Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone with a 24 or 25 mcat accepted?
Someone posted earlier getting accepted with a 25, I believe. Just browse through and you should be able to find it.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that applications opened in late March.

Applications opened the first Monday of March, although you could submit transcripts and scores prior to that. The first acceptance posted here was on May 20.

Applications opened the first Monday of March, although you could submit transcripts and scores prior to that. The first acceptance posted here was on May 20.
Hey Xenophon, have you heard anything yet? I was waiting for an old MCAT, but now I'm just waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
This Monday? Or last? I think I'm the only person they haven't accepted...

Anyone else with an old MCAT still waiting?

Hang in there @derpina! I don't know your stats but I hope you get in!! Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I got in. Took it in Jan 2012. Good luck to all those waiting...I have a feeling UQ does acceptances in small batches.
Are you going to go? I know you've been waiting for a long time. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you going to go? I know you've been waiting for a long time. Congrats!

Thanks!!! Yes I'm definitely going. :-D all the waiting has paid off. Good luck to those still in the game.

I applied pretty late to this program, but I'm also waiting and getting kind of anxious. My stats are on par with most of the others accepted though. Anyone know how many have been accepted? Wondering how many spots are still available.

I applied pretty late to this program, but I'm also waiting and getting kind of anxious. My stats are on par with most of the others accepted though. Anyone know how many have been accepted? Wondering how many spots are still available.
Less than 50% of the seats have been filled, though that doesn't mean there's been less than 50% of acceptances.

I don't know how many have been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
really only 50% seats filled this late? wow, I figured more

really only 50% seats filled this late? wow, I figured more

I think people may be trying to get things in order to accept. I know I'm in that boat. I'm just waiting on funds to transfer to my bank account so I can make the deposits.

Well, I hope there's at least one spot. I want to be there with you guys.

So awesome to be part of a supportive community...is nice to know that I'll have such people in my med school class :)

I was just wondering what kind of questions they ask in the MMI interview. For international students, do they directly ask what is your reason for wanting to study medicine in Australia?? thank you!

I don't think there are any interviews for UQ medical school either.

I was just wondering what kind of questions they ask in the MMI interview. For international students, do they directly ask what is your reason for wanting to study medicine in Australia?? thank you!

When's your interview and what school?

For internationals there is a interview. Check out pagingdr maybe they have more info.

Wow. Seems to be a couple of miscers on this thread. Maybe even the famous Derp1na.

Wow. Seems to be a couple of miscers on this thread. Maybe even the famous Derp1na.

Had to google that word. So they're from bodybuilding.com or just trolling? Seemed like they want to get into the school and are genuine. But what do I know...this is the internet.

Internationals applying for the four year program in australia do have interviews/ consultative meetings, it's on Google and oztrekks website. @aficianado is correct in what they wrote.

UQ ochsner program applicants for next year will most likely have to be interviewed. Check out the approval document from California medical board posted by nygbrus previously. Or search through mbcs website. Currently there are no interviews for applicants to the uq ochsner program.

Also not sure what the domestic applicants have to do. I haven't delved that far enough into admissions information for locals.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, the paranoia is getting the better of me, and I need to know: can anyone who was accepted recently share the first letter of their last name? If you're not comfortable, a PM would be nice. I'm wondering if they are going in alphabetical order, or if something is wrong with my app.

Hi Everyone, the paranoia is getting the better of me, and I need to know: can anyone who was accepted recently share the first letter of their last name? If you're not comfortable, a PM would be nice. I'm wondering if they are going in alphabetical order, or if something is wrong with my app.

Hey @derpina, sorry that sucks you haven't heard back yet. Mededpath hasn't told you anything? Maybe try calling UQ directly. That helped me get more answers. Last name starts with D. I believe that they organize apps by order that you submit then by scores? I'm not sure. Mededpath knows how they order it.

I was wondering... what are the advantages going to UQ Ochsner instead of a Carribean school like St. Georges (which has been around longer... the stats are pretty similar... for St. Georges, the average MCAT is 27/28 and cGPA and sGPA is a 3.4. Does anyone (those who are accepted) want to chime in? I'm from NY and St. Georges seems like a pretty decent program (2 years in Grenada and 2 years in the United States-there are many hospitals in NYC). This will help me decide between St. Georges and UQ Ochsner. Also, DO schools are out for me because I want to serve with Doctors without Borders and apparently if you are a DO, you can't participate. Thanks in advance guys!

