any trick/supplement pill to improve memory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusmle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
any personal trick ,or taking any supplement pill to improve memory for the test ?

Members don't see this ad.

no magic pill. If you have ADHD you can take medicine to help you concentrate and thus increase memory retention.

try to understand the concepts and relate them. For other information which can't be understood or reached logically use mnemonics or mind palace.

thanks. I dont have ADHD. and i am using Anki. I am asking if taking any brain supplements help memorizing knowledges

Members don't see this ad :)
Know your body and build up your stamina. Start studying for 8-10 hrs a day w/ 50 mins hard gunning and 10 mins relaxing. 10 mins relaxing can be stretching or pumping iron. When you start feeling your mind is wandering, you need to start doing cardio for 30-40 mins to rejuvenate your brain with that fresh BDNF and oxygen. At the 5 or 6 PM stretch when you're close to reaching muscle failure, you need to get a stimulant like coffee to push you to that home stretch at midnight. Don't abuse the coffee though. Coffee should be used for 3-4 days a week in order to prevent your body building a tolerance to that stimulant. Stop studying at midnight everyday and make sure you get about 6-8 hrs of sleep.

It's going to be painful at first but you will start seeing increased yield in your knowledge base by the 3rd or 4th month. Your brain is nothing more than a muscle. You don't get massive gain in body building if you don't push yourself to muscle failure day after day.

Reactions: 5 users
Adderall got our best scorer a 265+ on step 1. They are interviewing for plastic surgery now sitting dandy.

Reactions: 1 user
Adderall got my extremely ADHD roommate a 254 on Step 1. He actually needs it though, he is a true case of attention deficit disorder to the extreme, without it he can't function.

I usually take multivitamins and Vitamin B complex that is it, aside from my methimazole as my maintenance drug for thyroid.

Know your body and build up your stamina. Start studying for 8-10 hrs a day w/ 50 mins hard gunning and 10 mins relaxing. 10 mins relaxing can be stretching or pumping iron. When you start feeling your mind is wandering, you need to start doing cardio for 30-40 mins to rejuvenate your brain with that fresh BDNF and oxygen. At the 5 or 6 PM stretch when you're close to reaching muscle failure, you need to get a stimulant like coffee to push you to that home stretch at midnight. Don't abuse the coffee though. Coffee should be used for 3-4 days a week in order to prevent your body building a tolerance to that stimulant. Stop studying at midnight everyday and make sure you get about 6-8 hrs of sleep.

It's going to be painful at first but you will start seeing increased yield in your knowledge base by the 3rd or 4th month. Your brain is nothing more than a muscle. You don't get massive gain in body building if you don't push yourself to muscle failure day after day.

>

Adderall got our best scorer a 265+ on step 1. They are interviewing for plastic surgery now sitting dandy.

Best thing that ever happened to my career. I'd be bottom of the class matching in rural Arkansas without it.

We aren't robots with the same wired brain. If everyone tried the same regimen the variability of exam scores wouldn't change from what it is now presently because not everyone can work with a specific regimen like that. Some of us need medication to be on par with the rest.

We aren't robots with the same wired brain. If everyone tried the same regimen the variability of exam scores wouldn't change from what it is now presently because not everyone can work with a specific regimen like that. Some of us need medication to be on par with the rest.

My point was more that taking the time and putting in the effort to create a regimen without a crutch is in my opinion superior to substance abuse. The world is not a fair place, and lots of people that would fit specialties well don't have access to them because of the tests required for them. Adderral is probably not the answer.

Spoken like a true gunner!

My point was more that taking the time and putting in the effort to create a regimen without a crutch is in my opinion superior to substance abuse. The world is not a fair place, and lots of people that would fit specialties well don't have access to them because of the tests required for them. Adderral is probably not the answer.

It's only 'substance abuse' for people who haven't been diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed appropriate medication.
(It's also a crime.)

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with Anki! Learning by spaced repetition is the best way to improve retention.

Don't look to supplements for help. There are certain cases in which I will recommend caffeine, as in literally 2 cups of coffee a day versus 1. Students who always do poorly on the last few blocks in a practice test can benefit from a cup of coffee (or double shot espresso) during the break. I felt like I was going to fall asleep during Step 2 CK, so I did need a double shot espresso on a break. If you're already a heavy coffee drinker, try to cut back so you will actually see an effect when you need it.

I've never touched things like Adderall and strongly recommend against obtaining it for the purposes of studying for the USMLE.