Any PC Enthusiasts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like you can just mine eth with 3080 and get $9/day. No reason to buy a sh1ttier card than 3080 when it will pay for it self in 3 months. If someone wants to buy a fake coin, why the hell not get a GPU for free as well.

Lol I probably should just mine then, I have so much excess electricity at EOY with my PV array (that only nets me wholesale rates of $0.03/kW), I might as well put it to better use.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I probably should just mine then, I have so much excess electricity at EOY with my PV array (that only nets me wholesale rates of $0.03/kW), I might as well put it to better use.
Using my laptop instead of using my space heater lmao

1.png

Last edited:
Anyone play Star Wars Squadrons? I'm getting addicted to the dogfighting.

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s an SDN discord? Sorry other thread got locked and Discord related to PC gaming lol

There’s an SDN discord? Sorry other thread got locked and Discord related to PC gaming lol
SDN is afraid their ad $$$ is gone if people are moving on to discord lmao. No traffic no money.

I'm a PC gamer myself, though being the old guy I am, I tend to play older titles. I'm an avid WC3 player, still play Diablo 2 a little (hyped for the remaster!), and classic FPS games like Doom and Quake. Recently played through Ion Fury and enjoyed it.

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t even need 60 fps on a flight sim (blasphemy! lol)

I really wanted to build a new rig this year with that newly announced “$329” RTX 3060 card for February, but that’s literally the worst idea ever... and good luck ever finding it. Used 1660’s on eBay are like $300-$500 right now.
I just snagged a 3060 today for $400. Reviews show it's very close in performance to my current 5700 XT, but I'm still going to use the 3060 because it has lower power consumption and temps and newer features like ray tracing and DLSS. Will put the 5700 on fleabay. Saw some go for $950!

I just snagged a 3060 today for $400. Reviews show it's very close in performance to my current 5700 XT, but I'm still going to use the 3060 because it has lower power consumption and temps and newer features like ray tracing and DLSS. Will put the 5700 on fleabay. Saw some go for $950!
Probably coz you can't mine with the new 3060. half hash rate. They want that hash rate.

I want mrsp 3080 / 3090 at minimum, I'll just mine for 3 months it'll be free lol.

Probably coz you can't mine with the new 3060. half hash rate. They want that hash rate.

I want mrsp 3080 / 3090 at minimum, I'll just mine for 3 months it'll be free lol.
Do you track your mining for taxes? I don't mine or do any cryptos because I don't want the hassle of taxes.

Do you track your mining for taxes? I don't mine or do any cryptos because I don't want the hassle of taxes.
If you wanna be on the up and up, mining income - graphics card/all computer parts - electricity will produce a loss for you.

I caved and paid a scalper $900 for a 3070 Vision OC (white - it’s sexy), which is more than what I spent building the entire rig (I went with an MSI B550 board + Ryzen 3600).

This was two weeks ago, MSRP on that card was like $620 + tax, and I’ve mined about $60 of ETH so far. Also, I see that card is now going for $1100-1200...my goal was to mine my way back to MSRP, I’ll get there soon. I really want a 3080 at MSRP (+ $200 max), but that’s going for $2k scalped and this 3070 is perfectly fine.

Good job on the 3060 snag today @pezdispenser, I tried getting one to sell to a friend (at cost) and no luck. It pretty much performs like a 2060 super...it’s nerfed for ETH mining, but apparently you can mine other algos and it works (octopus). Let us know how that goes.

Anyway, my Noctua cooler arrives tomorrow (not the giant one), though this stock cooler from AMD has been okay. It just gets unacceptably hot under load.

Of note, I bought a 140mm case fan from Fry’s about a week before they closed. Kind of sad, that was where I went for my first build. But that store was in a sorry state...worse than the empty Sears stores before they went bk.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

I've had my 3080 for about 4 months now. Runs like a dream.

lol, I got called a ***** on a discord server for doing that. I technically paid maybe +$200 over MSRP? The 3080 markup is stupid ($2k for an FE? shaddappp)

I’ll get that one eventually, probably go in stock when the 4080 is announced, hahah.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, I got called a ***** on a discord server for doing that. I technically paid maybe +$200 over MSRP? The 3080 markup is stupid ($2k for an FE? shaddappp)

I’ll get that one eventually, probably go in stock when the 4080 is announced, hahah.
I wish you had asked. You could have bought a 30L and threw away the computer.

Puget Sound Computers would have also sold you one for less. But without MicroCenter or Frys, it's a tough world.

If you wanna be on the up and up, mining income - graphics card/all computer parts - electricity will produce a loss for you.
I think you have to setup a self employed business in order to make those deductions, and then you still have to track mining income and electricity as well. I think that's more trouble than it's worth for a couple of hundred dollars per month. Heck there's so much OT available right now due to COVID that I'd rather just pick up an extra shift.