I was wondering... what are the advantages going to UQ Ochsner instead of a Carribean school like St. Georges (which has been around longer... the stats are pretty similar... for St. Georges, the average MCAT is 27/28 and cGPA and sGPA is a 3.4. Does anyone (those who are accepted) want to chime in? I'm from NY and St. Georges seems like a pretty decent program (2 years in Grenada and 2 years in the United States-there are many hospitals in NYC). This will help me decide between St. Georges and UQ Ochsner. Also, DO schools are out for me because I want to serve with Doctors without Borders and apparently if you are a DO, you can't participate. Thanks in advance guys!
You can participate in doctors without borders with a DO, but there are some countries you need "supervision" in, where you are a doctor, but an MD has to be present for you to do doctor stuff. But for the most part, you can do that program with a DO.

I was accepted, the email was in my junk mail for two weeks (I swore I checked twice, but whatever!). I found out by calling.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats @derpina! Better add all med school emails to your contacts! Haha!

@nina.10.1992, I wonder with the new residency melting of DO and MD, will they still put restrictions on DOs internationally?

I chose UQ-Ochsner over SGU because it is newer and seemingly has a better/cleaner reputation. The partnership with Ochsner clinic, which is a non-profit btw, is a true partnership. It is considered a part of the school and integrates fully. Not that I'm discounting that UQ obviously benefits from partnering with a huge institution like Ochsner, but Ochsner also benefits as well. UQ also has a huge research component and foundation. They are known for making Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. They are a research giant. This is one of the reason Ochsner was eager to partner with them, Ochsner wants to increase their research muscle. Just look up the amount of money is dedicated to research at UQ, your eyeballs will pop out. Also, Australia seems like a much better place to live than the Caribbean, I don't want to live in a dingy place. Call me spoiled.

In terms of respect, Australia's reputation for medical schools seems to better as well. In fact, a former UQ med alumni, the respected Dr. Sam Hawgood recently was elected chancellor of UCSF. He was the dean of UCSF medical school as well. So you can see how respected he is. With a grain of salt though, he was admitted as a domestic student where the competition is cutthroat amongst Australians and obtained honors in his medical degree. So sometimes the individual is exceptional.

Since my acceptance, the doctor friends I have told about Australia have been very enthusiastic and excited for me. Peoples eyes light up at the mention of Australia. Lol. It is an exciting opportunity to see the world and learn medicine. Don't let people fool you by saying this is an opportunity to learn global medicine, I don't believe that looking at the curriculum. This program is specifically for US citizens who want to practice in the USA. Granted, UQ's curriculum is australian based but studying there doesn't suddenly make you a global medical student. Anybody feel free to chime in and counter me on that, it is just my personal impression. We aren't like the domestic students where they can rotate anywhere in the world. It'd be a different story if that was allowed. We aren't like Cornell Qatar or the Israeli schools.

Now, SGU. The relationships SGU has with hospitals are based on financial contracts. Those spots people rotate at are BOUGHT out. SGU is clearly for profit but they still make good doctors and have the best reputation out of the caribs. There are a lot of protests at hospitals in NY because of the amount of carib students vs domestic students the hospitals are taking. Just do a quick google on it. This is one of the reasons carib schools reputations are in the negative. SGU's education is clearly good with the high USMLE scores and good match rates. In one single way they beat UQ-Ochsner, is that their match rates are based on a very large sample size consistently over many years. Check out their residency matches. But you can't always chose where you want to rotate at in the third and fourth year. I recently learned this as I was under the impression that I could choose where to rotate if I went to SGU. Apparently it is not guaranteed. See the forums on it. Uq-Ocshner will be more reliable with more data in the next coming years so it won't be for long that SGU has better sample sizes. Also, the caribs curriculum is way more based on the USA curriculum. You wouldn't have to do supplementary studying and self-directed learning of the USMLE like you would at UQ. They cover subjects more thoroughly like microbiology and biochemistry, whereas UQ doesn't give a flying crap. Correct me carib students if I'm wrong.

