Technology Anybod else pre-order the new macbook pro retina display?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like such a sucker...

I had an iMac 27" and so was looking to switch anyway back to laptop. (I had a macbook pro before switching 2 years ago)

Damn those things are expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the commercial yesterday on Apple.com and it definitely made me want to get one. Can you imagine watch TV shows/movies in High Definition on Netflix with that laptop? :D

I would probably need to take out a loan for it though, and possibly get an external disc drive.

I saw the commercial yesterday on Apple.com and it definitely made me want to get one. Can you imagine watch TV shows/movies in High Definition on Netflix with that laptop? :D

I would probably need to take out a loan for it though, and possibly get an external disc drive.

Yea, I got the external drive, but definitely pricey. I splurged for the 750gb ss drive which is another $500, talk about ouch. I won't be able to buy another computer for 5 years... The only thing that worries me is the ability of the GPU to push that kind of pixel density/high res. Retina is nice, but I would prefer performance if it's going to slow down some of my apps. Ah well, we'll see. What frustrated me is that I was also looking at the old macbook pro, but wanted 16gb ram since I use Parallels quite a bit and other memory intensive apps, and they only offer 16gb ram on the new retina macbook pro's, not the refreshed old ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lenovo X220t. It's everything your MacBook is, and everything your iPad is, in one device. Welcome to the future of computing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Lenovo X220t. It's everything your MacBook is, and everything your iPad is, in one device. Welcome to the future of computing

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P, I bought it back in December 2009. It's a nice laptop

Nope, just bought an iPad3 a few weeks ago though.

I was happy to see that Siri will be available after the iOS6 update :)

Yea, I held off on the iPad 3, already have an iPad 2 that was definitely an improvement over the first iteration, but the 3 just didn't quite sell me like this new macbook pro.

WU, nice tablet/laptop. Those types of computers have been out for years and never really gained very much market share. Consumers tend to trend towards tablets or laptops but not amalgamations. If anything, the iPad and tablet market in general which the iPad tends to dominate has eroded the laptop market. It looks like a slick device though.

Very tempted, but won't preorder.

Apple devices are sometimes buggy for the first run, would want to wait until they'd been out for a few months to make sure everything's alright before dropping that much dough.

I'm trying to decide between iMac and new MacBook pro (not retina though).

Persuade me.

I'm trying to decide between iMac and new MacBook pro (not retina though).

Persuade me.

It really depends on what you're looking for... I'm a current Apple advocate, but consider myself about as objective as you can get. I used to be a major MS zealot and slammed Apple for years before finally switching... Honestly, the only thing that did it for me was the introduction of bootcamp and the knowledge that I could run both a Windows partition along with my MacOS partition. I still have a Windows partition...

I used to have a Macbook pro but ditched it for a 27" iMac. I tried using an iPad 1 and then 2 as my mobile computing devices and wanted to use the iMac as a primary desktop. I had previously been using the Macbook pro and an external display as my primary computing station. If you're not going to be terrible mobile or need your computer in many places and can get by with say... an iPad for basic needs such as web surfing, email, reading, etc... then iMac can give you more computing power at a cheaper price and is an elegant computer. However... I'm more of a power user and now that I'm traveling quite a bit, moonlighting, visiting family, etc.. I really miss the mobility of my previous laptop, so that's primarily why I'm going back to laptop although I'll miss the iMac.

It just depends on what you need. If you don't have computer mobility as a primary requirement, then iMac is the way to go. Awesome computer. If you use Windows applications, get a copy of Windows 7 or 8 and install it on a partition and use Parallels or boot straight into Windows for maximum flexibility.

I used to think the Windows platform was superior, and even a superior development platform but I have since changed for various reasons but honestly... I'm not a diehard fanboy and if Windows came out with a superior OS, I'd easily be swayed back, but after using both operating systems extensively for both programming and productivity, I can honestly say that I truly consider, somewhat subjectively of course, that the MacOS is the superior OS for a variety of reasons that I would need pages to expand on. It's an evolutionary leap forward in front of Windows.

