Anybody make money on the side while going through med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I taught Anatomy&Physiology at a comm college 2nd year. I Coached boxing off and on since the beginning, and still do as a 3rd(4th now?) year...

I'll continue to coach, and perhaps teach as a resident too...

Members don't see this ad.

Modeling is a good way to make extra money and doesn't take too much time out of my study schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I taught Anatomy&Physiology at a comm college 2nd year..

Do you have an advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Anatomy? This sounds really interesting.

Thinking of keeping my part-time gig at Best Buy for the discount. But the teaching idea is good, too. I taught A&P for 2 semesters at a university.

Is it possible to teach with just taking Anatomy during M1 or do you need a MS/PhD prior to entering med school to teach at a CC?

Is it possible to teach with just taking Anatomy during M1 or do you need a MS/PhD prior to entering med school to teach at a CC?
Most community colleges and technical schools require at least a Masters degree to teach, four-year colleges and universities a PhD (I tried to teach computer science courses adjunct last year but got shot down everywhere with only my Bachelors.)

Most community colleges and technical schools require at least a Masters degree to teach, four-year colleges and universities a PhD (I tried to teach computer science courses adjunct last year but got shot down everywhere with only my Bachelors.)

This is what I figured.

I've done a couple of auctions to pay for extra things that I don't want to spend loan money on (trips to see family, recreation). Clearly this is not an option for non-auctioneer med students. :p It's kind of nice to have a little interest-free cash.

well im not completely broke, i could probably pay my own rent for a good 4 months..but its money that can burn up quickly. i guess in the big picture making a couple hundred dollars a month is meaningless when i'll be 70k debt in the end regardless.
do people ever use loan money to play in the stock market? don't flame me for this unless you actually have experience with investing...i've spent my time learning how things work and gaining experience through simulators but have never really put any big bucks on the line.

anyways, i suppose the answer is no to my original question. thanks guys

70k is nothing. What are you worried about?

I'll be continuing to teach for Examkrackers during my first year... we'll see how it works out.

Someone who goes to AZCOM does this: www.affordableomttables.com/p/about-us.html

I don't know if they make much money off of it but it sounds pretty legit considering they have a company called "orange aspen llc".

I am that guy! We don't make much money, my wife is the one who runs it. We mainly sell the tables to help out other students. The main function of our business is selling completely unrelated items. The tables were just a side deal that started when I was looking for a table and got frustrated with the outrageous prices people were charging for "OMT" tables. It is enough to keep her busy and help us with some of our expenses, but not paying the tuition yet! Maybe if more people buy tables!;)

It is a great way to get good OMT/OMM tables for a reasonable price. We have a new website with more models for anyone that is looking for a table!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an OMS3 and have worked throughout my entire med school career. I am a per diem nurse case manager at a local hospital. It can be done...

I am an OMS3 and have worked throughout my entire med school career. I am a per diem nurse case manager at a local hospital. It can be done...
Correct, but you'll be utterly miserable if you're also shooting to pull off competitive grades and board scores. I'm sitting on a horrible GPA thanks to my jobs and my band. Boards are going to be interesting for sure...

I have several suggestions. First is selling plasma (yeah I know this sounds weird) but unlike whole blood plasma can be sold for about $40 dollars which takes about an hour or so and since your body replenishes this much quicker you can donate twice a week. I personally have never done this but I've heard people doing it and researched it somewhat. I didn't really find anything terrible about it (can possibly make $300+ a month extra for minimum commitment). Another thing is tutoring. I worked as a tutor before medical school getting paid $25-$35 an hour. This job requires no capital. You can advertise yourself online (Wyzant, Craigslist, etc.) and you are free to schedule it any way you want and work as little or as much as your study schedule permits you. I'm sure there are plenty of college (especially nursing students) who are searching for tutors in science classes (biology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc.) in your area. College courses are less intensive and much easier than their medical school counterparts so you don't really need to review before each tutoring session. Plus teaching it to someone helps you retain that knowledge.

I'm doing paid research and it is a very good option. You might get published too, as a nice side effect.

i plan on selling my semenal fluid on my (sketchy) website online.

Being a med student will "up" the value and demand of my semen as it shows I have brains.

Plus, it will increase my evolutionary success by increase the amount of offspring that make it to adulthood.

I used to work for a plasma center, just remember that you have to pay taxes on the money, unless you keep it under a certain amount. Otherwise, it's safe, and a decent source of extra money, and they like students, plus you can study while sitting in the loungy-chair...

