Any of you guys own a handgun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you suggest a Beretta Px4 to a first-time hand-gun owner?

I think OldManDave makes some great points (right above your post). But, I think the Px4 is a very comfortable gun to shoot. Recoil in the .40 S&W is manageable. It is an accurate gun. It also comes in 9mm, if you'd rather have that caliber.

So, yes. I think it's a fine first gun. It's a bit like buying a Corvette for a first car, though (notice I didn't say Porsche).

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

I think OldManDave makes some great points (right above your post). But, I think the Px4 is a very comfortable gun to shoot. Recoil in the .40 S&W is manageable. It is an accurate gun. It also comes in 9mm, if you'd rather have that caliber.

So, yes. I think it's a fine first gun. It's a bit like buying a Corvette for a first car, though (notice I didn't say Porsche).

-copro

Is it a difficult process to get a gun license? I seriously would be a complete newbie to this process.

Would the 9mm have less kick?

Is it a difficult process to get a gun license? I seriously would be a complete newbie to this process.

Would the 9mm have less kick?

Here's what you do, Maximus.

Find a local gun range in your area. Go down there and tell them you want them to teach you how to shoot. They'll probably make you buy the bullets there and possibly pay a gun rental fee, but you'll be able to shoot a few different guns in a few different calibers.

As far as "gun licenses" go, thanks to the 4th Amendment there really is no such thing. Laws vary a bit by state, but basically once you clear the background check and (maybe) have to wait for a "cooling off" period, the gun is yours. If you want to carry the weapon around with you, that's where it gets a little trickier. You have to apply for a Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permit, and this allows you (depending on your State) to legally carry a loaded weapon (or a knife longer than 3" or nunchuks, etc.) on your person. Again, laws vary depending on state.

But, you don't need this to legally own and shoot a handgun. And, you can keep the thing loaded in your house all you want (etc.) provided you don't try to carry it concealed outside without a permit. AND, even if you have a CCW permit, you can't "brandish" the weapon or risk being arrested. You are only allowed with a CCW to have it concealed on your person and pull it out if you are threatened with deadly force.

Long story short, probably best (as a complete newbie) to go to a good gun training course. Check a local gun range. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out. Most of those guys are, believe it or not, incredibly nice and helpful. Just don't get too wrapped up in it and do something like make an impulse purchase there. While nice, helpful people interested in teaching you about guns, they are definitely NOT generally known for being reputable and upstanding salesmen.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
My little brother is right hand/left eye. Sadly, we didn't realize this until after we got him a right handed bow...

I always wondered about this. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've fired plenty of rifles (not many hand guns). I was never told to go to the left side. I've tried with rifles a few times and it felt kind of awkward. I shot fine, but it was a slight more hesitation.

Here's what you do, Maximus.

Find a local gun range in your area. Go down there and tell them you want them to teach you how to shoot. They'll probably make you buy the bullets there and possibly pay a gun rental fee, but you'll be able to shoot a few different guns in a few different calibers.

As far as "gun licenses" go, thanks to the 4th Amendment there really is no such thing. Laws vary a bit by state, but basically once you clear the background check and (maybe) have to wait for a "cooling off" period, the gun is yours. If you want to carry the weapon around with you, that's where it gets a little trickier. You have to apply for a Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permit, and this allows you (depending on your State) to legally carry a loaded weapon (or a knife longer than 3" or nunchuks, etc.) on your person. Again, laws vary depending on state.

But, you don't need this to legally own and shoot a handgun. And, you can keep the thing loaded in your house all you want (etc.) provided you don't try to carry it concealed outside without a permit. AND, even if you have a CCW permit, you can't "brandish" the weapon or risk being arrested. You are only allowed with a CCW to have it concealed on your person and pull it out if you are threatened with deadly force.

Long story short, probably best (as a complete newbie) to go to a good gun training course. Check a local gun range. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out. Most of those guys are, believe it or not, incredibly nice and helpful. Just don't get too wrapped up in it and do something like make an impulse purchase there. While nice, helpful people interested in teaching you about guns, they are definitely NOT generally known for being reputable and upstanding salesmen.

-copro

Good info. Thanks!

Venty,

As an afficianado of firearms & hobby target shooter, I would advise you, esp as someone new to shooting, to not start out with a hand-cannon. I will grant you, they are lots of fun to shoot & I can get a bit of a charge from the stairs of others as "Burtha" launches another VW-sized projectile downrange. However, if you want to learn to be a proficient & accurate handgun shooter & to enjoy shooting the damned thing beyond 1-clips worth of shells, do yourself a favor & start on the lighter end. Generations of shooters, myself included, learned the fundamentals shooting 22LR. There's is no recoil to learn to deal with allowing your skills to evolve without having to cope with hurting hands or wrists. Once you have the techniques down, it is far easier to move up into the big boys. And, in the long run, you will be a much more accurate pistolero.