I have no complaints about the iMac, just that I miss having a laptop, so that's why I'm switching back. I even tried using a bluetooth keyboard with my iPad while traveling, etc.. but I just can't do everything that I need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I probably don't need to make my own thread for this, so I'm just gonna do a minor hijack.

I'm starting school next month and I was absolutely sure that I was gonna buy a new MacBook Air when it came out. But then, the MacBook Pro got upgraded at the same time and it's so much lighter than before (not to mention beautiful). I'm so torn! Does anybody have any suggestions on MBA vs. MBP for med school? Has anybody seen the new MBP in person -- is the weight difference still so significant?

Thanks!

Ok, I probably don't need to make my own thread for this, so I'm just gonna do a minor hijack.

I'm starting school next month and I was absolutely sure that I was gonna buy a new MacBook Air when it came out. But then, the MacBook Pro got upgraded at the same time and it's so much lighter than before (not to mention beautiful). I'm so torn! Does anybody have any suggestions on MBA vs. MBP for med school? Has anybody seen the new MBP in person -- is the weight difference still so significant?

Thanks!

For med school I'd still recommend the 11" MBA.

The new retina display is gorgeous, but the MBA is more than enough computer for medical school and amazingly portable. You could even fit it in a large white coat pocket.

Thanks!

These are all light notebooks already. The weight is a non-issue, especially when comparing the macbook air with the 13" macbook pro's. You begin to start paying for the "thinness" of the machine. Considering that this will not only be your laptop for school for more than likely your primary desktop replacement for the next 4 years. I would suggest making the right investment now so that you don't have to worry about upgrading or regret the decision later on. I think the pro is the right way to go in your case. You've got too many limitations with the Air that would be very frustrating after awhile. (Especially 4 years...) 256gb SSD? Do you even need SSD? That's a tiny amount of space in the grand scheme of things and if you splurge for the larger 512gb SSD, then you pay out the nose for it where you could have had a 1 Terabyte SATA drive standard on the pro. More than enough space for everything.

Remember to max out your Ram for future viability of the machine. Don't assume you can upgrade as Apple is clearly taking measures into their own hands in the future now that it appears the new Retina MBP has soldered in RAM modules that cannot be removed.

What I'm basically trying to say is that you need a machine to last 4 years, so the minute you start adding new features or upgrades on the website, everything in general costs more simply because you're buying "light and thin" with the Air and are restricted from the option of not being able to get any hard drive other than SSD where a SATA hard drive would be more than what you need and you could quadruple the storage space for a fraction of the price compared to SSD. You also don't need to be worrying about "light and thin" with any of these 13" machines. ANY 13" laptop is "light and thin".

Any 13" machine is light and thin, but the 11" MacBook air is really a different beast. It can fit in a white coat pocket! And it is priced as the cheapest Mac out there.

I agree, max out RAM, but short of serious photo/video processing you won't need more than 8 GB.

Any 13" machine is light and thin, but the 11" MacBook air is really a different beast. It can fit in a white coat pocket! And it is priced as the cheapest Mac out there.

I agree, max out RAM, but short of serious photo/video processing you won't need more than 8 GB.

MBA in a white coat pocket would only be good for the LOL factor.

Buying the MacBook Pro retina display would be better to get later down the road. A lot of websites and applications aren't even optimized for the retina display yet so it will actually look worse on the retina Mbp than the standard Mbp.

I got the new iPad a few months ago and I love it. I recently gave up my 5.1.1 jailbreak for ios6 and I must say I like the improvements of ios6 so far. The new Siri isn't that much smarter than the old one as apple makes it out to be (so far at least). It's definitely smarter but it still isn't more than only a 'use to show friends' feature. The AppStore ui got a refresh and finally apple made it so you could install apps without leaving the AppStore without jailbreak.

I would definitely at least wait a few months to make sure there aren't any bugs in the production line.

