MA medical license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adlib1999

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can get someone’s advice. I have heard MA medical license is quite tough. I am a practicing physician in practice for 5 years. I had to withdraw from one of the MA training programs midway through my first year of fellowship and relocated to a different state and started my fellowship over. I have an active license in 2 other states. Do you guys think this will be grounds for my license being denied? I’m super nervous about the implications of a denied state license. Has anyone been in a similar situation regarding MA licensure?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I can get someone’s advice. I have heard MA medical license is quite tough. I am a practicing physician in practice for 5 years. I had to withdraw from one of the MA training programs midway through my first year of fellowship and relocated to a different state and started my fellowship over. I have an active license in 2 other states. Do you guys think this will be grounds for my license being denied? I’m super nervous about the implications of a denied state license. Has anyone been in a similar situation regarding MA licensure?
Mass takes forever! Allot at least 6-8 mo this for one…I was a fellow with an active training license, applied for my full license for my 2nd year in January and didn’t get it until the end of June! I literally had to take my paperwork to the medical boards office!
If your training license wasn’t revoked, but just ended, then shouldn’t be a problem… but that MA board…who knows?

My training license expired. I left the training program bc of personal issues. No disciplinary action was taken but i dod have to repeat the year somewhere else

Mass takes forever! Allot at least 6-8 mo this for one…I was a fellow with an active training license, applied for my full license for my 2nd year in January and didn’t get it until the end of June! I literally had to take my paperwork to the medical boards office!
If your training license wasn’t revoked, but just ended, then shouldn’t be a problem… but that MA board…who knows?
My training license expired. I left the training program bc of personal issues. No disciplinary action was taken but i dod have to repeat the year somewhere else. Is that a red flag?

My training license expired. I left the training program bc of personal issues. No disciplinary action was taken but i dod have to repeat the year somewhere else. Is that a red flag?
Probably not…they ask for verification of your licenses, you will have to include the training license, but if it just ended, then prolly not an issue.
You have to explain any gaps, so if switching fellowships cause a gap, you will need to put something down.
It just takes a long time.
Would just try to call the board and ask.

Probably not…they ask for verification of your licenses, you will have to include the training license, but if it just ended, then prolly not an issue.
You have to explain any gaps, so if switching fellowships cause a gap, you will need to put something down.
It just takes a long time.
Would just try to call the board and ask.
Thanks for your help!

I'm not licensed in MA but if it's anything like other states, this sort of circumstance is very unlikely to lead to a denial - but it may lead to a manual review by at least some subset of the board, which can add a few months on to an already lengthy process (and may require you to be physically called before them to answer some questions - hopefully that's switched to a Zoom process by now). If you do plan on getting that license, apply at *least* 6 months in advance, and probably 9+ if you can swing it.

I agree with everyone - the application is long but I'll add it's not completely not unfair. As long as you haven't had any issues with probation, expulsions, suspensions, license being revoked....then you should be fine. It just takes a long time. As Rokshana said; I applied for mine in Feb and didn't hear until mid June. It was inconvenient and annoying.

As others have said, the BORIM in Massachusetts is not significantly more strict that any other state licensing board when it comes to actually evaluating physicians for licensure. They just make the process of getting your initial license unnecessarily onerous and prolonged. Stuff like requiring you to submit your AMA profile with your application, just ridiculous and serves no actual purpose.

This is compared to just south in Connecticut, where the entire application can be filled out online and they give decisions in less than a month. Lots of people have applied for licenses in both CT and MA. I wonder how many were granted a license in CT with their easy process, but not granted a license in MA because their ridiculous process unearthed some disqualifying detail. My guess would be it's close to zero...