If you are worried that the guys will make fun of you for a pop gun, start with any of the myriad of 9mm pistols. Minimal recoil, but damned fine shooters.

Too late dude. Glock 23. Done deal.

Sorry, Second Amendment, not Fourth (but the Fourth helps in that you don't have to tell anyone you have a gun in your house, unless they produce a search warrant).

-copro

Actually there are a number of states that require a permit to purchase a handgun. NC, Iowa, MN and of course NY off the top of my head. Take a look at this:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/schools/gun.control/

David Carpenter, PA-C

Which is why you should check your local regulations. NY, I know, is one of the toughest handgun states. You actually have to have a fired bullet and a casing submitted to the state crime lab's "firearm library" in Albany if you are going to legally own a handgun in that state. Communists. :laugh:

-copro

P.S. And, I said "gun", not necessarily handgun. Rifles and shotguns seem to be universally excepted. Handguns are more open to interpretation by individual states. Also, you have to get federal clearance (BATF) to own certain things like short-barreled shotguns and silencers, but you can still own them... which is sort of the point. I'm not at all against legal ownership and requisite registration of handguns, which is why I don't implicitly support the efforts of the NRA (i.e., the thinly-veiled gun lobby, who [perhaps unwittingly] puts more guns in the hands of people who shouldn't have them simply to support the business practices of manufacturers questionable marketing tactics). But, that's a separate discussion....

I always wondered about this. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've fired plenty of rifles (not many hand guns). I was never told to go to the left side. I've tried with rifles a few times and it felt kind of awkward. I shot fine, but it was a slight more hesitation.

I'm the same way, as are a lot of people I know. Right or wrong, I shoot bows right-handed, Robin Hood style, or try to squint my left-eye enough to use a peep, shotguns either or (whichever shoulder hurts less), rifles lefty, and prefer pistols in the strong hand but aiming with left-eye. That's probably so wrong, but a lot of handguns are made only for a right-handed shooter anyway. I can't really wink my left-eye very well.

Oh yeah, paintball guns mostly righty, but only 'cuz I can work my right fingers faster :thumbup:

I can't even imagine shooting a bow left handed. I must've learned to compensate well. I am a very good shot with a bow. I think depending on your stance, a pistol is probably a little easier to adjust with than a rifle. The few times I learned, I learned with a modified weaver stance. All the other ones feel kind of uncomfortable to me.

It's probably a lot like asking magicians their secrets, especially since SDN isn't always as anonymous as we probably like to believe, but do you guys that CCW (of course not IN the hospital, because of rules and such ;)) find that you use more traditional means, i.e. inside/outside belt, lumbar, etc, or do you lean toward methods that might place a pistol away from your immediate person, but allow access, like bags or cases, whatever.

And not necessarily in what I would call street clothes; more in the occasional suit/Dr. "get-up". A front belt in t-shirt/jeans is no biggie; in a shirt and tie it's a little different.

do you guys that CCW (of course not IN the hospital, because of rules and such ;)) find that you use more traditional means, i.e. inside/outside belt, lumbar, etc, or do you lean toward methods that might place a pistol away from your immediate person, but allow access, like bags or cases, whatever.

I have an array of holsters to give me carry options to fit whatever clothes I want to wear that day. Some of the most versatile ones include the "thunderwear" type, belly-band, and a few others.

I taught CCW classes for 6 years, and I always enjoyed when we got to the holsters section - I typically had 8 pistols on me that no one suspected, to demonstrate the various options. After you pull out #4 and keep going, it gets the attention of the class.

I think the key is to just have sufficient holsters/carry gear to fit whatever you're wanting.

I don't necessarily think having it nearby but not necessarily on you is a bad thing. Maybe not ideal, but it's important to realize that firearms are intended to deliver force from a safe distance. If an assailant is armed and close to me, I'm taking his gun & breaking his arm, and probably using my knife.

Members don't see this ad :)
... do you guys that CCW (of course not IN the hospital, because of rules and such ;)) find that you use more traditional means

Well, my CCW is my P3AT and I have a clip on it. It goes inside the front part of whichever particular pair of pants I'm wearing. You absolutely cannot tell I'm carrying. I can get it out in about 4 seconds. I don't leave one in the chamber when I'm carrying that way, though. There's no safety on that particular gun and, after all, carrying that way the barrel is pointing directly at my junk. Pretty heavy trigger pull for such a small gun, but you never know... (cuz' I know everyone at the hospital who would be examining my pee-pee if something accidentally went "boom" in my pants... that thought alone... so, I'm content that I'd have to dig it out in 4 seconds and rack-it one time to be ready to fire... probably not ideal).

