any recent exam experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

My experience:

Pediatrics resident, early 2nd year (took it mid-July)

I wanted to save money, so I only bought Master the Boards. I read MTB (except I skipped the Peds part) thoroughly once, then went over the high-yield stuff again--stuff I didn't have experience with in residency like Cardiology, adult cancer screening recs, trauma, gyn...

I also did about 200 questions from "Exam-master," which my school/program provides for free. I also did the free questions and CCS cases from the official NBME website.

I had done well on Steps I and II, for all 3 steps my scores were

251, 250, 244

FYI, on the score report I did worst on the geriatrics and gyn and stuff. I also didn't do as well on the CCS cases, I guess because I barely prepped for the strategies involved in using the computer system.

Overall, I was very happy with my budget-adherent plan! good luck all!

PGY-2 Medicine

Took exam in mid July.

Three weeks of exam prep during elective/ outpatient medicine.
Crush: Skimmed 50 pages ; only OB/Peds/Psych. Spent about 2-3 hours total doing this.
USMLE World: did about 40% on random testing mode 30-40 questions per block, reviewed each explanation briefly. Was scoring from 50-55% initially; towards the end of the two weeks scored 55-60%, think my final average was 58%. This took 1-2 hours / night and a few half day sessions on the weekends.

Also used the USMLE World simulated cases software - ended up doing about 20 and reading the explanations of cases I didn't have time to review.

The exam was pretty tedious (shocker). On day one I marked at least 1/3 of the questions and did some educated guessing on at least that many. Day two is much better - the cases really break up the day and you will almost never use the entire alloted time so you'll get out by early afternoon. I know I bombed at least 2 cases. Walked out thinking there was a small chance I didn't pass (actually looked at my schedule for times I could reschedule the damn thing in the event I failed).

Score: 236

In hindsight I think I was a little too stressed going into this (though this stress didn't really translate into more studying, go figure). We're all in residency and deal with way more stressful situations, probably on a weekly basis ~ remember that in reality your score is inconsequential. You just need to pass.

At first I was like :scared:

Now I'm all like :p

Good Luck, God Bless, and kiss my ass USMLE-especially for the Step 2CS. Really, just kiss my ass for that whole fiasco.

Mahalo,
Cody

Members don't see this ad :)
Just getting home from the test.

IT SUCKS!

First day: I lost count on how many "aerial" stuff were tested. It was frustrating! A lot about prognosis, what to tell the patient, etc... These things are as important as knowing dx and rx for this stupid test. The only reason why I think I have a chance of passing is because I scored above the mean in step 1 and 2, and because my UW scores are in line with what most people get.

Second day: Well, at least they gave me 2 blocks as a present for compensation of how they treated me yesterday. The other two were doable... very average. The CCS stuff :eek: I hope I have a chance, I know i sucked at it. Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I passed!

i'm a very mediocre test taker in terms of usmle (i'm a crammer/procrastinator and it doesn't really work well for these).....so i set aside about 3 weeks to study for step 3 while working at the va....i'm a pgy3 and probably should've taken it sooner....i bought crush and master the boards and got through the peds section and ob/gyn section in both, otherwise i only did questions on usmle world...i did them all except the biostats for which i relied on my prior "knowledge"...which wasn't so bad...i was nervous about passing this becasue of added pressure from my program to pass it by sept 30th otherwise getting suspended from clinical duties until a passing score is achieved...i just found out i passed right at the mean!

so done with the usmle's. good luck!

markgit

1) was just testing a post. sorry for the mislead

2) my experience was posted in the other thread

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed my exam in last week of august. Awaiting result!:scared:

Day I : The questions seemed easy but the answers were so close that I was a little confused regarding what to pick between two choices. It is like I can almost always eliminate 3 choices but was stuck for a long time with the last two. This happened many times. I hope I got'em right. I am so glad that I did the Archer review course completely. It helped a lot. Some questions came directly from those lectures with out any change.
Please look carefully for questions such as "least likely", "best" and "next best". "Next best" and "best" are not the same always and it changes the correct choice. I have missed a couple of questions because of these terms and I only realized when I was reviewing the questions at the end.

Day II : The morning was all MCQ. Somewhat easier than Day I. One of the blocks was extremely difficult and I was just guessing answers on 75% of that block. Do not spend too much time on totally unknown questions because you are only going to guess and you may still get them wrong anyway. If you spend too much time on the questions that you have no clue about, you will not have enough time to spend on the questions that are too simple.
Afternoon session was the CCS. CCS was my best part. Cases were easy, mostly came from ********** workshop and uw. The patients improved and cases ended in 10 mins. I am thinking that's a good sign.

Will get back to you after my result arrives. Fingers crossed!:xf:

Last edited:
wow.
what do u mean about questions coming from archer lectures? what book did you use? are the questions on the archer blog helpful? did u use mtb, fa? how much biostats...mostly medicine?>

Just finished today (I hope) and all I can say, is it sucked but then I have an issue with clinical exams v. what is done in the real world. Hopefully all worked out and I can put this puppy to bed.

