any thoughts on univ of hawaii IM prog?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemeonc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am done with residency and am trying to help my friend who has applied to several IM programs with the application/interview season. He has applied to Univ of Hawaii Internal med program. I can't seem to find much feedback re: the strength of this program, competiveness to get in, (and if they take out of state applicants often). Searching SDN, seems like in the past, there were some comments suggesting it wasn't too strong and possible some internal problems with staff. any insight would be helpful! thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am done with residency and am trying to help my friend who has applied to several IM programs with the application/interview season. He has applied to Univ of Hawaii Internal med program. I can't seem to find much feedback re: the strength of this program, competiveness to get in, (and if they take out of state applicants often). Searching SDN, seems like in the past, there were some comments suggesting it wasn't too strong and possible some internal problems with staff. any insight would be helpful! thanks.

It's gossip, but I've heard they are "malignant". Whatever that means . . . Also bad administration/organization, FWIW (all gossip).

I think you basically have to be from Hawaii either the med school or grew up there to be considered. I've literally known ONE person who got an interiew there and he was from there originally.

I interviewed in Hawaii (I'm not from there) and I loved the program. Definitely not malignant, everyone is really warm and friendly and all the faculty seem pretty nice. Probably not the most academic of places but it seems like a good place to go if you're not pursuing a competitive fellowship (they have in-house cards from what I can recall). The only thing would be that an intern complained because of some change in schedules they were admitting patients everyday, as in he was literally taking call everyday.

I plan to rank It pretty high just because of the location alone.