Anybody got a long road of GPA repair ahead of them before they start applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungGregory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in a similar position like you in which my sGPA is 2.75 and my cGPA is a 3.2. However, I don't think it should take you 2-3 years to get your GPA up to where you want it to be. However, after taking your pre-reqs you can always do a Special Masters Program or you can just apply. I know DO schools take the time to look over every aspect of someone's GPA/MCAT score. So I honestly believe you should reach out to schools after you finish your pre-reqs and take the MCAT to see if taking additional classes are necessary. B/c frankly they may not be but then again that is a personal decision.

Currently I am in the process of taking a few classes at my state school ( upper level Bio courses) and then I hope to enroll in a medical post-bac program like Ohio MedPath, GEMS, Wake Forest, and etc to give me the opportunity to build my confidence in the sciences and to make me more competitive for medical school.

Everyone has a diff route to medical school, just continue to stay focused and it will all come together when the time is right.

Best wishes!

Count me in that too. Parent problems screwed me up last spring along with Gen Chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat horrible gpa, 2.0 with a lot of W's. The thing is I still have time until I graduate and plan on adding a double major in pre-health biology. That is going to add a year and a half to two years to my graduation time. But, that's how long it will take me to do a post-bacc/ grad program. So here is where I shut down all things except getting into med school.

same here. i am non traditional though and my degree is in finance. Per the advice of a pre-med advisor i am getting a second bachelors in biology to get my gpa higher (3.1 undergrad)

I was just reading the 2010 Matriculant Data for DO schools, and the mean score for AA's was a 3.26 GPA and 22 MCAT. I'm about to make a poster of this in my apartment so I'm reminded of what I'm working for every day when I wake up. Lol

I also noticed that only 153 AA's got into DO schools out of the 5,031 that got acceptance letters. 3 percent? That's lower than the school I'm attending now (4%)! Lol.

I was just reading the 2010 Matriculant Data for DO schools, and the mean score for AA's was a 3.26 GPA and 22 MCAT. I'm about to make a poster of this in my apartment so I'm reminded of what I'm working for every day when I wake up. Lol

I also noticed that only 153 AA's got into DO schools out of the 5,031 that got acceptance letters. 3 percent? That's lower than the school I'm attending now (4%)! Lol.

Please don't use this data as a end all be all. Just do the best that you can do. HBCU med schools skew the data.

Correct. But if the data is talking about both MD and DO then the hbcus would skew things.

I doubt there is data with both.

AMCAS- 3.4 & 26.6 MCAT
AACOMAS- ~3.2 & 23 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Btw I am applying this semester with a

AACOMAS GPA of 3.35 and 32 MCAT.

Last edited:
Took Science courses while undergraduate and did horrible. ended up with 2.39cGPA and low science
Starting taking pre-reqs over
Gen Bio 1 - A
Anatomy 1 - A
Calculus 1 - A
Microeconomics - A
Speech - B+
Spring 2011 Semester
Gen Bio 2 - A-
Anatomy 2 - A
Chemistry 1 - A
Summer 2011 Semester
Microbio - B+
General chemistry - B+
FALL 2011 Semester
Organic 1 - A
Physics 1 - A
Biochem 1 - W
Spring 2012 Semester
Organic 2 - A
Biochem 1 - B-

Any changes of getting in to pharmacy school??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I started out at a 2.32 in Jan of 2010. Now I have a 2.75 and I plan on applying in June 2012 with hopefully slightly higher than 3.0.

Hey everyone. I have a BS in bio with a 2.78 and an MS in cell bio with a 3.27 so a postbacc/SMP sounds good right? Im 31 :D

Last edited:
Final grades are for my last two classes of summer, and I'm up to a 2.87. I took Human Heredity (A-), and Medical Microbiology (A) in the first half (went from 2.72 to 2.80). Epidemiology (A), and a sociology class (A) in the second. These classes are optional for my major, but I thought they would be good to see how well I can do in science classes.

If I get at least a 3.8 next semester I can graduate with a 3.00!

Congrats, that is awesome! Keep it up!

I'm kind of in the same boat as most of you (low gpa, fair MCAT)but I was adviced to apply (really early of course) to DO school this year anyway bc of my ECs, clinical experience and research publications. But I'm also applying to SMPs and post bacc simultaneosuly so I can jump into classes next winter semester say I don't get accepted. But let's hope for the best.