Day 1: went cross-eyed. Tons on OB-GYN! Everything pretty much as everyone above has already stated. Answers were very easy, or best of two. I knew about one third and had to guess on another third, the rest was WTF.
Day 2: much easier multiple choice, CCS were easy bread and butter cases, but I could never judge how I did on UW and practice. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I passed this stupid test. Again tons of OB-Gyn today.

1. yikes.
2. ur prep?
3. s/p the exam, what in ur opinion is the best way to do well on this exam/best sources to use?
4. thanks in advance:thumbup:

Just finished up with Day 1... never seen so many peds and ob-gyn questions in my life!

Time to study for the CCS cases. I pray for a better tomorrow!

-R

Prep: USMLEWorld Questions
CCS: Archer - Dr. Red's tutorials on CCS cases ( either live weblink or videostream of past lectures)

Having failed it once, I took the CCS more seriously. Dr. Red's lectures are at a furious pace - too much info is thrown out. he sounds like a practising ED doc. His approach is evidence based but most students sounded overwhelmed by the amount of info. Nevertheless, his approach to ED cases eg chest pain,PE, dissecting aorta etc..is worth it.

CCS ( real) is pressured. 15 mins is not a long time.

Passed two weeks ago 200+..so relieved. Four -six weeks prep. Studied around my night float shifts.

:)

Prep: USMLEWorld Questions
CCS: Archer - Dr. Red's tutorials on CCS cases ( either live weblink or videostream of past lectures)

Having failed it once, I took the CCS more seriously. Dr. Red's lectures are at a furious pace - too much info is thrown out. he sounds like a practising ED doc. His approach is evidence based but most students sounded overwhelmed by the amount of info. Nevertheless, his approach to ED cases eg chest pain,PE, dissecting aorta etc..is worth it.

CCS ( real) is pressured. 15 mins is not a long time.

Passed two weeks ago 200+..so relieved. Four -six weeks prep. Studied around my night float shifts.

:)

congrats on passing. great score
I am exactly looking for evidence based material in step 3.......For ********** workshop, which one is important to take and useful to take...live one or recorded one? I was told recorded many number cases how long is live workshop? I was also thinking if I took recorded one, I can do those at my own pace with out having to take all the info in one day as in live session. What say u? I appreciate any guidance.

How about Archer theory lectures ? heard they are quite useful for mcq's? did u do them,?

Background:
I am a neuro R3 who took the Step 3 in mid march of 2011. I have been away from internal medicine for the past 1.5 years, so I was a bit nervous, but most people told me that it is an easy test and that it is hard to study for (due to the subject matter being so broad).

Preparation:
I downloaded the five sample CCS cases from the website and completed those, then read through the majority of Crush Step 3, with a particular focus on peds, ob/gyn, and internal medicine. I did not use any other books, and did not use any question bank.

Day 1:
After the first day I felt nervous, mostly due to the fact that the material was so broad, but also very specific. I did encounter a neurology question which asked for very specific information on AED choices on a particular rare disease and laughed, realizing that there had to be a lot of ridiculous questions in other fields as well.

Day 2:
The second day was easier, mostly due to the clinical cases being a lot more reasonable than the multiple choice questions, and the multiple choice blocks being shorter.

CCS:
All of the clinical cases ended early except for one in which I was unsure of what more they wanted after the diagnosis, first line therapy, and second line therapy of the condition. On several cases I had the patient wait to long for simple things like proper pain control. On another case I didn't diagnose someone with a fracture on their first visit due to being unable to figure out how to order the appropriate imaging (my institution uses CTs and the simulation only offered plain films). I finished feeling somewhat uneasy, thinking that if I failed, I did not know how to study for the test. My results came back today and I had:

Result:
224/95. This is between my Step I (a little lower) and Step II (a good bit higher), and I am pleased to be done with the whole ordeal.

Background:
Surgical subspecialty intern. Took step 3 in february of 2011. Aiming for the pass and move on to my field that has nothing to do with any of the material tested on this crappy exam.

Preparation:
First Aid for Step 3. Decent book, but if you are at all worried about your test taking skills or want to ensure better preparation, I would say there has to a better book out there. I didn't care enough to search it out. Also did about 75% of USMLE world in untimed tutor mode, averaged 66%. Did the CCS cases on USMLE World, which pretty accurately reflected the real cases in terms of difficulty.

Day 1:
Also felt that the material was broad in scope, yet specific in the fact that you almost had to be a mid-level resident in that field to know the answer to some questions. Don't worry, everybody feels they guess on about half of them. The trick is to narrow down your answer choices, go with your gut instinct and move on.

Day 2:
Questions were more of the same. I felt like the cases were split: half were very very hard and half were gimmees. I totally f&**$# on at least two or three cases. Also the software would not let me do what I wanted to do on one case (which I was convinced and still am convinced is the correct answer - this case was in my specialty), so I think they are still working out the glitches in the new CCS software.

Result:
229 (98). Happy with my score, but this is about 30 points lower than Step 2 and 20 points lower than Step 1. Whatever. Done with this ******ed test and the complete wallet-robbing piece of $*&$ racket that is the USMLE. Good-bye step exams, hello moonlighting.