TL;DR : If you don't want to read my huge paragraphs, here's a nice summary haha. As I think of more I'll add to it.

Pros for UQ-Ochsner
-Exciting new program
-Good reputation
-UQ is a research giant
-Ochsner has a great reputation as well
-Investment of Ochsner in giving residencies to those qualified (come on, they will know you for two years, of course they'll pick you if they like you over strangers)
-Ochsner has great residency programs
-Ochsner rotations!!! Duh.
-Ochsner is non-profit
-I love Ochsner. (haha)
-Australia is beautiful and exciting
-Travel opportunities (New Zealand, Tasmania etc.)
-Australia, an awesome place to live
-UQ has a beautiful campus

Cons for UQ-Ochsner
-Newer program doesn't necessarily mean better
-VERY small sample size for residencies obtained (First graduating class had 9-10 people), so hard to predict your own success
-Still is a foreign school
-Australia is freaking expensive
-Curriculum is Australian-based (certain subjects on USMLE aren't covered in depth, like microbio)
-Self-directed studying for USMLE (tutors aren't enough in my opinion, the curriculum needs to cater more to us)
-young program in the US (but old in Oz)
-Spiders, bugs in Oz
-Tuition is expensive and rising

Pros for SGU
-curriculum is USA based
-heavy preparation for USMLE
-huge sample size and success rate for the match
-been around for years (but not as much as UQ domestic)
-Caribbean beaches
-Cheaper living costs

Cons for SGU
-Caribbean reputation is terrible
-Caribbean is crap place to live
-Caribbean reputation is terrible (yeah this matters to me personally)
-Can't choose what hospitals you want to rotate at
-Spiders, bugs in Carib
-Where the hell is the opportunity to do research...

In the end, it is all about what is personally important to you. For me it is about adventure, reputation and quality of life. I see myself in UQ-Ochsner. SGU and other carib schools still make great doctors and have the data to prove it. But I'd still pick UQ-Ochsner because it is new and seems to have the potential of becoming something really great. The main contention is that UQ has a true partnership with Ochsner. This school is making a new exciting model for medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats @derpina! Better add all med school emails to your contacts! Haha!

@nina.10.1992, I wonder with the new residency melting of DO and MD, will they still put restrictions on DOs internationally?

I chose UQ-Ochsner over SGU because it is newer and seemingly has a better/cleaner reputation. The partnership with Ochsner clinic, which is a non-profit btw, is a true partnership. It is considered a part of the school and integrates fully. Not that I'm discounting that UQ obviously benefits from partnering with a huge institution like Ochsner, but Ochsner also benefits as well. UQ also has a huge research component and foundation. They are known for making Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. They are a research giant. This is one of the reason Ochsner was eager to partner with them, Ochsner wants to increase their research muscle. Just look up the amount of money is dedicated to research at UQ, your eyeballs will pop out. Also, Australia seems like a much better place to live than the Caribbean, I don't want to live in a dingy place. Call me spoiled.

In terms of respect, Australia's reputation for medical schools seems to better as well. In fact, a former UQ med alumni, the respected Dr. Sam Hawgood recently was elected chancellor of UCSF. He was the dean of UCSF medical school as well. So you can see how respected he is. With a grain of salt though, he was admitted as a domestic student where the competition is cutthroat amongst Australians and obtained honors in his medical degree. So sometimes the individual is exceptional.

Since my acceptance, the doctor friends I have told about Australia have been very enthusiastic and excited for me. Peoples eyes light up at the mention of Australia. Lol. It is an exciting opportunity to see the world and learn medicine. Don't let people fool you by saying this is an opportunity to learn global medicine, I don't believe that looking at the curriculum. This program is specifically for US citizens who want to practice in the USA. Granted, UQ's curriculum is australian based but studying there doesn't suddenly make you a global medical student. Anybody feel free to chime in and counter me on that, it is just my personal impression. We aren't like the domestic students where they can rotate anywhere in the world. It'd be a different story if that was allowed. We aren't like Cornell Qatar or the Israeli schools.

