Any URM success complete late August-September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So title says it all. with my mcat date and having to wait on my committee letter after scores are received, it looks like I may not be complete until late August or early September.

Any of my URMs out there have any success being complete this late? is this too late to have a reasonable shot? All stories welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't submitt my primary app until Sept. 13 (similar situation), my secondaries were sent out earlier Nov. I applied both MD and DO. Ended up sending 3 secondaries 2 DO, 1 MD... interviewed at the MD to later be rejected, rejected pre-interview from one of the DO schools and the other waitlisted me then eventually accepted me late in the cycle.

So you can be successful but its probably going to be stressful and largely depends on your MCAT score and where/how many schools you apply to.

So title says it all. with my mcat date and having to wait on my committee letter after scores are received, it looks like I may not be complete until late August or early September.

Any of my URMs out there have any success being complete this late? is this too late to have a reasonable shot? All stories welcome!

I was complete late August. As of now, I have 3 MD acceptances and 3 DO. My stats were not stellar 3.3 S an C GPA 27 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete early October (DO) and late October (MD)... 3 iis (2MD and 1 DO)... Decline 1 MD invite. 2 acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
wow I love you all haha, and congrats on all that unreal success!

screw it, I can't wait another year. I'm doing all I can for this mcat and applying this cycle. wish me luck!!

also, forgoing my committee letter could possible save me about a month of being late. should I possibly find out if I can just skip the committee letter and apply earlier? or possibly end up 4 weeks later and get the letter? any tips?

Many years ago (15 to be exact), I had my approval and primary done in August right after I took the MCAT. Fortunately, I did well on the MCAT I had to add a few schools that were more appropriate for my scores when I got them in September. I called the diversity offices at a bunch of schools and a couple gave me the secondary without ever seeing my primary. I ended up accepted at one of those schools.

I suggest you call up the diversity offices at the schools you are targeting and see what they think about someone with your stats the moment you get your results.

Primary submitted in June but I didn't take the MCAT until mid August and consequently didn't submit secondaries/become complete until mid - September to early - November. I applied to 16 schools (all MD) and received 10 interview invites, 2 of which I declined. Of the 8 I attended I was accepted to 7. My stats are good but not stellar. Overall I don't think applying late - ish hurt me at all.

I'd recommend using the committee letter.

Reactions: 3 users
Primary submitted in June but I didn't take the MCAT until mid August and consequently didn't submit secondaries/become complete until mid - September to early - November. I applied to 16 schools (all MD) and received 10 interview invites, 2 of which I declined. Of the 8 I attended I was accepted to 7. My stats are good but not stellar. Overall I don't think applying late - ish hurt me at all.

I'd recommend using the committee letter.

haha welp, thanks for solidifying my plan. appreciate it!

I believe I sent in my primary in mid-August and was complete in early October. After sending my 5 secondaries, I received two MD II almost immediately. I was accepted to both.

I am applying this cycle and saw that you are MD/MPH, do you mind me asking where? You can PM me

This thread gives me hope! Will submit my primary in about 2 weeks. However, MCAT score will not be posted till mid August so I wont be complete until then. I have been so worried that I am setting myself back and need to wait until next cycle to apply!

This thread gives me hope! Will submit my primary in about 2 weeks. However, MCAT score will not be posted till mid August so I wont be complete until then. I have been so worried that I am setting myself back and need to wait until next cycle to apply!

lol I'm in the exact same boat, which is why I started the thread. needed some reassurance that it's still possible and I'm not simply flushing money down the toilet due to stubbornness. here's to a hopefully successful cycle for all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle. African American living in KY. I want to get everything in early, but i know my LOR will set me back but my stats are alright 26 mcat (10BS, 10PS, 6VS), 3.85 sgpa, and a lot of job shadowing, research, and internship at the hospital. Anyways, do you guys think they give preference to URM these days??... and are you guys getting any emails from schools (like Ohio State University) and is there any significance to the emails??? Thanks in advance for the replies.

and are you guys getting any emails from schools (like Ohio State University) and is there any significance to the emails??? Thanks in advance for the replies.
I can only speak to my own experience, but I received several secondary fee waivers after MCAT scores were released. I know I used the waiver for Feinberg and I still hadn't heard a single thing from them before I withdrew in April. So it's not a guarantee at all.

It can't hurt to apply to schools that offer you such an incentive. Only thing I'll say is that if you really wouldn't consider going to the school, I don't see any point in wasting time on the secondary.

I can only speak to my own experience, but I received several secondary fee waivers after MCAT scores were released. I know I used the waiver for Feinberg and I still hadn't heard a single thing from them before I withdrew in April. So it's not a guarantee at all.

It can't hurt to apply to schools that offer you such an incentive. Only thing I'll say is that if you really wouldn't consider going to the school, I don't see any point in wasting time on the secondary.

wait, they waived the secondary fee? was this because you qualified for FAP or simply for being a URM?

wait, they waived the secondary fee? was this because you qualified for FAP or simply for being a URM?
MCAT/URM combination I suppose. I didn't qualify for FAP. This is what the email said:

"Greetings from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois! We sent you this letter via postal mail a few weeks ago and are resending via email to make sure you receive it. We would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with our school in hopes that you will consider applying. After carefully sorting through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry from the AAMC, we have selected you as a potentially competitive applicant based on your MCAT scores. If your cumulative GPA is 3.0 or better, we would love to see your application. Understanding that the application process is expensive, we are also willing to waive the secondary fee if necessary – just email [email protected], provide your name and AMCAS ID#, and mention this letter."