Anyway, Does anyone know of any scholarships for AAs to do MCAT prep courses? I've looked but haven't founded any

I'm kind of in the same boat as most of you (low gpa, fair MCAT)but I was adviced to apply (really early of course) to DO school this year anyway bc of my ECs, clinical experience and research publications. But I'm also applying to SMPs and post bacc simultaneosuly so I can jump into classes next winter semester say I don't get accepted. But let's hope for the best.

Anyway, Does anyone know of any scholarships for AAs to do MCAT prep courses? I've looked but haven't founded any

Which did you apply for? In the Detroit area theres the BMS prog at Wayne(not REALLY an SMP but successful nonetheless) and U of M's

Which did you apply for? In the Detroit area theres the BMS prog at Wayne(not REALLY an SMP but successful nonetheless) and U of M's

I'm applying to both SMP and post bacc programs(in and out of state),so WSU's BMS, UofM physiology master, Oakland Univ has a biomedical certificate designed for medical school hopefuls, Virgina Tech (Edward via) has a great post bacc geared toward URM**, Midwestern BMS, Case Western's SMP (but my MCAT may not be high enough). I'm still looking for more, but hopefully that's enough.

Have you heard of any other good ones?

I'm applying to both SMP and post bacc programs(in and out of state),so WSU's BMS, UofM physiology master, Oakland Univ has a biomedical certificate designed for medical school hopefuls, Virgina Tech (Edward via) has a great post bacc geared toward URM**, Midwestern BMS, Case Western's SMP (but my MCAT may not be high enough). I'm still looking for more, but hopefully that's enough.

Have you heard of any other good ones?
OU REALLY!!??

Link please!! :D:D If you try case you might as well try Drexel. One of the best in the country from what I hear.

You know any more about the OU prog?

Not specially that program(I've tried calling multiple times) but I have talked to ppl that have gotten similar certificates such as that one. They usually matriculate to medical school if their gpa is above 3.6(for the grad certificate) and if the school has a Medical department. OU has that fairly new medical school and it's connected to Beaumont Hospital (you can make some good connection while you're there). So it's definitely worth a try if someone didn't get into a post bacc or SMP or medical school. There's no gpa requirement or MCAT,GMAT,GRE etc that I know of, application is FREE so it's my back-up, back-up plan lol

Not specially that program(I've tried calling multiple times) but I have talked to ppl that have gotten similar certificates such as that one. They usually matriculate to medical school if their gpa is above 3.6(for the grad certificate) and if the school has a Medical department. OU has that fairly new medical school and it's connected to Beaumont Hospital (you can make some good connection while you're there). So it's definitely worth a try if someone didn't get into a post bacc or SMP or medical school. There's no gpa requirement or MCAT,GMAT,GRE etc that I know of, application is FREE so it's my back-up, back-up plan lol

It seems to be about 1-2 years old it doesnt even show up on their 09 bulletin.

Wow 16 credits? The program at Wayne is 32-34 but they will let you take a minimum of 20 and release you from the prog if you matriculate somewhere.

It seems to be about 1-2 years old it doesnt even show up on their 09 bulletin.

Wow 16 credits? The program at Wayne is 32-34 but they will let you take a minimum of 20 and release you from the prog if you matriculate somewhere.
Yeah I know that's why I was really looking into the OU program. Its cheaper and shorter in terms of trying to get better credentials for medical school admission. but hopefully I'm admitted to DO school this year and I won't have to deal with all that:xf:

Yeah I know that's why I was really looking into the OU program. Its cheaper and shorter in terms of trying to get better credentials for medical school admission. but hopefully I'm admitted to DO school this year and I won't have to deal with all that:xf:

FOr me it's free! Ironically I have money problems to get past before I can start. So hopefully I can start soon!!:xf:

You know any more about the OU prog?

Sounds like an interesting program. The website is kind of sparse though. Lol. I filled out the "request information" questionnaire, hopefully I'll hear something back from them.

I need to have my medschool prereqs done before I start this program right?

Sounds like an interesting program. The website is kind of sparse though. Lol. I filled out the "request information" questionnaire, hopefully I'll hear something back from them.

I need to have my medschool prereqs done before I start this program right?