I have several suggestions. First is selling plasma (yeah I know this sounds weird) but unlike whole blood plasma can be sold for about $40 dollars which takes about an hour or so and since your body replenishes this much quicker you can donate twice a week. I personally have never done this but I've heard people doing it and researched it somewhat. I didn't really find anything terrible about it (can possibly make $300+ a month extra for minimum commitment). Another thing is tutoring. I worked as a tutor before medical school getting paid $25-$35 an hour. This job requires no capital. You can advertise yourself online (Wyzant, Craigslist, etc.) and you are free to schedule it any way you want and work as little or as much as your study schedule permits you. I'm sure there are plenty of college (especially nursing students) who are searching for tutors in science classes (biology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc.) in your area. College courses are less intensive and much easier than their medical school counterparts so you don't really need to review before each tutoring session. Plus teaching it to someone helps you retain that knowledge.

I might continue to do a little photography. I don't charge anything less than $1500 for a wedding, which only occur in the summer.

I own a website hosting business that essentially runs itself. It requires maybe 2 hours of my time, to look over billing/financials, per month. I have no intentions of ceasing operations when I enter school as it's quite a bit of extra money on the side to live on for very little investment of my time.

Stocks

Key to being an overnight millionaire

Yes, I just finished MS2 and worked during both first and second year. Worked on two separate research projects throughout the first and second year, and was also a neuro tutor (~3-6 hours per week) working for the school (work study). So technically I guess I was holding three 'jobs' at a time, but I didn't work a lot of hours, and of course, professors understand students' schedules as long as you're reliable when you say you'll be there.

If you're wondering my grades were much better second year. I'd recommend tutoring highly as it reinforces what you're learning, just don't overdo it and make sure you have time for boards and all that stuff.

edit: I was thinking about teaching fitness classes (keep in mind i haven't done this yet, its just a thought I had). You could work a few classes a week, and you get your workout as well as make money. Why not, I go several times a week anyway and as a med student you've got ACLS and BLS training so that's already out of the way. Of course, you'd have to be good at whatever you're going to teach, I was thinking yoga or aerobics which I have been doing regularly for several years. There's a pretty big demand for zumba here but again, not sure how much they make.

Last edited:
I know a lot of other people have already said tutoring/teaching, but I think that's a good way to go. I'm a big fan of the princeton review--they really take care of their own. You work part time, classes are only once or twice a week, it's $25/hour, but you also get paid for traveling to and from class, compensated for any classroom supplies you buy, and you can even get health insurance (I didn't really look into it, but it's pretty cool that you can get health insurance even as a part-time employee). It's also a fun job, even though the money won't get you much more than groceries.

I've heard of some students dabbling in tutoring during med school. Your title as a med student carries a lot of weight in the eyes of college students and prep companies. MCAT tutoring especially can be very lucrative.

Taught a Physical Dx lab for PA students one night/wk fall semester M1 and will do it again this fall. Also work a few easy shifts in women's corrections as a PA, but do it more for keeping up my license and remembering why I am in med school. Pays less than my first PA job in 2000!!

Lol how much can you expect to make on the side working that many hours in most likely a job that isnt going to pay top dollar for part-time work.

It wont even be a drop in the ocean compared to the debt you end up coming out with, and those hours could have been put to better use.

Always have to weigh cost/benefit buddy.

Not when you were a dentist prior to med school:laugh:

Threads like this usually pop up when students see how much loans they are taking. Working during med school is like looking at trees and missing the forest. Unless you were an RN or something similar, most jobs will not pay more than $12. As for tutor jobs, you actually have to teach. Which means reading up beforehand, lesson plans, traveling to site, etc. That 10 hour tutoring gig easily becomes 20 hrs. Your time would be better spent getting into a better paying specialty. Lifelong increased income vs. small amount of cash on hand.

If you have a family and need money, apply for military.

I thought about working part-time as a paramedic, but the more I think about it, that's just stupid. Giving up a whole day of studying/sleeping for a little bit of cash is insignificant when I'm taking out $45,000 in loans each year.

I have to work to feed my child and myself. I can make really good money working less than 16 hrs per week and unfortunately, if I don't, I won't be going to medical school because I'm almost at my loan max and don't have a cosigner for a PLUS or private loan. I have no qualms about working and studying hard. Some people prefer to use their spare time in med school to volunteer and workout and hang out with friends. My time will be spent with my daughter and working when I can. I will say, if you aren't making at least $20/hr, it's not worth it.

