Anybody else suffering from swinging scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'm just looking for someone to speak up and tell me if this is completely atypical:

My scores seem like they've been somewhat inconsistent. And by "somewhat" I mean "incredibly inconsistent".

My first, cold score was a 23. No studying. Straight outta the box.

I've been taking exams here and there, and the scores have climbed, as expected, to the high 20s. Then I got a 32 and thought, "Hell yeah! It's clicking!"

Today, I had anticipated breaking the 30-barrier again. Felt good, got done, got a 24.............yeah. 24. How.....how does that even happen?

Thought I'd pose a couple of questions to you fine folk:

1) Is this fluctuation typical? If not, then I need to seriously hunker down in the books.
2) I'm scheduled for the July 25th exam... is it too early to feel like I should bump that back?

Need some context. Okthanksbye.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose I'm just looking for someone to speak up and tell me if this is completely atypical:

My scores seem like they've been somewhat inconsistent. And by "somewhat" I mean "incredibly inconsistent".

I've been taking exams here and there, and the scores have climbed, as expected, to the high 20s. Then I got a 32 and thought, "Hell yeah! It's clicking!"

Today, I had anticipated breaking the 30-barrier again. Felt good, got done, got a 24.............yeah. 24. How.....how does that even happen?

1) Is this fluctuation typical? If not, then I need to seriously hunker down in the books.
2) I'm scheduled for the July 25th exam... is it too early to feel like I should bump that back?

Usually fluctuating practice scores is indicative of large gaps in your knowledge of content. Most people on here will tell you the best strategy to prep for a late July exam is to hold off on anymore practice tests, get your content down solid and then take your practices over the last 4-6 weeks.

I took the longer route since I'm a non-trad (I believe you are too?) and did my content review slowly, inconsistently, and lightly over the course of 6-8 months and then spent the final 3 months doing practice exams to find weak areas and hone the test taking skills. Either way, I'd suggest don't take anymore practices until you feel that you've a good handle on ALL the material to be tested.

good luck!
sisko

I am, indeed, non-traditional. And working full-time. The content review I did on my own for several months.... so I'm thinking about investing in the TBR series and just cranking through. Not sure, though.

I am, indeed, non-traditional. And working full-time. The content review I did on my own for several months.... so I'm thinking about investing in the TBR series and just cranking through. Not sure, though.

I thought it was worth it. You'll find people on here love it or hate it, or say how it's not representative of the real thing because it's too detailed oriented (bio I guess). Whatever it may be it's great practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether or not I love it or hate it, I obviously need the help. Thanks for your input!

By the way did you take TBR's full length exams? I was wondering if I should sneak in on some of those after my next content pull?

Last edited:
Whether or not I love it or hate it, I obviously need the help. Thanks for your input!

By the way did you take TBR's full length exams? I was wondering if I should sneak in on some of those after my next content pull?

Similar non-trad. Have been doing Sn2'ed schedule (but over 5-6 months rather than 3-4). Very heavy on the BR books. They are terrific for PS, and pretty good for orgo. Their bio definitely made my head swim. Only started doing practice tests after content review, but I've been pretty consistently mid 30's after using those books.

Similar non-trad. Have been doing Sn2'ed schedule (but over 5-6 months rather than 3-4). Very heavy on the BR books. They are terrific for PS, and pretty good for orgo. Their bio definitely made my head swim. Only started doing practice tests after content review, but I've been pretty consistently mid 30's after using those books.

Excellent! Thanks for the testimonial. I've got them shipping my way!

Yeah, my scores are still fluctuating quite a bit. It's got me scared with plenty of test anxiety and uncertainty... Strange thing is that my AAMC Self Assessment came back saying that I wasn't seriously lacking anywhere. I guess I don't believe it and am just reading TBR and hoping for the better. I'm trying to do a full length every week just to get familiar with it so it won't be unfamiliar. I will probably be doing guided meditation to try to reduce test anxiety. Wondering what else I can do...? Hopefully it will work out for both of us.

Edit: This is regarding non-AAMC practice tests. My AAMC practice tests were consistent but I'm out of them. Try AAMC practice tests if you haven't done so already.

Last edited:
I've done....3 AAMCs. And a handful of exams from a bunch of other companies. They all seem to be pretty flip-floppy.

I think the content notion is the problem. For me, anyway. I work 40 (+) hours per week, so my original content review was relatively lax. I just needed someone to say, "Hit the books again, woman!" So, here I go! 3.5 months out. :)

I've done....3 AAMCs. And a handful of exams from a bunch of other companies. They all seem to be pretty flip-floppy.

I think the content notion is the problem. For me, anyway. I work 40 (+) hours per week, so my original content review was relatively lax. I just needed someone to say, "Hit the books again, woman!" So, here I go! 3.5 months out. :)

sympathize completely. working ft certainly was an impediment to my mcat prep. we'll see how badly it hurt me in about 11 days!