-copro

but do you guys that CCW (of course not IN the hospital, because of rules and such ;)) find that you use more traditional means, i.e. inside/outside belt, lumbar, etc, or do you lean toward methods that might place a pistol away from your immediate person, but allow access, like bags or cases, whatever.

When i carry (not in the hospital due to this state's laws) I carry IWB (in the waist band) I've thought about getting a shoulder harness, but just haven't had the time or funds currently. I do not like lumbar or appendix carry as I find it uncomfortable, I carry somewhere between 3-4:30 on my right side.

There are companies such as Milt Sparks which make holsters which are concealable and would easily blend in with Business professional attire with little to no indication except the very firearm knowledgeable that you're carrying.

I do not like the idea of carrying in bags/cases/etc, especially for women.

I have an array of holsters to give me carry options to fit whatever clothes I want to wear that day. Some of the most versatile ones include the "thunderwear" type, belly-band, and a few others.

I always hated the belly-band style of holsters, but I guess as a 1911 owner, that kinda makes me a snob for accessories.

I taught CCW classes for 6 years, and I always enjoyed when we got to the holsters section - I typically had 8 pistols on me that no one suspected, to demonstrate the various options. After you pull out #4 and keep going, it gets the attention of the class.

:laugh: like salt creep is alluding too, there is no one set way, you need to find what is comfortable for you.

I don't necessarily think having it nearby but not necessarily on you is a bad thing. Maybe not ideal, but it's important to realize that firearms are intended to deliver force from a safe distance. If an assailant is armed and close to me, I'm taking his gun & breaking his arm, and probably using my knife.

My only point with this here, is most uses of firearms are within spitting distance, but like Salt Creep, if you are wanting to have the firearm to be prepared for anything, then you should also be prepared for a bare knuckle fight as well.

like salt creep is alluding too, there is no one set way, you need to find what is comfortable for you.

Exactly - that's what I was not-so-succintly trying to say.

My only point with this here, is most uses of firearms are within spitting distance, but like Salt Creep, if you are wanting to have the firearm to be prepared for anything, then you should also be prepared for a bare knuckle fight as well.

And what I said should be considered, as you're pointing out, in the reality that most uses are within 7 yards. They're designed to deliver force from a (hopefully safe) distance, but often not used that way.

I dont own a gun, but I will, as soon as I turn 21 and move out of dorm housing.

Right now, I settle for hand to hand combat :)

Sounds like somebody needs to learn how to shoot from Center Axis Relock, and not just Weaver stance. You gun is a close quarters combat weapon, and quite effective.

Look for yourself. Learn it. (Good luck for a few years if you don't have law enforcement training. Until then rely on your knife... I'll be using my gun.http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/Reload.mpg)

http://www.sabretactical.com/High_Speed_Video/VTS_02_0.mpg

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/Reaction.mpg

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/Failure_Drill.mpg

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/Shotgun.mpg

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/Speed_2.mpg

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/45.mpg

And Mr. Freeze... best way to carry a small-framed CCW? Ankle holster. They're amazing.

Well I certainly don't just shoot Weaver, but I do respect edged weapons. Check out the Talon Shield course from the Gun Site.

I'm saying that a firearm is designed to deliver force from a distance - that's their purpose. If someone trains with a firearm extensively and prepares to use it in extreme CQ, that's great. Under extreme stress, we do what we have prepared and practiced - including nothing.

I believe in the stopping power of standing arm bars and proper use of edged weapons over even my .45

I do like his shotgun though - looks like the one in my bedroom.

I do like his shotgun though - looks like the one in my bedroom.

Yeah, it bears remarkable resemblance to the one behind my dresser...

And Mr. Freeze... best way to carry a small-framed CCW? Ankle holster. They're amazing.

I've seen 5'2" woman conceal a full size 1911 easily. I wouldn't use an ankle holster as my first, second, or third choices for concealed locations. If I'm in a situation where I need to pull my gun, I don't want to have to bend down to get it.

Hernandez, there is a big difference between "easily" concealing a 1911, and wearing a weapon to your clinic in dress duds. Bumping your firearm while auscultating the heart is kind of unprofessional, in my opinion. And if you get a quality ankle holster, your draw times are only fractions of a second slower than fumbling through your belt and shirt to remove your "easily" concealed 1911.