I caved and paid a scalper $900 for a 3070 Vision OC (white - it’s sexy), which is more than what I spent building the entire rig (I went with an MSI B550 board + Ryzen 3600).

This was two weeks ago, MSRP on that card was like $620 + tax, and I’ve mined about $60 of ETH so far. Also, I see that card is now going for $1100-1200...my goal was to mine my way back to MSRP, I’ll get there soon. I really want a 3080 at MSRP (+ $200 max), but that’s going for $2k scalped and this 3070 is perfectly fine.

Good job on the 3060 snag today @pezdispenser, I tried getting one to sell to a friend (at cost) and no luck. It pretty much performs like a 2060 super...it’s nerfed for ETH mining, but apparently you can mine other algos and it works (octopus). Let us know how that goes.

Anyway, my Noctua cooler arrives tomorrow (not the giant one), though this stock cooler from AMD has been okay. It just gets unacceptably hot under load.

Of note, I bought a 140mm case fan from Fry’s about a week before they closed. Kind of sad, that was where I went for my first build. But that store was in a sorry state...worse than the empty Sears stores before they went bk.
Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I should warn you though that FS2020 didn't run that well on my Ryzen 7 3700X, and there was a 20-30% improvement in fps when I went to the 5600X even with the same GPU 5700 XT and the same rest of system. So I think your 3600 might bottleneck your 3070.

I think you have to setup a self employed business in order to make those deductions, and then you still have to track mining income and electricity as well. I think that's more trouble than it's worth for a couple of hundred dollars per month. Heck there's so much OT available right now due to COVID that I'd rather just pick up an extra shift.
Yeah, it's easy to put 1099-MISC as sole proprietor. It's literally putting a number in just like any other tax return. No, you don't have to issue a 1099 to yourself. Do Sole Proprietors Give Themselves a 1099? File on schedule C and take as much deduction you are qualified for as long as it is legit (i.e room for mining rig).

This yr I'll do it for the $5300 trial vaccine I got minus all the mileage to go the the testing site. Last yr, I did Doordash income minus mileage deduction+new phone+phone bill as a sole proprietorship.

Last edited:

I was debating buying a prebuilt and stripping the card, but I just wasn’t happy with the deals I was finding on slickdeals. Plus I wanted a specific card to match the white build, lol.

Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I should warn you though that FS2020 didn't run that well on my Ryzen 7 3700X, and there was a 20-30% improvement in fps when I went to the 5600X even with the same GPU 5700 XT and the same rest of system. So I think your 3600 might bottleneck your 3070.

That’s my gut feeling, but a) I don’t seek fps on FS2020 anyway and b) I don’t notice my CPU working particularly hard. How are your RAM timings? I’m running 3600/CL16, I wonder if it’s the memory controller that’s driving the improvement? I’ve heard not the best things about the 3600 controller.

Anyway, I got the B550 board with the intent to upgrade the CPU in a year or two when stock/prices get better. My other games look pretty good (but not 3080 good, lol).

That’s my gut feeling, but a) I don’t seek fps on FS2020 anyway and b) I don’t notice my CPU working particularly hard. How are your RAM timings? I’m running 3600/CL16, I wonder if it’s the memory controller that’s driving the improvement? I’ve heard not the best things about the 3600 controller.

Anyway, I got the B550 board with the intent to upgrade the CPU in a year or two when stock/prices get better. My other games look pretty good (but not 3080 good, lol).
I'm running 32GB 3600/CL16 but I think it's mostly to do with the architectural improvements they made with Zen 3. Games including FS2020 aren't optimized to fully utilize all cores, so you're not going to see 100% CPU utilization. Maybe only 20-40%. So the workload often gets transferred from core to core. With Zen 2 they use 3 or 4 core complexes connected by the Infinity Fabric, so when the workload jumps to a different CCX there will be additional latency which can cause slowdowns in games. Zen 3 now has up to 8 cores per die, so the 5600X and 5800X don't have this problem. Plus they made 19% IPC improvement so Zen 3 chips are easily the best for gaming right now.

The stock situation is getting better. 5800X is in stock right now for $449: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 100-100000063WOF Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

I'm running 32GB 3600/CL16 but I think it's mostly to do with the architectural improvements they made with Zen 3. Games including FS2020 aren't optimized to fully utilize all cores, so you're not going to see 100% CPU utilization. Maybe only 20-40%. So the workload often gets transferred from core to core. With Zen 2 they use 3 or 4 core complexes connected by the Infinity Fabric, so when the workload jumps to a different CCX there will be additional latency which can cause slowdowns in games. Zen 3 now has up to 8 cores per die, so the 5600X and 5800X don't have this problem. Plus they made 19% IPC improvement so Zen 3 chips are easily the best for gaming right now.

