Any recommeded books for new medic student.?

Hous3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guyz,
this year i'm going to further my study into medical course..so be4 i start my study, i wish to gain knowledge in medical field..so can any1 recommend me worth reading books for a new med students..?thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Relax, dude. If you want to read something, read a good novel or two. Don't waste your time trying to "get a head start" on studying - it won't work!

PS this is a hsdn forum... are you in the right place?

Yeah, I've heard many professional schools suggest NOT starting to look into text books before school. It'll be some of your last free time for the next 30 years or so, enjoy it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Threads like this make me really sad.

why..?

sorry if i posted at wrong section..i dunno which section should i go..

thanks guyz for the advice but it is not that i want to start reading the med textbook,i kinda search for any book that give a brief introduction to the med field..maybe novels, n i found out that people always talk about the novel 'better' by gawande atul..u guys think that i should read it...?

why..?

thanks guyz for the advice but it is not that i want to start reading the med textbook,i kinda search for any book that give a brief introduction to the med field..maybe novels, n i found out that people always talk about the novel 'better' by gawande atul..u guys think that i should read it...?

And you're going to a US med school with that grammar? Yikes :laugh:

Never heard of that novel. Read something interesting and fun that you'll enjoy reading.

why..?

I am assume because of the grammar/spelling.

Last edited:
I never say that I'm going to a US med school....
I know that my grammar is bad but this is my another way to improve my English..My English won't improve if i just sitting around and wait for it to improve by itself without doing nothing right...

btw thanks 4 the replies..
i looked into the thread that CScull gave and i came across a few novels..Now I'm going to the store to pick up one that interest me..

P/S Does anyone knows any book that explain about med life, some general information or facts that students must know. something like a guide book for a new med student..thanks

Last edited:
When I went to my interview at Howard the dean said that they have all of the students read a book called "The Pact," which is about a group of friends some of who go to med school, some go to dent school, and about their experiences or something like that, maybe you should pick that up.

I haven't read it, but it looks like a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Pact-Sampson-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240269659&sr=1-4

ok thanks vicviper, i'll try to find that one too..
but i'm so disappointed with the bookstores in my country, it is so hard to find all these books..i hope i can find one

I find this poster a little suspect...to go from hideous grammar in the first 2-3 posts to comprehensible writing in the last post makes me wonder. Also, claiming to be a med student and using writing commonly used by middle schoolers ( ie "guyz" be4", etc) makes me want to lean more towards the troll side, even though that is commonly misused. OP, if you claim to be in med school already, why does your status say "pre-health?

These are merely things that have raised red flags for me.

He was probably just paying attention to his writing after we pointed it out :p

And what I originally thought he was asking was different than what I think he is actually asking, and that is just where to find some more information about what it is to be a medical student and what the life is like.

why..?

Better, a surgeons note on performance, by Atul Gawande is a great book, along with Complications, a surgeons note on an imperfect science. They are not med. school textbooks by any means.

To TheMagicCookie - I never claim that I am in med school already...I just finished my secondary school and now planning to continue my study to med school..Just like Vicviper said, I was paying attention to my writing after you guys pointed it out but it doesn't matter actually what you guys think because I just want to ask what I want to...:D

I can't find "The Pact" in any bookstores in my region but I hope my father will allow me to buy it through amazon..The book seems to be interesting, can't wait to read it. After "The Pact" I will try to find "Better" by Gawande.

My english is not so good but I hope you guys dont mind..If there is any wrong grammar or spelling please correct it so I can improve my english.Thanks