Now, SGU. The relationships SGU has with hospitals are based on financial contracts. Those spots people rotate at are BOUGHT out. SGU is clearly for profit but they still make good doctors and have the best reputation out of the caribs. There are a lot of protests at hospitals in NY because of the amount of carib students vs domestic students the hospitals are taking. Just do a quick google on it. This is one of the reasons carib schools reputations are in the negative. SGU's education is clearly good with the high USMLE scores and good match rates. In one single way they beat UQ-Ochsner, is that their match rates are based on a very large sample size consistently over many years. Check out their residency matches. But you can't always chose where you want to rotate at in the third and fourth year. I recently learned this as I was under the impression that I could choose where to rotate if I went to SGU. Apparently it is not guaranteed. See the forums on it. Uq-Ocshner will be more reliable with more data in the next coming years so it won't be for long that SGU has better sample sizes. Also, the caribs curriculum is way more based on the USA curriculum. You wouldn't have to do supplementary studying and self-directed learning of the USMLE like you would at UQ. They cover subjects more thoroughly like microbiology and biochemistry, whereas UQ doesn't give a flying crap. Correct me carib students if I'm wrong.

TL;DR : If you don't want to read my huge paragraphs, here's a nice summary haha. As I think of more I'll add to it.

Pros for UQ-Ochsner
-Exciting new program
-Good reputation
-UQ is a research giant
-Ochsner has a great reputation as well
-Investment of Ochsner in giving residencies to those qualified (come on, they will know you for two years, of course they'll pick you if they like you over strangers)
-Ochsner has great residency programs
-Ochsner rotations!!! Duh.
-Ochsner is non-profit
-I love Ochsner. (haha)
-Australia is beautiful and exciting
-Travel opportunities (New Zealand, Tasmania etc.)
-Australia, an awesome place to live
-UQ has a beautiful campus

Cons for UQ-Ochsner
-Newer program doesn't necessarily mean better
-VERY small sample size for residencies obtained (First graduating class had 9-10 people), so hard to predict your own success
-Australia is freaking expensive
-Curriculum is Australian-based (certain subjects on USMLE aren't covered in depth, like microbio)
-Self-directed studying for USMLE (tutors aren't enough in my opinion, the curriculum needs to cater more to us)
-young program in the US (but old in Oz)
-Spiders, bugs in Oz
-Tuition is expensive and rising

Pros for SGU
-curriculum is USA based
-heavy preparation for USMLE
-huge sample size and success rate for the match
-been around for years (but not as much as UQ domestic)
-Caribbean beaches
-Cheaper living costs

Cons for SGU
-Caribbean reputation is terrible
-Caribbean is crap place to live
-Caribbean reputation is terrible (yeah this matters to me personally)
-Can't choose what hospitals you want to rotate at
-Spiders, bugs in Carib
-Where the hell is the opportunity to do research...

In the end, it is all about what is personally important to you. For me it is about adventure, reputation and quality of life. I see myself in UQ-Ochsner. SGU and other carib schools still make great doctors and have the data to prove it. But I'd still pick UQ-Ochsner because it is new and seems to have the potential of becoming something really great. The main contention is that UQ has a true partnership with Ochsner. This school is making a new exciting model for medicine.
Dang, that you so much for a lengthy input. I really appreciate that you took time to give me your two cents. :) you will make a terrific doctor @foody. I can already see it. Thanks :)

Since this is technically about UQ-O, Sydney, and Melb. I'd like to leave a note that I have been accepted to USyd today.

Now if only this Direct Loans thing would clear up...:p

You can participate in doctors without borders with a DO, but there are some countries you need "supervision" in, where you are a doctor, but an MD has to be present for you to do doctor stuff. But for the most part, you can do that program with a DO.

I was accepted, the email was in my junk mail for two weeks (I swore I checked twice, but whatever!). I found out by calling.
Congrats!! MedEdPath is quite helpful.

Glad you got in. I'm applying early for January 2016. Good luck!

Does anyone know how full the UQ-O class entering 2015 is now? I've been learning about the program quite a bit and even have a telephone appointment with MedEdPath soon. I'm applying for 2016.

Does anyone know how full the UQ-O class entering 2015 is now? I've been learning about the program quite a bit and even have a telephone appointment with MedEdPath soon. I'm applying for 2016.
It's still not very full, but I was told it won't be that way in Oct for sure, maybe mid-sept. There'll still be spots in Sept, but late Oct, it is "possible" (they didn't say likely) that acceptances will be given out as people start getting acceptances or going to other schools.