The stock situation is getting better. 5800X is in stock right now for $449: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 100-100000063WOF Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Thank you sir:..looks like my upgrade will be sooner than “a year or two.”

On the cooling front, my single fan Noctua dropped my cpu temps 10C compared to stock, so I’m pretty happy today

@pezdispenser

Did some messing around, FS2020 @ 4K on Ultra I’m getting about 40-45fps. CPU is OC’d to 4350/1.35V. GPU load consistent 80-85%.

Put CPU back to stock, 35-40fps with GPU load 60-70%.

Yeah, a Zen 3 would be nice, but this looks pretty good.

@pezdispenser

Did some messing around, FS2020 @ 4K on Ultra I’m getting about 40-45fps. CPU is OC’d to 4350/1.35V. GPU load consistent 80-85%.

Put CPU back to stock, 35-40fps with GPU load 60-70%.

Yeah, a Zen 3 would be nice, but this looks pretty good.
Nice. Normally I just let PBO do its thing so it can boost or power down the cores individually, but 4350 is already over the default PBO boost limit so that's pretty impressive. How are your temps with that Noctua cooler? I just have an Arctic Freezer 34 and the CPU only gets up to 65-70C so it's fine.

If you still want to be tempted, I'm seeing the 5600X come back in stock here and there for $300. They PBO boost up to 4650MHz stock and I've seen some people do all-core OC around that speed. Btw, I sold my 3700X for $265 on fleabay and my 5700 XT is currently bidding at $706.

Nice. Normally I just let PBO do its thing so it can boost or power down the cores individually, but 4350 is already over the default PBO boost limit so that's pretty impressive. How are your temps with that Noctua cooler? I just have an Arctic Freezer 34 and the CPU only gets up to 65-70C so it's fine.

If you still want to be tempted, I'm seeing the 5600X come back in stock here and there for $300. They PBO boost up to 4650MHz stock and I've seen some people do all-core OC around that speed. Btw, I sold my 3700X for $265 on fleabay and my 5700 XT is currently bidding at $706.

I have my eye on the 5900X for CPU upgrade, I just don’t want to pay $549 for it. Hoping to see a price cut by the end of this year to $450. IIRC they dropped the 3900X price from $500 to $400 about a year after launch. I’m mentally planning having to go with an AIO cooling solution, but I have faith I can just slap a second fan onto my Noctua and be okay.

And that Noctua is performing great...it dropped my idle temp like 10 degrees, and under full load it barely climbs above 70C (was hitting thermal throttle with the stock cooler...90-95). I can actually turn off all my case fans and never climb above 80C under load. I actually customized the case fan curves to run slower at idle/light load.

That cooler can theoretically handle the 5900X just fine...if I had to get the bigger D15 cooler, I’d go AIO.

Okay hardware upgrade wishlist as I get around to it:

1) +16GB RAM ($115)
2) Replace current 500GB Gen3 NVMe to 1TB Gen4 NVMe SSD. ($150)
3) PCIe 4.0 riser cable so I can vertically mount my GPU...I don’t know why it bothers me, but I want it vertical for aesthetic reasons. I think the airflow in my case is good enough to make up for the intake fans being close to the side panel. ($75)

Oh and I found every spare HDD and SSD I had laying around and threw it in here...now I have 2TB RAID-1 HDD + 1TB SATA SSD + 500GB NVMe Gen3 SSD + random 500GB hard drive from my old computer all strung together.

I have my eye on the 5900X for CPU upgrade, I just don’t want to pay $549 for it. Hoping to see a price cut by the end of this year to $450. IIRC they dropped the 3900X price from $500 to $400 about a year after launch. I’m mentally planning having to go with an AIO cooling solution, but I have faith I can just slap a second fan onto my Noctua and be okay.

And that Noctua is performing great...it dropped my idle temp like 10 degrees, and under full load it barely climbs above 70C (was hitting thermal throttle with the stock cooler...90-95). I can actually turn off all my case fans and never climb above 80C under load. I actually customized the case fan curves to run slower at idle/light load.

That cooler can theoretically handle the 5900X just fine...if I had to get the bigger D15 cooler, I’d go AIO.

Okay hardware upgrade wishlist as I get around to it:

1) +16GB RAM ($115)
2) Replace current 500GB Gen3 NVMe to 1TB Gen4 NVMe SSD. ($150)
3) PCIe 4.0 riser cable so I can vertically mount my GPU...I don’t know why it bothers me, but I want it vertical for aesthetic reasons. I think the airflow in my case is good enough to make up for the intake fans being close to the side panel. ($75)

Oh and I found every spare HDD and SSD I had laying around and threw it in here...now I have 2TB RAID-1 HDD + 1TB SATA SSD + 500GB NVMe Gen3 SSD + random 500GB hard drive from my old computer all strung together.
Yeah Zen 3 is kinda pricey, especially the 5800X for $449, while Intel 10th gen CPUs are starting to look more attractive. I saw the i7-10700KF for $310 and i9-10850K for $395. But they use tons of power and put out lots of heat, like 250W when overclocked, because they're still on 14 nm. AMD 7 nm CPUs are a lot better so your Noctua should be fine.