You know I'm not sure and you're right they are extremely sparse. I called and I do know you don't need any test scores like GRE, MCAT GMAT or anything like that. There are no gpa requirement but I didn't ask about the medschool prereq ... I wish they would elaborate more lol ... this program is my last choice after the others I listed so hopefully I won't have to deal with it.

Hey guys. I just got a letter in the mail from Oakland about the Biomedical sciences certificate.. It pretty much says the same thing on the website.. Submit an application, 2 letters of rec, and transcripts.. It's 16 hours of graduate level biology courses.

Hey guys. I just got a letter in the mail from Oakland about the Biomedical sciences certificate.. It pretty much says the same thing on the website.. Submit an application, 2 letters of rec, and transcripts.. It's 16 hours of graduate level biology courses.

Yeah I got the same thing in the mail, I completed my app for OU like 2 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure i'm going to WSU and do the 20 credits and applying after that. I was adviced to that even if I do get into DO school (by a DO go figure).

Yeah I got the same thing in the mail, I completed my app for OU like 2 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure i'm going to WSU and do the 20 credits and applying after that. I was adviced to that even if I do get into DO school (by a DO go figure).

So he told you not to go to a DO school even if you get accepted?

So he told you not to go to a DO school even if you get accepted?

yup and he's a really successful Internist that is a DO.. he said it's worth the year off to go MD bc my opinions with residencies will be better. I'm not 100% sure I could just decline a DO acceptance bc if you think about it I could just go DO for a year and then apply MD vs passing on an acceptance. But like I said I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet but I do know I probably will not go to OU.

The standard deviation for accepted black students into DO schools ranges from a 2.8 to about a 3.25, so if your GPA is somewhere in there, you have a chance.

The standard deviation for accepted black students into DO schools ranges from a 2.8 to about a 3.25, so if your GPA is somewhere in there, you have a chance.

Yep 2.8 to about 3.6, because standard deviation goes + or - the mean. Good luck to you.

Yup that's true, that's why I was advised so heavily to apply even though I graduated with a 3.3 gpa (they said all my ECs, volunteer work, and research plus an extremely difficult course trend should get me into DO school).

But even Wayne State told me I have a strong chance of being admitted if I completely 20 credits of graduate level sciences at 3.5 or better.

yup and he's a really successful Internist that is a DO.. he said it's worth the year off to go MD bc my opinions with residencies will be better. I'm not 100% sure I could just decline a DO acceptance bc if you think about it I could just go DO for a year and then apply MD vs passing on an acceptance. But like I said I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet but I do know I probably will not go to OU.

I see. Yeah, if I got an acceptance to a DO school I would be hard pressed to turn it down..

I've been reading that it's possible for DO's to get into MD residencies anyway..

I see. Yeah, if I got an acceptance to a DO school I would be hard pressed to turn it down..

I've been reading that it's possible for DO's to get into MD residencies anyway..

yeah you can but the matching is still an issue(for everyone both DO and MD)... I keep being told by DOs if you can get into a MD school do it! But I really want to start med school as soon as possible so I guess I'll wait to see how this application cycle goes. If I get a DO acceptance close to home I'll take it lol

Well I'm done repairing my gpa. I graduated back in 07 with a 2.7 gpa. Four years later, because I had to work to pay for school and the government doesn't give loans to people with BA degrees trying to repair their gpa, here I am finally applying to med school. I worked my hind side off and ended up with a 3.9 postbac gpa. My advice- dont look at how far you have to go. Take one step and a time. Take time to reflect on what went wrong during your undergrad years. Make sure this road is the one you want to take for the next decade or so. Believe in yourself and never give up. If you fall get back up. If you can't get back up then crawl. But never stop!

Yep 2.8 to about 3.6, because standard deviation goes + or - the mean. Good luck to you.

I have an MS and my UG gpa is 2.87. I am still more comfortable using this program to repair my gpa. Or is it a waste of time?

I have an MS and my UG gpa is 2.87. I am still more comfortable using this program to repair my gpa. Or is it a waste of time?

IMHO your best bet is to examine your Graduate GPA >3.5 go ahead and apply...if its below that find the aacomas gpa calculator and see how many credit hours of 4.0 would give you the gpa you would like.

IMHO your best bet is to examine your Graduate GPA >3.5 go ahead and apply...if its below that find the aacomas gpa calculator and see how many credit hours of 4.0 would give you the gpa you would like.

Grad GPA is 3.27. I am planning on the Wayne BMS prog.