I received similar emails from a few other schools, but Feinberg was the only waiver I used.

MCAT/URM combination I suppose. I didn't qualify for FAP. This is what the email said:

"Greetings from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois! We sent you this letter via postal mail a few weeks ago and are resending via email to make sure you receive it. We would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with our school in hopes that you will consider applying. After carefully sorting through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry from the AAMC, we have selected you as a potentially competitive applicant based on your MCAT scores. If your cumulative GPA is 3.0 or better, we would love to see your application. Understanding that the application process is expensive, we are also willing to waive the secondary fee if necessary – just email [email protected], provide your name and AMCAS ID#, and mention this letter."

I received similar emails from a few other schools, but Feinberg was the only waiver I used.

wow that's awesome. didn't know this happens. hopefully my upcoming mcat allows me to get a few lol thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

I took the last possible MCAT making me complete in October, everything else was ready by September. However, while waiting I started working on my secondaries, which were mostly finished by November. So you kind of have to be strategic with your timing. Out of the 14 schools (mostly in CA) I applied to I had 9 interview invites, 4 acceptances, and some waitlists so far.

I did not have stellar numbers, but I think I have some great LOR's and above average EC's. I worked really hard on my personal statements and the mini essays in the primary application. Also devoted a lot of time to my secondaries.

Obviously the sooner the better, being late does not mean you are doomed, but during one of my interviews in February I was told that by this point its really hard to stand out and I looked like the typical applicant ( I was eventually accepted).

I took the last possible MCAT making me complete in October, everything else was ready by September. However, while waiting I started working on my secondaries, which were mostly finished by November. So you kind of have to be strategic with your timing. Out of the 14 schools (mostly in CA) I applied to I had 9 interview invites, 4 acceptances, and some waitlists so far.

I did not have stellar numbers, but I think I have some great LOR's and above average EC's. I worked really hard on my personal statements and the mini essays in the primary application. Also devoted a lot of time to my secondaries.

Obviously the sooner the better, being late does not mean you are doomed, but during one of my interviews in February I was told that by this point its really hard to stand out and I looked like the typical applicant ( I was eventually accepted).

that's great news, and congrats!! if you can be successful in ultra competitive California I'm hoping my NY schools will be as forgiving. Thanks for the encouragement!

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

MCAT (27-29), GPA science (3.1-3.3), GPA overall (3.3-3.5). My GPA had a very very strong upward trend via a formal Post-Bacc taking 3 quarters of only science courses.

@DoctorLacrosse Will PM you with further details but I was complete at most schools in mid-October and I had 6 acceptances (7 interviews attended, 1 waitlist).

This thread gives me some serious hope! Good luck to you too DrLacrosee!

lol you guys are the reason I love this section of the forum. always a genuine feeling of wanting to help each other around these parts. love it, and good luck to all! lets hope slight lateness won't kill us!

To think, I was actually going to wait a yet ANOTHER year to apply because I thought I would be taking my MCAT too late in the cycle (late Aug). Thank you for sharing your success guys! I really appreciate it :)

Just found out my committee letter isn't going to be sent out until mid-September. are these schools seriously kidding me? we pay thousands in tuition so that they can put us at a severe disadvantage by taking so long to send out a required letter?

honestly feel like I'm gonna end up with no shot this cycle being that late. really hoping I can end up successful like many who responded to this thread. thank you guys for the hope.

Just found out my committee letter isn't going to be sent out until mid-September. are these schools seriously kidding me? we pay thousands in tuition so that they can put us at a severe disadvantage by taking so long to send out a required letter?

honestly feel like I'm gonna end up with no shot this cycle being that late. really hoping I can end up successful like many who responded to this thread. thank you guys for the hope.

Seriously, I know your frustrations...I'm doing everything right, verified early and everything, and the one thing I can't control (letters packet) is holding me back. All my attempts to get things in early gone in vain, just because my Pre-Health Office is dragging its feet in sending out my letters :grumpy:

Seriously, I know your frustrations...I'm doing everything right, verified early and everything, and the one thing I can't control (letters packet) is holding me back. All my attempts to get things in early gone in vain, just because my Pre-Health Office is dragging its feet in sending out my letters :grumpy:

right? how wrong is that? everything about this process is starting to get on my nerves already and it's only just beginning lol. makes me feel like either committee letters should NOT be mandatory, or every school should be non-rolling.

Inspirational thread for those of us taking the MCAT next month. Good to know a mid August MCAT won't kill my app

What about taking the mcat late August/first week of September? Is that considered too late for this application cycle? I'm scheduled for next week but my aamc practice scores aren't near my goal.

Good luck everyone!

I am a PGY-1 Orthopaedic Surgery Resident and vividly remember applying and going through the process.

Any questions, please send them my way.

================
www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: facebook.com/awebbmd
Follow me at: antoniowebbmd.wordpress.com