Also, if you've ever had somebody try to forcibly remove your CCW from your waist, it's about 20 times easier than your ankle.

Also, if you've ever had somebody try to forcibly remove your CCW from your waist, it's about 20 times easier than your ankle.

If someone is trying to forcibly take your gun, (unless the man is a police officer) depending on the position, knee him, put your fingers into his eye sockets, knee him again, break his arm, and take back your gun.

Again, this is why you need a mouse gun (like my P3AT). This is .380 ACP, which is a respectable round, and I can carry 7+1 with my extendo-clip. It fits anywhere. And, trust me, you don't want to get shot with a .380 ACP round. Hell, I don't want to get shot with a .22 LR.

In the winter, I keep it in my front jacket pocket when walking around the bad parts of Philly. My hand is literally around the grip of the gun. It is so small that it just looks like I have my hands in my coat pockets. In this concealed configuration, I keep it racked. If someone approaches me, "BLAMMO"! No hesitation. No pulling it out of my jacket pocket. You just start firing.

This is, in my opinion, a pretty much invincible carrying option. It's not obvious you are carrying in "fire-ready" mode and, unless someone completely ambushes you, you will be able to get shots off.

-copro

In the winter, I keep it in my front jacket pocket when walking around the bad parts of Philly. My hand is literally around the grip of the gun. It is so small that it just looks like I have my hands in my coat pockets. In this concealed configuration, I keep it racked. If someone approaches me, "BLAMMO"! No hesitation. No pulling it out of my jacket pocket. You just start firing.

Yeah, but then you get so F'ing cold if it's winter with the holes in your coat! ;)

Bumping your firearm while auscultating the heart is kind of unprofessional, in my opinion.

you rub your butt on your pts enough for a IWB firearm to bump into pts? :hungover: Not that i carry at the clinic as it's not my personal practice yet.

And if you get a quality ankle holster, your draw times are only fractions of a second slower than fumbling through your belt and shirt to remove your "easily" concealed 1911.

whatever works best for you, but for me, it is more comfortable in the waist band, and I personally can un-tuck my shirt and pull the gun quickly and one handed. whatever method you use you should practice holster draws.

I can't say I've ever had that problem. If they're close enough to try and remove my weapon from my holster, they have my 2 hands to worry about.

you rub your butt on your pts enough for a IWB firearm to bump into pts?

I don't carry between 3 and 9. That's sloppy and slow. Primetime is carrying at 10:30 or 2. Almost like driving a car, only much more fun to operate! ;)

I was told that even with the PA concealed carriers permit you cannot have a concealed weapon in Philadelphia County. Was I misled, or is there a different permit that's required for that county?

I didn't get my CCW issued in Philadelphia County. ;)

And, I quote directly from the back of my legally obtained and currently in-effect permit: "Valid throughout the Commonewealth until expiration date indicated unless sooner revoked".

In other words, a Philly cop can't do jack if they stop me and I'm carrying.

-copro

That's awesome.

My dad and I were going to buy a USAS-12 a couple years ago,
usas-12.jpg

and we came to a gun show with the $1000 that the semi-auto version was going for. The week before, ATF had reclassified it, and you had to have a Class III FFL even for the semi-auto.

That is SO much cooler than the USAS!

Yeah, that AA-12 is awesome. The problem is the cycle time of the round. You only get 300 rounds/minute. And, I bet that thing jams a lot more than they are advertising.

Plus, the whole point of a shotgun is that you don't have to hit your target more than once. So, I'm not sure about unloading a bunch of rounds into one target. And, I still question the accuracy in multi-fire round, even with the low recoil. But, with a 32-round clip, though. I admit it's pretty awesome for the "terror" factor.

And, I would like to get a few of thos Frag-12 rounds for my Mossberg...

-copro

You only get 300 rounds/minute.

Usually a slower cycle rate on a full-auto means that it's easier to control. I can't imagine trying to hold onto a 12ga ripping out 1200 rounds/minute. An M14 isn't anywhere near that fast (or hard-hitting), but is quite a handful on full-auto.

I'd heard the Marine Corps was using the USAS for ground cover support, which it or this would be ideal for. I like how this has the ramp-up trigger that will fire semi or full - but that's a potential site of malfunction also.

And, I would like to get a few of thos Frag-12 rounds for my Mossberg...

Those are a fantastic idea. Turn your 12ga into a little 40mm launcher. I love it.

Speaking of 40 mike-mike, there's a belt fed one of those out now - that is some impressive firepower!
belt.jpg

Usually a slower cycle rate on a full-auto means that it's easier to control.