If you are applying for 2016, why are you asking about 2015? If you want to apply this cycle, you should. It costs no money, and the chances are pretty much guaranteed if you meet the MCAT and GPA requirements.

In the long run, many things being discussed on this board don't really matter. I attended Flinders in the late 1990s, transferred back to Emory for year 3 (my Ivies undergrad and USMLE 1 helped). Did my residencies in Neurology and Psychiatry, worked for a couple of years and now I own medical clinics and don't do clinicals anymore. I could do this without going to med school.

Today, in the next couple of minutes, I will have to send to a payroll company my payroll for this cycle, which is $235,000 including taxes for 4 offices in Northern Virginia. I employ 7 neurologists and pain specialists, along with 25 supporting staff people. And that doesn't count several part-timers and cleaning folks that I pay to their agencies. And the rent of $8,000 x 5, among which are the neurology services, pain management, sleep lab, rehab center, high complexity toxicology lab.

There are of course tons of other spending on computer and network upgrade, bank and credit card fees, heat pumps and office machine replacement, etc. If I take in less than $10M a year, I'd lose money.

Medicare is paying 2% less than last year and 2% higher than next. Other insurance companies follow the same pattern. Medicine is the only profession that people earn LESS AND LESS every year. All of my locations don't yield much profits except for the urine lab which is federally mandated that Medicare and insurance companies must pay good reimbursement for toxicological testing of patients on high dosage of controlled substances.

My specialists are getting paid $350,000 - $400,000 a year. Let's be honest: most specialists will be millionaires some 10 years post-residency. I became one 5 yrs after my last residency, after paying off my $300,000 Ivies and med school loans. Fresh out, I made $250,000 and that was just average. In Florida and California, specialists make even more. We may earn less but we can branch out to do a lot of other things. One of my neurologists owns a.... carpet installation company. A pain specialist goes into real estate. Their medical title helps a lot in their business, because their clients trust them almost completely.

When applying to med school, unless you're very qualified (and would never read this board) you should concentrate on where you can most likely graduate AND pass the USMLEs. Tuition doesn't matter as long as you could afford. Reputation doesn't matter. Teaching doesn't matter as long as it helps you pass the board. You can and should and must learn on your own. Work on your people's skills. I would rather hire one from a school nobody ever heard of but he/she can do the job while interacting well with patients and staff, than one from Harvard but is toxic and arrogant. All of my patients don't ask where my staff graduated from. They have a hard time already trying to make an appointment, which now usually takes 50 days for initial consultation.

I wish you all good luck. I think the most relevant question you should ask your interviewer is their school rate of passing the USMLE. Schools like U of Sydney could be the best in the universe but if its students fail USMLE by more than 25% of the time then it doesn't help YOU if you're an American without the intention to stay in Aussie. There are quite a few people on this board who get stuck (or stranded to be exact) in Australia because they could never pass the USMLEs to crawl back here. Well, if they love and immerse well with the Aussies, then it's alright and great. But some never feel at home there, and that's a problem.

Good luck to you all.

It's still not very full, but I was told it won't be that way in Oct for sure, maybe mid-sept. There'll still be spots in Sept, but late Oct, it is "possible" (they didn't say likely) that acceptances will be given out as people start getting acceptances or going to other schools.

If you are applying for 2016, why are you asking about 2015? If you want to apply this cycle, you should. It costs no money, and the chances are pretty much guaranteed if you meet the MCAT and GPA requirements.

Personal circumstances prevent me from starting January 2015. I wish I could apply this cycle but oh well.
I just wanted to know about how competitive is this cycle. Thanks. Good luck!!!

@nina.10.1992 That is very kind of you to say to a stranger. :) I hope my analysis helped. I always have believed in the spread of information and truth. Thank you.

@USMedStudent Well that was quite a long history. Interesting nevertheless. Seeing some of your old posts from ten years back, you seem to have changed your opinions for the better. It is curious that you choose not to practice anymore and curiouser as I'm not sure if you're complaining or just pondering about salary changes in medicine. Most of this thread is about the UQ-Ochsner program which is new and has USMLE pass rates right on their website.