I got a QNAP NAS with 2 NVMe slots, 6 HDD bays and 10 gigabit ethernet and threw all my old HDDs in there. In RAID5 it can do 250 MB/s over the network, so I don't put any HDDs in my PCs anymore which makes them really quiet.

Oh and my 5700 XT sold for $926 on fleabay.

graphic card prices are insane. rx 570 for $349??

Yes they are, though I wonder if the AMD releases will help. Probably not.

lol I paid $900 for an aib 3070, tbf it performs like a 2080 Ti and that was $1200 at launch. I’ve since mined back $150 so my net price is now $750 and dropping. MSRP on this card is $619.99.

Still want a 3080 + Zen 3, perhaps later. So long as these cards produce $$ they’ll be inflated.

Ripped the GeForce 1060 3GB out of my old computer and sold it on fleabay for $200. I believe that was the original release price for it... back in 2016 :oops:

• Wow
Holy crap. BRB, I'm taking the 1070 out of my VR gaming PC. I'll just use my laptop if need be. It's got a 1660ti. We good.
I'm just going to part out that whole system. I put its i7-8700 on eBay, went to take a piss, came back and it was already sold at the Buy It Now price of $200. I think a 1070 should get you at least $450.

Gonna finally try running 2 RTX 2080tis with NVLINK. Took me a long time to find a 3 slot NVLINK bridge (apparently they were discontinued???). Just came yesterday. Had spare 2080ti which I wasn't using so curious to see what (if any) improvement I get. I've read all sorts of results, mostly dependent on specific game support.

I'm just going to part out that whole system. I put its i7-8700 on eBay, went to take a piss, came back and it was already sold at the Buy It Now price of $200. I think a 1070 should get you at least $450.

Lol. I just searched Ebay for my ROG STRIX 1070. **** is going for 450 used. That's insane.

I just got 5900x + 3080. Coz why not.

• Love
Must be nice. I can't get ahold of a 3080 anywhere.
You can win a raffle for 3080 at microcenter or Newegg. Or, become an evga elite member for their discount and queue.

You can win a raffle for 3080 at microcenter or Newegg. Or, become an evga elite member for their discount and queue.

I don't even want to talk about the "newegg shuffle." It's complete bull****. I've probably been signed up for 30 of them and haven't won a single thing. Not to mention I have no need of a crappy mobo or power supply they tack on there to boost their sales.

I don't even want to talk about the "newegg shuffle." It's complete bull****. I've probably been signed up for 30 of them and haven't won a single thing. Not to mention I have no need of a crappy mobo or power supply they tack on there to boost their sales.
One of my friends legit won after 2 tries lol.

OfferUp/CL and ebay to sell the garbo.

Yeah I got my 5600X and 3060 from the Newegg Shuffle. I now have a 3070 Ti coming in from EVGA Elite. So I'll sell the 3060 and hopefully combined with the profits from the Radeon 5700 XT that I sold a few months ago for $926, I'll have enough to make the 3070 Ti almost free. :D

I also got an Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 mm water cooler and a new SAMA IM01 compact case. Build posted here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mG4nTW

I gave up on shuffle, I might try again later.

Mined about $600 back from my $900 3070, I just haven’t had time lately to do anything. Contemplating selling the 3070 and picking up a 3080 Ti when availability eventually comes back and at MSRP next year.

Rig is gathering dust and I feel bad.

Do you really believe these things will EVER sell at MSRP again? I'd really like to believe that.....

Damn, congrats to those who scooped up a RTX 300 series. Anyone able to snag a 3080ti?

I was finally able to get a 5900x, 3070 founder edition, and Asus x570 Dark hero. Really wanted a 3080 FE but its impossible lol

Damn, congrats to those who scooped up a RTX 300 series. Anyone able to snag a 3080ti?
I tried to campout at bb at 8pm the day before release, parking lot was packed. They told me the list was over 80 people deep, over 80 people were camped outside the building and they only had 64 cards.

I thought I was early.

SOL.

I tried to campout at bb at 8pm the day before release, parking lot was packed. They told me the list was over 80 people deep, over 80 people were camped outside the building and they only had 64 cards.

I thought I was early.

SOL.

Why camp out for a card that is marginally better in performance from a stock 3080 but significantly more expensive?