Any Suggestions~?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoonShiNe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first time applying to medical schools, but I have a bad feeling that I might not get in anywhere because of my bad verbal score on MCAT..
So.. I am planning to get a part-time job just incase I need to re-take the MCAT..
Can anyone recommend some part-time jobs that medical schools like to see?
I've been working as a physician's assistant at a clinic, but I'd like to do something new now.. I was hoping to get a job at a laboratory, but most of them hire full-time employees..
I guess it's limited since we have to get a medical/health related jobs, but
what kind of works(FT/PT/voluteer) did you re-applicants do to improve your applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work full time in something completely non-related to health because of the pay and I really needed a full time gig to get the health benefits. The good thing is that because I don't have to worry about health insurance or paying bills, I can concentrate on boosting my ec's like volunteer work and such. If you have a family it would be hard to juggle this.

I think you could probably relate a lot of different kinds of jobs to your future career in medicine.

For instance, I worked in research and gained experience working in science. However, one of my interviewers wondered why I would want to go into medicine given the fact that I had SO MUCH research experience (guess he didn't look at all my other people-focused activities or read my letters of rec, since I really had to learn to tolerate benchwork!). He asked me if I had gained any clinical experience from my job.

Another interviewee had worked in the restaurant business. He said he didn't really have much recent clinical experience, but the director of admissions chastised him for saying that and talked about how working in a service industry must have prepared him well for dealing with the rigors of service in medicine (i.e., as a doc, you're going to run into a lot of people who aren't at their best, and you need to handle that).

So I think that whatever you do (and of course adcom's understand you need to earn money to live), you might focus on the personal qualities you bring to and develop in the job.