But, 300 rounds/minute is 5 rounds a second. Watch that video again. That gun ain't churning out 5 rounds a second. Maybe it's 3/sec. And, what about the jamming?

I hear ya, though, about being outta control with the recoil. But, apparently they have some blow-back mechanism that minimizes recoil in that weapon.

Hey, the thing's impressive, but I can tell you something else that sounded impressive that is an absolute P.O.S., and that is the Beta mag for the M16.

beta_CCS900.jpg

All their promo stuff says it's the next best thing since canned beer. I'll tell you from firsthand experience, though, that thing jams worse than a bad coin in a vending machine.

-copro

hungerford_david_t220.JPG

Link

Man charged with assault on his doctor in PSL

The police arrested a 51-year-old Vero Beach man after he beat a doctor with a cane during an office dispute before the doctor pulled a 9mm pistol, according to a report released Thursday.

David A. Hungerford faces aggravated battery and breach of peace charges following the Tuesday struggle that left Dr. David M. Glener, 43, with an injured right shoulder.

Glener told investigators he heard a disturbance at the front desk in his office on Southeast Lennard Road.

"(Hungerford) was loudly complaining about a bill that he received and was making wild accusations," the reportsaid.

Evaluated in July 2007, Hungerford wasn't taken as a patient "because he refused intervention pain procedures, and was only interested in receiving controlled substances."

Glener said Hungerford, who called him a "quack," refused to leave, ripping Glener's shirt and scratching him.

He also hit the Glener with a cane, who injured his shoulder. Glener, who showed officers a concealed weapons permit, got his Glock pistol and "told the suspect that he would use necessary force to defend himself."

Glener, who tore the rotator cuff in his right shoulder, said he held the pistol in an "upward position" until Hungerford left.

Glener said Hungerford said he'd show up on the popular Internet video site YouTube, where Hungerford appears in three lengthy videos discussing his situation and the incident. Hungerford later explained he'd been on a "heavy doses" of narcotics following back surgery years ago and experienced problems with doctors.

He said Glener claimed he had an outstanding bill.

"I'm not very good with confrontations so I invested in about three beers before I went there," he said. "I was very cool, calm and collected."

Days away from running out of drugs from a prior prescription, Hungerford said Glener was cold and wanted him out of his office.

"I let them go ahead and call the police," he said. "I said, 'Fine, I'd rather go to jail than to give you a penny.'"

He denied touching or harming anyone, saying he just argued about a bill.

"All the compassion came from my heart; none from theirs," he said.​

I have CCW permit and carry a SIG 239 40. in a CTAC IWB on my strong side. SIG, because I'm worth it.:D

Went through about 800 rounds over the weekend with a Heckler & Koch Mark 23. All I have to say is, WOW. Only if I had 2g's to spend on a handgun.

Not a pistol, but will be fun to plink around with if I ever get a chance...

Attachments

• Study Time.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 117
No, people out here don't use guns:smuggrin:

Ive been thinking about getting a pistol now that im moving to miami. nothing wrong with extra security.

Did you all catch this one on the Discovery Channel?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE36V-X6crU[/YOUTUBE]

I'm no firearms freak but I would like to start practicing at the gun range. Something cathartic about blasting your hand cannon. No I won't carry it around with me dirty harry style or get a NRA tat on my chest.

Anyways, I'm currently interested in a Glock 20, standard, 10mm rounds. Concerned that 10mm round may be tough to find.

Any advice, does this sound like a good pistola? Its about 580 bones.

For those against firearms, thats cool, please don't read into this too much.

Vent, I suggest you look at the HK line of pistols.

EDIT - Sorry, posted before I read the thread. How do you like your Glock. My next pistol will be the HK45C. I also want the LWRC PSD in 6.8 SPC. Yes, I am from Texas. Residency awaits.

Too late dude. Glock 23. Done deal.

Never had a .40....after this thread, I went and picked up a Glock 23.....AWESOME gun and caliber...can't believe I waited this long to jump on this caliber.

Venty, what holster are you using?

I am ashamed to admit that I own a great many guns.. The best pistol ever is the SIG P239. I bought mine back when it only came in 9mm. Now I would get it in 357 SIG. SIG is best pistol made. Colt defender .45 comes in second.

For all those anti-gun squirrels out there, gotta nice video on www.liveleak.com for you to see. Type in "one too many hits from the crack pipe" without the quotation marks on the search function and click on the first video. Yeah buddy, lot of "crazies" out there, be careful. Regards, ----Zippy