I have to work to feed my child and myself. I can make really good money working less than 16 hrs per week and unfortunately, if I don't, I won't be going to medical school because I'm almost at my loan max and don't have a cosigner for a PLUS or private loan. I have no qualms about working and studying hard. Some people prefer to use their spare time in med school to volunteer and workout and hang out with friends. My time will be spent with my daughter and working when I can. I will say, if you aren't making at least $20/hr, it's not worth it.
If your sig line is true, I would absolutely work weekends as a CRNA.

Yes, it is true and that is my plan. That and every spring break, christmas, and summer I have free. Hopefully, keeping up with the current anesthesia trends will help me land a great residency.

there is a guy at my school who worked ~15 hrs a week as a pharmacist. he failed one class and he's busting his butt trying to remediate. not worth it in most cases.

there is a guy at my school who worked ~15 hrs a week as a pharmacist. he failed one class and he's busting his butt trying to remediate. not worth it in most cases.

Interesting. I know someone who mde mid 30s on their MCAT, didn't work at all, and still managed to fail two classes.
I think it's all about the individual and how determined they are. I worked full time through my CRNA program where my classmates didn't work at all. I didn't finish at the top, nor did I finish at the bottom. I had several job offers and ended up with a great position. Some of my classmates that made 4.0s couldn't graduate on time because they were socially and professionally inept. They also sucked clinically. Again, it is about the individual. If you work, it better damn be for some good money.

It's probably more common partially because DO schools have more non traditional students.

There is probably some truth to that. I did consulting during my first two years with the company for whom I worked before med school. My roommate was a firefighter/paramedic before he started and he worked odd shifts throughout. Not sure I would have worked for much less than I was making but it made my life a lot more comfortable living in downtown Philly and I didn't have to touch my 401k or IRA.

I actively trade options in the stock market to make side money. Still get the thrill of making a profitable trade

Can't imagine anyone teaches during school years. you need to prepare lectures, grade works..etc. i never taught but it is very time consuming.

some creative ones I heard are maintain websites(get some money out of that), stock, maybe a little bit small business on the side, personal training..etc non-stress jobs.

I have an MPH and I've been offered a position teaching A&P at a CC near my hospital. I haven't bit yet because I'm not convinced it's worth it (just started 3rd year), but I'm definitely entertaining the idea.

There was a guy in my class who bought a duplex/triplex building. Lived in one of the units and rented out the others. Kept the building after graduation for supplemental income.

I make various types of trees out of fine gauge wire and sell them. Sounds funny? I can sell 'em for $50-$xxx depending on how big they are. Make cool modern decor and don't take me super long, usually work on them while watching TV.

I do teach a Physical Diagnosis lab for PA students 3 hr/wk. It's doable because I have taught this course for about 5 yr (PA-C) and I don't need a lot of prep time. I do have to grade and critique writeups and help them hone skills but the only time it's really stressful is near final exams (unfortunately their finals week is the same as mine...)
I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it and the pay was any worse. It pays about $40/hr which is not much but more than nothing.
I also picked up a Saturday clinic job nearby. It's pleasant and not too busy and helps to remind me why I am doing this to myself (med school). Pay is a little better, but still less than I made in SC. (PA pay rates in Pennsylvania are ridiculously low.)

QUOTE=qwerty2012;12905376]Can't imagine anyone teaches during school years. you need to prepare lectures, grade works..etc. i never taught but it is very time consuming.

some creative ones I heard are maintain websites(get some money out of that), stock, maybe a little bit small business on the side, personal training..etc non-stress jobs.[/QUOTE]

For a legit answer - most schools won't let you work on the side. We were explicitly told we would have to speak to the dean if we had anything like that in mind. Most of us just go into a ton of debt and soldier on.

This. It wasn't a pure 'restriction' at my school, but we were told in no uncertain terms that if we failed classes and the school found out it was because we were trying to work on the side, there would be little sympathy from the administration and an increased chance of getting booted.

That said, some people did end up working on the side as EMTs etc but a number of these people had close calls academically (nearly failed classes, etc).

I'm thinking of bartending Friday and Sat. night from 10pm-2am weekly when I am in med school. I will get amazing tips to provide me with spending money. Is this doable? Anyone else do something similar?

A few of my friends worked at restaurants as waitresses/bartenders. This seems to be the easiest as the schedule is very flexible and mostly at night when you wouldn't otherwise have class. Plus its good money. Incidentally, we would all go visit them at the bar so it worked out for everyone!

Survivor DO

You don't need a cosigner for PLUS.

I pick up a shift as a medic every so often. Usually weekends, when it's not as busy. I use my free time to study, so I'm not losing out as much.

Plus my wife has a job, which works out great. :)

So if I can make 90/hr for non medically related job whats the consensus here regarding whether I should work or not during medical school?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile