Any TX DVM's out there that participated in TX Academic Fresh Start Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieRVT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this is a pre-vet topic (I posted it on that forum as well), but I would love to hear from a DVM that was accepted to vet school after participating in the TX academic fresh start program. I've been searching the old threads and cannot find many personal experiences about the program, aside from a pre-dent & pre-med from '04 & '05.

I am strongly considering this option due to my previous academic performance. I graduated with a bs in animal science from Texas A&M in 1999 w/a 2.29 GPA. Although my GPA did not reflect it, my intentions were to go to vet school. I didn't bother applying. I seriously considered SGU vet school in Grenada (they were still brand new then), but realized the financial burden that I would have after graduation. I went to a vet tech school instead to become a registered vet tech.
After working in the field for the past 8 years, I truly love what I do. However, there is a piece of me (big chunk actually) that still wants to be the doctor, not just the tech. 10 years after graduation I am much more mature, focused and confident, I know I can do anything once I set my mind to it.

So this leaves me with a few options:
1) Take a year of upper level science courses to prove to the admissions committee at SGU that I can do the work (their advice), accept the $117K for tuition (not including books, living expences, etc), possibly lose a really great boyfriend in the process, be about $250K in debt upon graduation w/a hopeful salary of $80-100K/yr.

2) Retake all science classes below B avg, but may only bring up GPA to barely above a 3.0 if I made all A's in 70 or so hours, still not acceptible for vet school.

3) Participate in TX Academic Fresh Start retaking everything. I realize I would already need to retake the science courses that have "expired", so why not start w/a clean slate. The 90 hours of classes I've already taken is quite daunting, but I obviously did not learn a whole lot the first time around. If I can manage at least a 3.4-3.6 GPA I have a good shot at Tx a&m vet school after 3 years of undergrad courses which would be much more financially feasible and easier on my relationship.

Thank you to all of those in advance that reply. Any personal information/stories will help with my decision. I have not begun any classes yet, I'm hoping to get started w/pre-req's (again) in January 2010. I know I need to speak w/counselors, I would also like your input/suggestions or any pro's/con's about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Has no one participated in this program ?

There is also the ross vet prep program. Has anyone participated in that ?

I am in a very similiar position, I graduated in 2003 with a BS animal science with the intention of applying to vet school. I never even took all the required pre-reqs however. My GPA is not stellar, but I have good work experience (vet tech) and I am much more mature and focused now.

I really love what I am doing, but there isn't really a future for a vet tech. A lot of me really wants the respect and autonomy of being a DVM.

I am a CT resident, so my options are a bit more limited. Ross is actually the most attractive option for me out there.

Moderators: should this post be moved to pre-vet ?

I also had a questionable GPA from undergrad even though I was hoping to be admitted to a veterinary program. Years later, I was able to gain admittance into a graduate program with the sole purpose of improving my GPA. My MS GPA is above the average gpa for those admitted. I think a fresh start in a masters program looks more impressive than redoing undergrad work. Currently waiting for an answer from my application. If you go for it, give it your best. Mediocre grades won't get you in with a past history of ???? grades.:oops: