Any University of Rochester residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obra4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or any in programs in the Northeast

I am an MS3 at a top 50 school in the Midwest. I am originally from the Northeast and would like to relocate there. I have heard great things about Rochester as a program and as a educational institution. I am curious about the chances of an applicant like me getting in? I plan on doing an away there......but this is who I am on paper thus far.

URM
USMLE I : mid 240's
Preclinical grades: average
Research: undergrad & during med (no publications) topics non-ortho

I am quite involved in school (organizations, sports, leadership).

Any advice on how to make myself more competitive would also be great.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

i think doing an away there would pretty much give you an interview. i didn't rotate there and was offered an interview, with similar USMLE, but i had some research. i know they are pretty big on research, but probably not a be all end all type of thing. i thought the program looked good, the "pit" or trauma seemed pretty rough, but fun. the attendings all were really outgoing. i'd rotate there if you are really interested.

thanks for the reply!

agreed. i didn't rotate there either but had similar stats with research. the staff was very outgoing and the residents were all very nice and open about the program. no lie though, the "pit" did look rough and the intern on that service looked pretty beat (kind of how I feel now). but the program is stellar and produce great surgeons. one of our hand attendings is from there, he's top notch.