Any University of Illinois-Chicago undergrads out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a post-bacc in Chicago currently at Loyola who is considering switching to UIC next semester--mainly because I want better grades but also because of the lower tuition. I'd like to know: how is pre-med over there? Is it major weed-out as it is at Loyola? Or are they more humane? If anyone could talk to me about specific profs for physics 2, bio 2, and math please pm me.

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Since no one has responded to your post, I guess I am attending the close sister school down here in champaign. Have you thought about transfering here? I can say that our premed courses may or may not be a weedout, but physics here is hard and the bio courses are rigorous but not impossible. PM me if you have any additional questions

what's up,

I went to Dartmouth for undergrad, but took biochem at UIC post-bacc style at UIC. Granted, biochem isn't exactly a typical weed-out premed course, but it was much, much easier than anything i ever saw at the Mouth. I hope I don't offend any Flames out there-- I realize that I definitly do not have a great grasp on the pre-med atmosphere at UIC. This was just my experience.

Coming from Loyola, I'm guessing you might get a similar impression.

Tofurkey,
Hey, I am a soph. at UIC and I think I can help out a little. I'll only tell you about what I have personally seen. The intro-bio courses are not rigorous/weed-out at all. I'm not sure why they are so lackadaisical but I think that it has something to do with the intro-bio being a university wide gen.ed. fullfillment course.
The material is just a skim off of the top of MCAT bio that is needed. And, an A in this class is set at 85%. AND there have been extra credit on tests! There is no excuse, if you plan on doing well on the MCAT, to not excel in this class. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings who is not doing well in this class, but honestly, if you compare MCAT Bio material, which covers a year of intro-bio(they are surely not talking about UIC), to UIC intro-bio, and notice that the other semester of intro-bio at UIC is Populations and Communities, a much smaller amount of material is covered at UIC. So, the short of all of this is, Yes, I think that UIC intro-bio may be easier than Loyola(since you say it is "weed-out").
As for calculusI , I would just say, because I am exhausted from monologuing about UIC's intro-bio class so much,that it is curved and that the average is generally around 55-65%, and that I have seen many people get 100%s on exams.

There, I hope that helped. UIC doesn't seem that bad for getting good grades, but if it is thorough MCAT preparation you're looking for, thats another thing...

I was born at a very young age...