so I'm pretty sure they only look at your latter score. best of luck!

wow a 32, did you try for US schools with a score like that?

I have read somewhere around here that people have been rejected...I'll try to find it again for you. But if anyone can chime in on this question..that'd be great

I don't think the school will not accept anyone willing to pay the tuition.

The MBBS program over-enrolled by about 100 or so students this year.

I don't think the school will not accept anyone willing to pay the tuition.

The MBBS program over-enrolled by about 100 or so students this year.
We went over this, qldking -- it's absurd to think UQ accepts anyone when the stats are made available, they did not over enrol by some manufactured number of yours but are generally on course for what's been planned (whether you agree with their direction or not), and you have demonstrated time and again that you know nothing about UQ policy, history, or VIPs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-and-other-oz-schools.1058121/#post-15016001

And your repetition of your discredited nonsense follows the predicted pattern...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-news-uq-ipswich-is-no-longer.1069148/#post-15198816

Last edited:
We went over this, qldking -- it's absurd to think UQ accepts anyone when the stats are made available, they did not over enrol by some manufactured number of yours but are generally on course for what's been planned (whether you agree with their direction or not), and you have demonstrated time and again that you know nothing about UQ policy, history, or VIPs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-and-other-oz-schools.1058121/#post-15016001

And your repetition of your discredited nonsense follows the predicted pattern...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-news-uq-ipswich-is-no-longer.1069148/#post-15198816

Pittman, get over yourself.

I have watched your posts the last while and you are a rude, obnoxious individual who continues to vehemently defend your Alma mater. Most with half a brain in Australia see that UQ is revenue chasing in its med school admissions, especially with internationals. Their recruitment is blatant exploitation and their continued recruitment of hundreds of internationals despite having no job prospects in Australia afterwards is difficult to justify for an institution that should be teaching ethical and professional behaviour.

Every time there is a whiff of someone saying something bad about UQ, you become a bully making personal attacks. Get over it. Whereas I don't know about this over enrolment issue qldking speaks of, it is fairly certain that the entry of internationals requires little in the way of stats given that you apply early enough. Conceding at least that obvious point would bring some form of credibility to your statements. Otherwise, you come off as nothing less than a blind stoic defender of one's Alma mater. No better than people that vote along party lines without looking at the facts behind the arguments.

Irrespective, to those looking for entry into med school in Australia this year - I know what it feels like to be in your position. I was there 4 years ago when I had to make the difficult decision on whether to take on this incredible debt in the light of possibly not getting a job afterwards. I chose my school carefully weighing these job prospects against multiple factors such as tuition, living expenses, in state interstate chances, etc.. What you need to keep in mind is that when aussie universities recruit you as internationals, it is not for anything more than profit so approach it in the same way you would purchase a very expensive car or a moderately priced home. Objectively.

Currently, the job prospects continue to worsen. This is especially so since a new budget has been proposed cutting down on numerous GP internship rotations invariably reducing internship positions. South Australia just lost 23 spots. That is a very big number.

Without the internship you cannot practice as a doctor in Australia and internships are assigned to local Aussies and kiwis first. It is looking highly unlikely there will be jobs available once you graduate. Thus, you'd better have a very solid backup. Do keep in mind that, with every aussie international student leaving rather than staying in 4 years, on top of the large rise in student numbers, competition to get back to the USA or Canada is getting high and unpredictable. I would think long and hard before coming to Australia until something is done about jobs post graduation but that's just me and of course it's up to you where you go from here.