You are correct, reputation doesn't matter. The quality of education does. Sometimes the two go hand and hand though. Like you said, it is all up to the individual to do well. I think my last post took a lot out of me and with that I bid adieu to this forum and SDN. I don't feel like contributing anymore. My goal on being here was getting into the program and learning more about it. I feel like that purpose is complete now. Good luck to all those applying now and in the future. Meet the minimums, apply early and you'll get in.

Those who choose to join UQ-Ochsner in 2015, I'll meet you in class. ;-)

@nina.10.1992 That is very kind of you to say to a stranger. :) I hope my analysis helped. I always have believed in the spread of information and truth. Thank you.

@USMedStudent Well that was quite a long history. Interesting nevertheless. Seeing some of your old posts from ten years back, you seem to have changed your opinions for the better. It is curious that you choose not to practice anymore and curiouser as I'm not sure if you're complaining or just pondering about salary changes in medicine. Most of this thread is about the UQ-Ochsner program which is new and has USMLE pass rates right on their website.

You are correct, reputation doesn't matter. The quality of education does. Sometimes the two go hand and hand though. Like you said, it is all up to the individual to do well. I think my last post took a lot out of me and with that I bid adieu to this forum and SDN. I don't feel like contributing anymore. My goal on being here was getting into the program and learning more about it. I feel like that purpose is complete now. Good luck to all those applying now and in the future. Meet the minimums, apply early and you'll get in.

Those who choose to join UQ-Ochsner in 2015, I'll meet you in class. ;-)

Peace... Hope you come back though. Makes me feel bad that i can't kick the SDN habit... haha

In the long run, many things being discussed on this board don't really matter. I attended Flinders in the late 1990s, transferred back to Emory for year 3 (my Ivies undergrad and USMLE 1 helped). Did my residencies in Neurology and Psychiatry, worked for a couple of years and now I own medical clinics and don't do clinicals anymore. I could do this without going to med school.

Today, in the next couple of minutes, I will have to send to a payroll company my payroll for this cycle, which is $235,000 including taxes for 4 offices in Northern Virginia. I employ 7 neurologists and pain specialists, along with 25 supporting staff people. And that doesn't count several part-timers and cleaning folks that I pay to their agencies. And the rent of $8,000 x 5, among which are the neurology services, pain management, sleep lab, rehab center, high complexity toxicology lab.

There are of course tons of other spending on computer and network upgrade, bank and credit card fees, heat pumps and office machine replacement, etc. If I take in less than $10M a year, I'd lose money.

Medicare is paying 2% less than last year and 2% higher than next. Other insurance companies follow the same pattern. Medicine is the only profession that people earn LESS AND LESS every year. All of my locations don't yield much profits except for the urine lab which is federally mandated that Medicare and insurance companies must pay good reimbursement for toxicological testing of patients on high dosage of controlled substances.

My specialists are getting paid $350,000 - $400,000 a year. Let's be honest: most specialists will be millionaires some 10 years post-residency. I became one 5 yrs after my last residency, after paying off my $300,000 Ivies and med school loans. Fresh out, I made $250,000 and that was just average. In Florida and California, specialists make even more. We may earn less but we can branch out to do a lot of other things. One of my neurologists owns a.... carpet installation company. A pain specialist goes into real estate. Their medical title helps a lot in their business, because their clients trust them almost completely.

When applying to med school, unless you're very qualified (and would never read this board) you should concentrate on where you can most likely graduate AND pass the USMLEs. Tuition doesn't matter as long as you could afford. Reputation doesn't matter. Teaching doesn't matter as long as it helps you pass the board. You can and should and must learn on your own. Work on your people's skills. I would rather hire one from a school nobody ever heard of but he/she can do the job while interacting well with patients and staff, than one from Harvard but is toxic and arrogant. All of my patients don't ask where my staff graduated from. They have a hard time already trying to make an appointment, which now usually takes 50 days for initial consultation.

