Any married folks out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prestige_Vision

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

To start off, I am not really looking for someone who will say that it can be done. I am extremely confident and we have a great support system in place whenever the time comes to apply and attend Optometry school. I created this thread mainly for those individuals who are currently married who are planning on attending Optometry school, those who are in Optometry school who are married and those who attended Optometry school while they had a family (spouse, kids, etc.) You can post about however your experience has been through the preparation process or how it has been during and after schooling. Tips for people in the same lifestyle and anything else that can be useful. Anyone with significant others moving to optometry school with them is also more than welcome to elaborate. I look forward to hearing the different things individuals and families are doing to prep or what they have done.

Kind Regards

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

To start off, I am not really looking for someone who will say that it can be done. I am extremely confident and we have a great support system in place whenever the time comes to apply and attend Optometry school. I created this thread mainly for those individuals who are currently married who are planning on attending Optometry school, those who are in Optometry school who are married and those who attended Optometry school while they had a family (spouse, kids, etc.) You can post about however your experience has been through the preparation process or how it has been during and after schooling. Tips for people in the same lifestyle and anything else that can be useful. Anyone with significant others moving to optometry school with them is also more than welcome to elaborate. I look forward to hearing the different things individuals and families are doing to prep or what they have done.

Kind Regards

Not married, but I did long distance (2000 miles) for my first 16 months of OD school. He flew every 6 weeks to see me. He Ended up moving out to California during fall of my second year. We just got engaged this past March (right before NBEO part 1). It’s had its ups and downs but having a support system financially and emotionally through the process has been helpful. The hardest part , at least, from my side was balancing the constant studying with quality time to my fiancé. I have classmates who are married and/or have kids. Honestly don’t know how the ones with kids do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not married, but cohabitating during optometry school. Few married couples in my class and a LOT of long term relationships. People who live together study together, so you may have to put forth more effort to establish friendships.

The biggest thing you miss out on is social events, since there isn’t always room for significant others and you may not want to engage in bar drinking anyway. That said, there are a lot of opportunities for them to meet your class (depending on where you go) and become a welcome face to your friends!

No one in my class had kids, but people in the class above and below did. For one of them the wife stayed home with the kids while he attended school and he often stayed on campus to study. Another parent relied heavily on child care programs.

I imagine it is difficult, as even without kids managing time can be a challenge during boards and finals seasons. Your spouse is a great support system though! I love having mine around. Often, my days were much longer than my SOs and even though we live together our schedules didn’t always line up so some parts of the year were rough in terms of quality time together. I think a lot of this may be dependent on which school you attend though.