Let the pre-order people test them out for you before getting one yourself.

Went with the iMac myself. Very happy with the decision, great deal from bestbuy.

Fellowship gave me the new iPad and I already had a first gen with a Bluetooth keyboard. For my use I'm good to go. When I finish fellowship and make some real money maybe itll be mbp time.

I have a work-issued X220, and I just can't bear to use its trackpad, especially compared to the one on my MBP. I assume Apple must have patents on something related to glass trackpads, because there is no other excuse for PC laptop makers to not have done it yet.

I have a work-issued X220, and I just can't bear to use its trackpad, especially compared to the one on my MBP. I assume Apple must have patents on something related to glass trackpads, because there is no other excuse for PC laptop makers to not have done it yet.

Probably a combination of patents + expense of parts. Also Apple corners the market on a lot of the materials it needs for its computers, so those parts may simply not be available in sufficient quantities for other companies.

Well... I've been using the MBP retina 15" for about a week now... Impressions? So far, it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. Apple truly is a great marketing company and could sell us all types of products through channeling the late SJ (RIP) reality distortion field. Don't get me wrong.. The display is gorgeous, it's just that with it being retina... You really have to have your face smashed up against the screen to appreciate the fact that you can't see pixels. I'm using a Thunderbolt display hooked to the MBP as a desktop replacement system and I can't even see pixels from the Thunderbolt display from where I'm seated typing this. I can barely see them with my face up against the glass. The big deal with the retina on the iPhone and iPad is that your face has a much closer proximity to the display compared to a notebook. In general... you are sitting farther away from the screen, so much of the technological advancement is lost. Again, beautiful display but "retina" is more of a marketing ploy with the laptop than anything else as far as I'm concerned.

Otherwise, the laptop feels more like my old MBP than the macbook air. It's definitely more thin, but still retains the shape and heft of the unibody MBP design. This is my first machine with SSD and wow...just wow. It literally boots both of my Mac and Windows partitions in a handful of seconds with lightning fast disc access and application launching. That's been the biggest enjoyment I've gotten out of the laptop. Otherwise, great new addition to the MBP line, but retina is way overhyped. If you need a MBP, I'd save your money and buy one of the older models unless you need the largest SSD. SSD is definitely the way to go for the future.

I was playing with them in the store, I don't think they are worth it. I didn't see a difference.

I got the Air 13in, 4g, 128GB.
4g on a Mac is still fast. Its faster than my i7, 8g PC.
I used to think I needed a lot of hard drive space, but I just fill it with crap I don't need.
Not worried about not having a disk drive since it has a remote disk feature. I hardly use disk drives anyway.

I got one several weeks ago, and I must say that this is a beautiful machine. It's extremely fast and quiet. The picture is so crisp. I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: Another thing that I really like is that it comes standard with an SSD, which makes it really quiet. The fans are also a new design that keeps them from getting too noisy. Text on here is incredibly sharp. About the price, I can understand that it's a bit more than a regular laptop, but if you only get the base model, it's about 2200. I'm starting school in a few months, and the Apple store gave me a certain percentage off of the computer (and I think Applecare too). I just had to open my school email to prove that I was a student...so your school might have something like that too...if you're a student. I actually paid 3300 for my 17" Pro back in high school (including Applecare), so this was a welcome price drop. My 17" Pro will probably always be my favorite computer though. It's still going strong.

Last summer, I bought a 17" matte screen Pro, but I had to return it. The hard drive was really noisy. It would always click, which I assume was due to the head parking too often. Anyway, it was a common complaint on Apple Discussions. I also thought that the display had bad viewing angles. When a machine costs as much as a MacBook Pro does, you kind of expect perfection. If you're deciding between this Retina Pro and the regular, I would definitely suggest the Retina, as they seem to have improved on some things that people were complaining about. It's a definitely an investment, but I think that computers are kind of like mattresses: You're going to use them a lot, so it's an area where you should drop some extra cash if you can.

Last edited: