Does anyone else find Jack Westin easier / less vague than AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegirl420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason, on JW passages I consistently get 0-1 wrong but this hasn't really been translating on the AAMC qpacks (1 & 2). Average on qpack1 is ~71% and qpack2 ~79%. Official Guide CARS was 25/30 (I hear this was too easy though?) Aiming for a 128 on CARS (129+ would be awesome but not banking on it). I haven't taken any FL's though so I don't know if they are different from the qpacks? To me, it feels like the AAMC questions make more logical leaps / are far less black and white and JW tends to be more direct. Does anyone else feel this way

Members don't see this ad.

I found JW passages good but problems bad. I would consistently get 1 or 2 wrong, but on Qpack 1&2 I got 75-80%. For reference, I got 128 on CARS.

You found JW more difficult?
I wouldn’t call it more difficult. I wasn’t just used to their style of logic and rationale and much preferred AAMC explanations. During my prep, I rarely gave 3rd party sources a serious thought and only used them to practice timing. Only thing that mattered was the AAMC QPack and FL.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t call it more difficult. I wasn’t just used to their style of logic and rationale and much preferred AAMC explanations. During my prep, I rarely gave 3rd party sources a serious thought and only used them to practice timing. Only thing that mattered was the AAMC QPack and FL.
Appreciate it. JW logic drives me nuts sometimes. Would you say JW logic is vastly different than AAMC?

Appreciate it. JW logic drives me nuts sometimes. Would you say JW logic is vastly different than AAMC?
Yeah, I wouldn’t even worry about understanding JW logic because it’s just so different from AAMC. They do have good passages though.

Reactions: 1 user
I also found them a little more difficult, but it a helpful way. I would recommend using them if you have them. No CARS resource is that great except for the AAMC materials, but JW can definitely be helpful.

Yes, I started doing JW because it was so popular, but I stopped after I tried some aamc qbank questions. It is the same reason why I stopped using Upangea cars. I don't know if it is just the level of difficulty of the aamc qbank, but it is easier to make logical inferences in JW than aamc. I found myself many times overthinking or making conclusions that may have gotten me a correct question on JW, but does not work the same with aamc. I have to keep reminding myself that the answer is in the text. It is almost always explicitly, in one way or another, in the text.