I wish you all good luck. I think the most relevant question you should ask your interviewer is their school rate of passing the USMLE. Schools like U of Sydney could be the best in the universe but if its students fail USMLE by more than 25% of the time then it doesn't help YOU if you're an American without the intention to stay in Aussie. There are quite a few people on this board who get stuck (or stranded to be exact) in Australia because they could never pass the USMLEs to crawl back here. Well, if they love and immerse well with the Aussies, then it's alright and great. But some never feel at home there, and that's a problem.

Good luck to you all.

This is exactly it. I've been saying this all along and then they brandish you a 'troll.' These people just shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars to universities who are de-frauding them and then you end up making less than a real estate after putting up with nonstop abuse and insults for years in the medical profession.

This is exactly it. I've been saying this all along and then they brandish you a 'troll.' These people just shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars to universities who are de-frauding them and then you end up making less than a real estate after putting up with nonstop abuse and insults for years in the medical profession.

This guy never gives up.

@derpina
Mind if I ask where you got this info?

I'm thinking of applying for 2016 because I am retaking the MCAT in early September and thought I was too late to apply for 2015. However if there is the possibility that positions are still open in October, then I might still apply for 2015. What do you think?

@derpina

I'm thinking of applying for 2016 because I am retaking the MCAT in early September and thought I was too late to apply for 2015. However if there is the possibility that positions are still open in October, then I might still apply for 2015. What do you think?
From MedEdPath. Just give them a call and run your situation by them. They will be very honest (especially Dr. Volpe). They are very friendly and patient. They remember who you are, and they love talking with you.

Honestly, their admissions process and people are better than the jaded, US ones.

Just got my acceptance yesterday. I am working to get my deposit and insurance taken care of to accept the offer. So, I would be glad to meet/talk to some of you guys that have been accepted and plan on going in Feb '15.
-Does anyone know where they are going to live once they move there? I might need a roomie.
-Anyone who is going can feel free to PM me.

@derpina

Are you in Australia already?

So I heard about this program super late in the application cycle and wish I'd heard about it two years ago when I first started applying to med school. I don't normally post neurotic stuff like this, but I'm really excited about the program and would do it in a heartbeat if accepted (probably over a US medical school).

If my application gets done by sometime next week, hoping my last transcript gets in by then, what do you think about chances? Or should I call MedEdPath regarding it? Reason I ask is because it looks like a lot of you had prior knowledge about the program and were planning months if not years in advance, wondering if I should call the office and talk to them about my interest... Stats are 3.3 undergrad GPA (really bad last semester because of personal issues), 31 MCAT (11V/10/10), 3.9 special masters program GPA.

Have you tried applying to US schools yet? With a 31 MCAT and 3.9 GPA in the special masters program, your chances of getting in somewhere are fairly decent. If you hope to practice in the US, that is certainly a far safer option than coming to Australia where your chances of returning to the US after graduation are far from guaranteed. Your chances of getting into a competitive specialty as an IMG are also extremely limited and even if you are able to return to the US you will most likely be relegated to one of the primary care specialties. That having been said, your stats would pretty much guarantee admission it the UQ med program, but unless you've already been trying for a couple cycles of US med school applications with no success, I would think long and hard about whether it is worth the career limitations and additional risk to come here over trying for a domestic program first.

Thanks for the reply. This is my third consecutive cycle applying for med school. A few days after I wrote the above I got an interview invite from the school I did the SMP at but that doesn't guarantee I'll get in (plus it's all the way in November). I'm kind of tired of the rejection and know I can do well enough to land some residency even as an IMG. I'm not so picky with the specialty but it looks like from UQ's match lists so far that a couple of students have gotten some nice residency spots including gen surg and ortho so not totally impossible. Again a non issue because I'll probably be happy in any practice setting. Just keeping my options open, really have to get on with life at this point.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the reply. This is my third consecutive cycle applying for med school. A few days after I wrote the above I got an interview invite from the school I did the SMP at but that doesn't guarantee I'll get in (plus it's all the way in November). I'm kind of tired of the rejection and know I can do well enough to land some residency even as an IMG. I'm not so picky with the specialty but it looks like from UQ's match lists so far that a couple of students have gotten some nice residency spots including gen surg and ortho so not totally impossible. Again a non issue because I'll probably be happy in any practice setting. Just keeping my options open, really have to get on with life at this point.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Have you considered DO programs?