Any program director refused to sign off to get your permanent medical license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderingMonkey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you know, most if not all states require proof that you completed the minimum years of requirement (1 year residency for most states)

Does anyone know of any program director, for various reasons, refused to sign the paper after one has completed their 1st year residency? Like maybe the PD could be upset for the resident quitting the residency program?

Could they even legally refuse to sign/send documentation? I mean if you finish the minimum requirement for a particular State, wherever State you want to go the PD will sign it right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never heard of that happening. [not a lawyer] I would imagine that, provided you legitimately completed the requisite number of years for licensure, a PD would be exposing himself to a lawsuit by flat out refusing to perform such a duty. [/not a lawyer] If you're concerned about this, then send the relevant forms via certified mail.

I just saw this, depending on the state its may not be a simple letter of completion, but there may also be a character evaluation! So the PD could screw you over.